Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 12,586 times

Advertisements

Do you all consider NYC as having a large Mexican population? I'm asking because I'm looking for cities that do. Right now I'm looking into parts of Texas and Chicago. and I like NYC for various reasons, but I'm wondering if there's Mexican communities and stuff.

Last edited by AnnatasiaValasquez; 11-02-2010 at 11:53 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
There's a large mexican community in mott haven section of the bronx along 138 street. East harlem or spanish harlem has a large significant mexican population. Queens has many mexicans and so does sunset park brooklyn. Most mexicans in nyc come from southern mexico like puebla and chiapas and are not associated with northern mexico like chihuahua and baja california like the american south west. I did notice some mexicans in nyc trying to speak with a west coast mexican syntax and slang. I don't. Think the mexican population in nyc hit 1million yet or even half a million, but I can say there is a lot pf mexican day laborers.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnatasiaValasquez View Post
Do you all consider NYC as having a large Mexican population? I'm asking because I'm looking for cities that do. Right now I'm looking into parts of Texas and Chicago. and I like NYC for various reasons, but I'm wondering if there's Mexican communities and stuff.
Why not just move to Mexico?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 AM

160 posts, read 1,679,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnatasiaValasquez View Post
NYC has a Mexican population, but it isn't as large as the Puerto Rican population here. If your looking into cities, why not look in L.A. They have alot of Mexicans. And you better not say because its dangerous because Chicago is worse.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Most Hispanics in NYC are Puerto Ricans or Domenicans...some Cubans, too. There are Mexicans but the vast majority fall into the big 2 groups above.

Whereas in Texas, Hispanics are almost always Mexicans with a few Cubans/ Salvadorians/ etc mixed in.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 AM

988 posts, read 3,254,997 times
There are quite a few Mexicans in NYC and NJ. There are many in each borough too, ex: East Harlem, Belmont in the Bronx, Northern Staten Island, Corona Queens, Sunset Park Brooklyn and a lot throughout North Bergen NJ, that area. I say close to a half-million and the numbers are growing rapidly. As said above, most are from Puebla or South Mexico. I lived in Chicago and Texas and Texas has mostly Mexicans who's origins are from the border regions and Chicago has mostly from Central Mexico. Chicago has had Mexicans since the 1910s to work the car factories on the Southeast Side. You'd be shocked that Chicago has the 2nd highest numbers of Mexicans behind LA.

If you really want to be around Mexicans(and culture), head to San Antonio, TX. Even though Chicago has the numbers, they don't have the political power up there, same here in NYC.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,716 times
From what I know there is a fairly large Mexican community that is growing in Sunset Park,Brooklyn as poster "latikeriii" previously mentioned.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I would then think you'd do best to look at cities closer to the Mexican border - Phoenix, Albuquerque, etc.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:51 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,638,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

You're annoying.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:56 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I would then think you'd do best to look at cities closer to the Mexican border - Phoenix, Albuquerque, etc.
LOL..While I will not suggest alternative locations for the OP, I will assert that it's hard to place a percentage on the Mexican population in NYC. In addition to documenting legal Mexican residents in the city, one will be hard pressed to estimate the number of illegals whose fluidity often includes constant movements back and forth across the borders and to/from northern cities like NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City