Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrina View Post
crown heights is filled with crime. Im pretty sure you know that right?? It has every ghetto aspect in it.

also eastern crown heights doesnt look much different from Brownsville, especially when you drive past utica and head towards Rochester/Buffalo/ralph ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Hartford, CT is both the state's capital and the poorest and most dangerous city in the US. Followed closely in crime by New Haven, CT, home of Yale.

I felt more unsafe and knew of more attacks and violent crime in my year living in Columbus, Ohio than in all my many years living in "gritty" neighborhoods in LA, San Francisco and (especially) NYC. In fact, NYC seems to be the safest place I've ever lived. I live near ave C (for many, many years) but I'm talking about anecdotal evidence and reporting as well. Also, I'm about to move to Clinton Hill. My take, it ain't hood. Bed Stuy is part hood, part not. That said, if you live in the PJs it's different. They're like mini-islands no matter where you are. and there are PJs in Park Slope, Boerum Hill, and of course my neighborhood. I'm not disparaging those who live in them.
their are no projects in park slope..

my ex girlfriend just moved to new haven about 2 weeks ago. The people she have up their aren't rich or middle class(more like working class). But she claims she is happy that she left the ghettos of nyc, and was shocked when i told her that New haven actually has a higher rate of crime.

she is still used to hearing about a murder everyday on the news back home to nyc, and like most people she doesn't know what murder stats are.

nyc is massive compared to these CT cities so its matter of where you live actually.

btw clinton hill isnt the hood but it has a lot of spill over crime from next door neighbor brownsville.

and the forte green projects(walt whitman/ingersoll houses) are a hell hole, but the whole area as a whole its pretty good.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
remsen village is just something that the map shows, but in reality their is not 1 person who uses it. As a matter of fact i am positive most people living in remsen village don't even know its called remsen village.

the biggest argument with the 90z is if its Brownsville or east flatbush.

growing up most people i met who lived on rutland/winthrop/clarkson claimed brownsville. My ex girlfriend was actually the first person i met who hates people who refer the 90z as being part of brownsville. theirs also a rapper named flawless from rutland plaza who also refers rutland as being a east flatbush hood.

I even know this kid on ave A and east 96th who swears he lives in canarsie.
90s is East Flatbush

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-30-2012, 07:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
crown heights is filled with crime. Im pretty sure you know that right?? It has every ghetto aspect in it.

also eastern crown heights doesnt look much different from Brownsville, especially when you drive past utica and head towards Rochester/Buffalo/ralph ave.
The area of Crown Heights that link is for is actually fine. Crown Heights is a big neighborhood, with good areas and bad areas.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The area of Crown Heights that link is for is actually fine. Crown Heights is a big neighborhood, with good areas and bad areas.
More like block, not area.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:46 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Quote:
Hartford, CT is both the state's capital and the poorest and most dangerous city in the US. Followed closely in crime by New Haven, CT, home of Yale.

I felt more unsafe and knew of more attacks and violent crime in my year living in Columbus, Ohio than in all my many years living in "gritty" neighborhoods in LA, San Francisco and (especially) NYC. In fact, NYC seems to be the safest place I've ever lived. I live near ave C (for many, many years) but I'm talking about anecdotal evidence and reporting as well. Also, I'm about to move to Clinton Hill. My take, it ain't hood. Bed Stuy is part hood, part not. That said, if you live in the PJs it's different. They're like mini-islands no matter where you are. and there are PJs in Park Slope, Boerum Hill, and of course my neighborhood. I'm not disparaging those who live in them.
If this is true... This only reaffirms for me that those stats are bogus and mean absolutely nothing... I've been to New Haven and Hartford and to me, while Hartford was slightly worse neither one of those felt as bad as parts of Bridgeport... Furthermore, to compare a city of 100,000 with a city of 8 million is idiotic... Of course New Haven and Hartford have more per capita crime... they're population is about 2% of NYC's population... Passing through those blocks though, none of them felt shady to me at all... It was one of the quietest hoods i've ever seen... Also with New Haven, a good chunk of that area isn't even hood and is majority middle class... Only parts of it are "ok"... Worse part of the whole area was what they talk about as "The jungle" but in recent years supposedly it's been cleaned up... That was the only area where I felt... Ok, keep your guard up here... Other than that, that hood was tame as hell...

Old 10-01-2012, 05:27 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Poorest and most dangerous city in the US? Absolutely false. Just off the top of my heads these cities are more dangerous (and quite possibly more poor than Hartford):

Camden, NJ
Gary, IN
Richmond, CA
Flint, MI
St. Louis, MO

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-01-2012, 06:11 PM

425 posts, read 958,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
South side BK- Coney Island, Gravsend ( as long as you stay out of the Projects in both these areas you should be good)
Dude, I live in Gravesend, and it's nowhere close to being a "'Hood" it's nothing but multimillion dollar homes and a few old school garden apartments. It is a majority Russian & Jewish Neighborhood with some long term Italian residents who have not left for Staten Island or New Jersey like most of the rest have done.

East New York and Bud-Stuy would be the closest to being what you are looking for, East New York borders the Ozone Park section of Queens near City Line, around the Grant Ave stop on the A train is the border between Brooklyn & Queens.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Poorest and most dangerous city in the US? Absolutely false. Just off the top of my heads these cities are more dangerous (and quite possibly more poor than Hartford):

Camden, NJ
Gary, IN
Richmond, CA
Flint, MI
St. Louis, MO
The interesting thing is that Richmond, CA has a crime rate over double the national average, but its income is actually pretty high. It's $55,558, so it's actually a little higher than NYC (though the per capita income was a little lower). So it's almost like a higher-crime version of NYC. Even the demographics aren't too far off. It's just that Richmond has more Hispanics and fewer Whites.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 PM

423 posts, read 1,281,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The interesting thing is that Richmond, CA has a crime rate over double the national average, but its income is actually pretty high. It's $55,558, so it's actually a little higher than NYC (though the per capita income was a little lower). So it's almost like a higher-crime version of NYC. Even the demographics aren't too far off. It's just that Richmond has more Hispanics and fewer Whites.
The demographics at first glance may seem similar, but the Hispanics over there aren't the same Hispanics as the ones over here. You'll probably find it extremely difficult to find a Puerto Rican or Dominican in Richmond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City