Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times

Advertisements

Its the American way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Aint no such thing as a full Puerto Rican
So what is a Puerto Rican then lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
How can there not be such as thing as a "full" PR? You bill yourself as "All" American...which is no different than being "All" or "Full" PR.
Thank you lol.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 PM

961 posts, read 2,465,158 times
Hate to be Politically incorrect, but it is my personal belief that if your fam is from P.R. and the more of a "mutt" or mixed your family tree is, the more Puerto Rican you are, it doesn't matter if you're mixed when that mix comes from the island itself. Afro-boricua, Jibaro, Taino, whatever, ya'll are mutts and its a beautiful thing

Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM

162 posts, read 459,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
haitians are not latino thank you.

were you offended by that statement? Just curious.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:37 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,771,244 times
I'm curious. Is Irene Cara considered black? She is of Puerto Rican and Cuban descent and the majority of her acting roles have been of a black female. On the other hand Rashida Jones (Quincy's daughter) is African American but has never played a role that identified her as black. Has America changed and looking white makes you white. Are the days of "passing" long gone?

Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM

22 posts, read 30,189 times
Default America Ferrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
That girl from Ugly Betty, America Ferrera considers herself to be an Afro-Latina. Her family is from Honduras. The Dominican girl who played Lt. Uhura on the last Star Trek movie considers herself to be "blatina." I kind of like that name. Is that a common phrase among Afro-Latin Americans?
When did America Ferrera say that? I am surprised that is how she identifies herself.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:54 PM

22 posts, read 30,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Eva Longoria and George Perez were found to have African ancestry. I don't think it's a stretch that the wikipedia article is correct. Does anyone have pics of her parents or grandparents? Her African features are just very noticeable. I noticed them very strongly when she was with her "Latino family" on Ugly Betty.
File:AmericaFerreraHSApr10.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The wide nose and cheekbones are dead giveaways to African heritage. The eyes are her native past. The more I look at her the more I believe the article.
I thought the exact same thing too. By no means does it discount her likely "mestizo" ancestry, but her features do seem to have an African influence. I mean that in a complimentary way, because I do find her very attractive.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM

686 posts, read 1,699,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_WM View Post
When did America Ferrera say that? I am surprised that is how she identifies herself.

She never said that, and she doesn't identify as that.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 PM

686 posts, read 1,699,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_WM View Post
I thought the exact same thing too. By no means does it discount her likely "mestizo" ancestry, but her features do seem to have an African influence. I mean that in a complimentary way, because I do find her very attractive.

Her ancestry is primarily mestizo/native american just like bronxguyanese said earlier, Her cheekbones and eyes are because of her Native american ancestry, I don't see any african in her, she's just mestizo.

this site has a list of famous mestizo's at the bottom the page with Ferrera's name on it.
http://http://www.nativewiki.org/Mestizo (broken link)

Last edited by adirondackguy123; 01-24-2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,262 times
The racial breakdown being reported for Honduras is interesting and, IMO is leaving out some categories. For example, it does not categorize people as zambo (mixed black & Amerindian), biracial (mixed black, white) or multiracial (mixed black, white & Amerindian), when it is impossible that these groups do not exist. They report 90% mestizo (white/Amerindian); 7% Amerindian; 2% black; 1% white.

I believe that a portion of the 90% mestizo has African admixture, making them "multigenerationally mixed-race," just like African Americans, Dominicans, some Puerto Ricans, Cubans, etc.

I know many Hondurans in NYC and only one looks fully Amerindian. The rest look multiracial. It is possible that America Ferrera has a grandparent or great-grandparent with significant African admixture, which would explain her appearance.

I think someone should ask her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City