Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 AM

917 posts, read 2,948,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I got nauseous just reading this and thinking about being in this predicament one day.

If/when I do get married, it will be a destination wedding on an island somehere. Whoever wants to come can come. Thankfully i'm with a woman who sees it the same way. Cant see myself dealing with the stress of a traditional wedding.
Well, if I had my way, we'd be in Vegas with an Elvis rabbi, but my in-laws (who have offered to pay for most of it) and my fiance would like something a bit more traditional.

We ended up going with the Faculty House at Columbia University, which ticked all the boxes for us AND they take care of practically everything but flowers and a DJ. It's got an amazing terrace with beautiful views of Morningside Park and Manhattan, the brunch package was VERY affordable, the location is easy to get to with public transportation, and I've eaten at their restaurant and enjoyed the food. The one thing that we decided to do that made things a little more expensive was to rent both reception rooms, which means we'll have the whole building to ourselves that day. The smaller room was beautiful, but it would be hard to fit 100 people and have a dance floor, so we're doing the cocktail reception in that room (and it doubles as a rain site) and the brunch in the bigger, simpler room downstairs. This way, we're not stressed about tables being too crowded or trying to fit in a dance floor, but we get to use the nicer room as well. They've been very accommodating so far and are making the reception planning very simple, which is what I need.

I want to thank everybody for some great recommendations and I really hope other future engaged couples check out some of the options. The one thing I did learn was that you do really need to ready to book a place at least a year out if you want a summer wedding because these venues fill up fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:01 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Congratulations on picking the venue! Now your real wedding planning can begin. Enjoy!

There are definitely ways to do the wedding affordably. My husband and his best man did the flowers for our wedding - went to the flower market on 28th street at 5am on Thursday before the wedding. Even made the bouquets! It turned out fabulous (many asked what florist we used because they liked it so much) and saved a ton of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City