Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 21,943 times

Advertisements

I recently rented apartment in the Upper West around Lincoln Centre without really Googling it. I checked before renting that I probably shouldn't rent in the lower east side (alphabet city), but assumed anywhere in Upper West is safe.

Today though I found that the the above areas are used for public housing? Would this area be safe then? I understand a lot of students live here, so it should be ok right? I'm female will only be in the area for a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:39 AM

5,518 posts, read 8,766,208 times
You should be perfectly safe in this neighborhood.The PJs are on the Far West, between Amsterdam and West End, and practically the only reminder of this nabe's "West Side Story" slum days. They are now hemmed in by Lincoln Center, Fordham University, and tons of very expensive hi-rise housing. I wouldn't worry in the least, especially since you will likley never have any reason to go over there--everything really interesting in that slice of the West Side is between Amsterdam and Central Park West.

Last edited by citylove101; 01-13-2011 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
Even if you happen to come across the Amsterdam houses they aren't all that bad. I had a friend who lived next to them and one evening i accidentally got out of the cab and had to walk through. THere was a police officer and I asked him if it was ok and he said "Mostly families, just walk down the middle of the side walk". No one said anything, actually no one even seemed to notice.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:38 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
agree- no worries!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the info... I actually live right between amsterdam and west end :S... Should I refrain from walking around after a certain time?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:56 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
You should be fine, though just don't walk through any housing project where you don't belong at night. Around Lincoln Center, however, there are not many problems, far fewer than one would experience on the LES, so I agree that I would not be worried about the area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,060,981 times
For some housing projects that would apply to anytime not only at night.
I once took a shortcut through the Queensbridge houses at 8:30am after I got off the subway at Queens Plaza
while heading to work at 36th Ave/9th St in LIC.

These 2 big black guys followed me for a couple of blocks and shouted why I was going there to buy drugs, lol.
I kept on walking and didn't respond but it was a close call.

I told the story to my coworkers and they laughed and advised me never to do that again.
To stick to the major streets such as 21st.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Alphabet City isn't that bad anymore. I knew someone with a job in finance who had an apartment there.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,289,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Alphabet City isn't that bad anymore. I knew someone with a job in finance who had an apartment there.
....says the man who lives in Massachusetts!!

C'mon. Yes, a lot of Alpha City/ LES is "gentrified" now but Ave D and the LES projects are NOT a safe area. It is one of the highest crime precincts in the city.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM

I know a lot of students from the nearby schools live there (especially as it's so close to Julliard), so that's why I thought it was quite safe. But thanks for the information, I really appreciate the responses and I am definitely less worried now, the apartment is really nice and has a lot of light exposure, so it's much better than some of the other ones I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City