Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:41 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times

Advertisements

on this job 20 years and aside for one or two incidents of mice, i've never had a major problem. however yesterday's announcement does not make it easier to go in Sunday AM, so i am going in later when the maintenance guy comes in just so i can have someone else with me in the building

i mean i've heard of workers being scared of being alone in a building for fear of a human being coming in to do damage but in this case it's fear of a rat...

i already asked the other maintenance guy to have enough toilet tissue in the bathrooms so i do not have to enter a dark supply storage room to get some if you know what i mean......skeeeeve!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
My office is in the worst possible location--right near the end of the #2 IRT train by the subway yards in the Bronx. A woman I have known who lived across the street from the office ( since moved to Yonkers), her house was infested with mice from time to time

anyhow, we were asked to throw out all trash bags at day's end. that is the normal office protocol anyway but it was strictly enforced today because a rat scampered over a co-workers feet this past weekend we were told, who was sitting at one of the phone reception desks

we were also told sealed packets of sweet & low were opened and chewed through in the kitchen area and supposedly the rat that scampered over the worker's feet was cat- sized, was probably pregnant and that they may be multiplying in the building(I did hear a lot of noise in the wall a few weeks ago, a noise i have never heard before and it was not a nice sound, believe me)

i am the shift supervisor on Sundays. I get there first thing in the AM. I spoke with one of the janitors and told him I was not coming in until the other maintenance guy showed up (did not want to be alone in the bldg with any rats). he was like "cool".

my biggest fear is my using the toilet and having a rat walk in on me, lunge for me and bite me, necessitating a rabies shot, a story that would get around the office, if not make the headlines in the local papers

i also bring a bag breakfast lunch with me and have it in my office before anyone even gets in. i am afraid a rat might smell it and come in, corner me with no way out of my office

i know most here are laughing by now, but what i want to know is are these rats that are in our bldg, can they be carrying rabies? will they be scared of me or will they split when they see me?

man this is so grotesque

i have rodentophobia because years ago i went into a storage closet to get some supplies and there must have been at least 15 mice in there that scattered, and believe me i ran from there making the funkiest sounds

to this day i will not go into a supply closet without waiting at least 30 seconds

can anyone share some stories and advise me about these rats?
I understand. I'm even worse. I have a rodent-phobia and can't enjoy sitting at a park bench alone rof fear that a squirrel might attack me. I refuse to use the Jamaica 169 st subway stop because I saw a rat on the platform. When I saw it I ran screaming like a scared child up to the surface. I would quit a job if I knew rats were in the building. So I understand how you feel. I need to stop because i think a rat is behind me now.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
1nevets, there are rats in every building (including yours, although you may not see them), in every train platform, in every office building, and in every restaurant in NYC. So my only advice is to move out of NYC.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:39 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
1nevets, there are rats in every building (including yours, although you may not see them), in every train platform, in every office building, and in every restaurant in NYC. So my only advice is to move out of NYC.
Actually I live on Long Island and I know what you mean. I convinced my GF who lives in Soundview to move from her apartment to better digs in Pelham parkway. There is evidence of mice in her present apartment. I just hope I don't see any mice at the new place or I will have to reevaluate this relationship or get personal counseling. This is a horrible phobia because like you said they are everywhere.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
They are out in Long Island also..don't be fooled by the cleaner streets and grass.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:41 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
yeah, believe it or not there are rats in tony Bronxville too! I heard a story of a girl who vacated her Bronxville apartment to live with her mother because of a rat!

I thought you might have more to say since you live in The Bronx!!

seriously, do you think an office rat will bite me? or only if they are rabid?
It is extremely rare for Rats to have rabies (in fact Rabies is extremely rare in any of the small rodents like rats, mice, squirrels).
Rats are aggressive and intelligent and the possibility of them biting you is always there, unfortunately.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Actually I live on Long Island and I know what you mean. I convinced my GF who lives in Soundview to move from her apartment to better digs in Pelham parkway. There is evidence of mice in her present apartment. I just hope I don't see any mice at the new place or I will have to reevaluate this relationship or get personal counseling. This is a horrible phobia because like you said they are everywhere.
It is a phobia for sure. I can't imagine anyone being afraid of Squirrels (I love love squirrels and have a friend who does squirrel rescue and rehabilitation..the babies are soo active and adorable). Maybe you could consider volunteer work for the Long Island Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Huntington to help you get over over your phobia.
As for rats - I am not afraid of them (or mice for that matter) but unfortunately they only want to survive just like every other living creature. The only way to really deter them is to make sure there is NO food lying around and all garbage in bags.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Default i had mice

in my kitchen frequently 12 years ago i got so used to trapping them i stopped skeeving them, it got to be routine

but rats are different

i worked in a psychology lab with albino rats. we let them crawl all over us, i didn't mind because they were tame, i just pretended they were gerbils

Old 11-19-2010, 03:34 PM

Default well let's say

I'm sitting on the bowl Sunday AM and a rat comes in the bathroom and bites me, should i get a rabies shot?

i don't mean to be morbid, i'm serious.

is this what i should do?

Old 11-19-2010, 03:58 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
No,because there is almost no chance that rats carry rabies.
And rabies requires more than 1 shot.It's a series of shots...to the abdomen with a very large needle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City