Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:08 PM

35 posts, read 190,398 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am considering on relocating to New York, NY and I would like to receive your advice regarding the:

Transit system - from the neighborhood boroughs?

Schools - How are the schools in the city? How do they rank from all other states?

Income Tax - What is the % for income tax?

Rental Cost - Cost to rent a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment, condo/loft, home in the neighborhood boroughs?

Areas to Live in the city - easy walking commute to and from, stores, restaurants, affordable housing, etc..

I found a reasonable rental unit in Bronx, NY and I wanted to find out if anyone knows about this neighborhood - Walton Avenue near the Bronx Courthouse and minutes from the Yankee stadium?

I hope some one out there who is already living in the city is able to help me with these important questions.

In advance, thank you and I appreciate all of your help, assistance, and your informative knowledge!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Transit system: Dirty, run down, packed, slow as hell at night. This is MTA NYC. In the Bronx, everything is "extra" dirty. It is the BX after all. The neighborhoods around subways are some of the worst areas in the borough with a few exception. Be careful where you live.

Schools: NYC has among the worst schools in the nation. The Bronx has the worst schools in NYC. Speaks for itself.

Income tax: Depends on your income. If you are living comfortable it's over 7%, I could be wrong. The same for the whole city.

Rent: The median contract rent in the Bronx is low in comparison to the other parts of the city. It's also full of housing projects and other low income housing. You get what you pay for, remember that.

Overall the city rent is high.

Areas to live in the city:

Bronx - Riverdale, Country Club, Woodlawn, City Island, Throgs Neck, Pelham Bay, Morris Park. Pretty much everything else is the hood.

Quote:
I found a reasonable rental unit in Bronx, NY and I wanted to find out if anyone knows about this neighborhood - Walton Avenue near the Bronx Courthouse and minutes from the Yankee stadium?
Haha, oh man. Put it this way. E 165th and Walton is the angel dust capital of the world. Well that's what many people have called it for years. Very BAD neighborhood. Someone got shot on Walton tonight, an hour later someone else was shot a block away. Some neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:35 PM

81 posts, read 615,505 times
I live in the Bronx and I can tell you it costs to live in nice areas. I live in the Morris Park section. I rent a one bedroom for $1100 in a great building. My apartment is huge! The two bedrooms run for about $1400 and are very spacious. I live very close to the train, which is a quiet station at Morris Park. It's actually the one of the few train stations in the Bronx where you can actually live around and not worry about people hanging around. However, I hate the train, so I take an express bus, which runs about $164 for an unlimited monthly pass and I can take two lines both within walking distance and be to work in 45 minutes.

In terms of schools, I don't have kids, but I certainly would not send my kids to public school. However, there are some private and/or catholic schools that are pretty good.

If you are looking to buy a place forget about it. Single family homes and coops are very expensive in the nice sections (same sections the previous poster mentioned). I'm in the process of searching for a home and I've settled on Connecticut. New York is just way too expensive and I want a bigger bang for my buck.

Oh...and I definitely wouldn't live anywhere new Yankee Stadium or any part of the South Bronx. It's going through this whole gentrification period, however, that's going to take years to transform.

Good luck!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 PM

242 posts, read 926,820 times
if i had 100k that i could afford to lose, i'd buy a condo by yankee stadium, seems like that area could turn around in 15 years. seems like one of those long shot bets that might pay off big. No way in hell id live there now.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post
if i had 100k that i could afford to lose, i'd buy a condo by yankee stadium, seems like that area could turn around in 15 years. seems like one of those long shot bets that might pay off big. No way in hell id live there now.
Too bad the area is FULL of low income housing. From NYCHA to LAMP. It will never transform.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:08 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,550 times
Try Pelham Parkway. The western end of Morris Park. It has a mix of people including Albanians, Jewish, and Asians.

Rents run from $800-$1000 for a 1br apt.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubBR View Post
Try Pelham Parkway. The western end of Morris Park. It has a mix of people including Albanians, Jewish, and Asians.

Rents run from $800-$1000 for a 1br apt.
Good recommendation.

It's a pretty dense neighborhood. However don't think it's disneyland. Area has it's problems. White Plains Road is a robbery hot spot, there is also drug activity. Overall the area is so so though. Houses in the area are much better then the buildings. If you must go out at night, keep an eye open or avoid it completely. Especially if you live near White Plains Road. That should be the standard for every area in NYC though.

These days it's also more Latino then anything too. A lot of White flight.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:48 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Good recommendation.

It's a pretty dense neighborhood. However don't think it's disneyland. Area has it's problems. White Plains Road is a robbery hot spot, there is also drug activity. Overall the area is so so though. Houses in the area are much better then the buildings. If you must go out at night, keep an eye open or avoid it completely. Especially if you live near White Plains Road. That should be the standard for every area in NYC though.

These days it's also more Latino then anything too. A lot of White flight.
White Plains Rd. is a problem. A co-worker of mine got off the 2 train one day and was pistol whipped across the head. He had his chain stolen. Clearly, this robbery was planned. Another incident: my friend was walking towards the subway and was robbed for his watch and wallet. There were 2 young men who committed the initial robbery and another man waiting at the subway entrance- BLOCKING IT. These robberies are gang related and PRE-MEDITATED. The man blocking the entrance was the "elder" gang member who ordered the younger gang members to do the actual robbing.

Parts of the Bronx is foul, that's why I'm moving to Morris Park as soon as I can

Old 07-18-2007, 08:48 AM

81 posts, read 615,505 times
Like any where...you just have to be smart and mind your surroundings. I lived in the area about five years ago on Barnes between Lydig and Brady. It was a great area when I moved in (around 1996). It was my first apartment in a well kept building. I had a great apartment...it was spacious and my rent was dirt cheap. However, around 2001 I could see it was changing and certainly not for the better. I moved to Hone Ave. which is not too far away from Barnes, but it's a completely different world. The rents are higher though. I also avoid the subway and stick with the express bus.

I still think there's hope for that area though. It looks like they are building more cooperative/condo units and I've heard a few of the buildings may be turning coop. It all remains to be seen.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:11 PM

242 posts, read 926,820 times
my top bx picks would be riverdale, country club, city island (bad traffic especialy in summer), throgs neck (except the part by the projects, the closer to LI sound the better), morris park (the further west and north you go the better), and pelham parkway (the further west of williamsbridge and south of allerton ave the better).

on a side note, bx could use some better express subways. Its faster to get to midtown from nassau and westchester by train most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City