Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 02:03 AM

239 posts, read 724,665 times

Advertisements

Hey I just would like to know from you guys in your opinion what do you think are 5 Pros and 5 Cons of NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 AM

243 posts, read 1,334,593 times
My opinion :

5 pro's -

1) Small grocery stores open 24/7. You can run out and grab something you need quick any time you want.
2) 24/7 Transit System.
3) There is always something to do if you want to - bars , museums , pro sports teams and arenas. If you choose to live an active lifestyle here , you will never be bored.
4) The experience NYC life provides in learning to deal with all types of people. Being born and raised in the city you really can go anywhere in the country or world and handle yourself well.
5) The variety of neighborhoods the city offers. We have it all here from slums to skyscrapers.

5 con's -
1) City government is too far politically left for me (for others this would be a plus or big plus - but not for me. My #1 issue with this is the fanatical gun control.)
2) Alternate side parking and parking in general.
3) City is way too loud and noisy.
4) The rents are way to high , even for apartments in poor condition. Even rent stabilizibed apartments are often outrageously expensive.
5) Traffic is really bad throughout the day , even from way before and after 'rush hours'. Highway construction at night and on weekends creates disasters even worse than rush hour traffic , most of the time.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 AM

43,706 posts, read 44,473,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
My opinion :

5 pro's -

1) Small grocery stores open 24/7. You can run out and grab something you need quick any time you want.
2) 24/7 Transit System.
3) There is always something to do if you want to - bars , museums , pro sports teams and arenas. If you choose to live an active lifestyle here , you will never be bored.
4) The experience NYC life provides in learning to deal with all types of people. Being born and raised in the city you really can go anywhere in the country or world and handle yourself well.
5) The variety of neighborhoods the city offers. We have it all here from slums to skyscrapers.

5 con's -
1) City government is too far politically left for me (for others this would be a plus or big plus - but not for me. My #1 issue with this is the fanatical gun control.)
2) Alternate side parking and parking in general.
3) City is way too loud and noisy.
4) The rents are way to high , even for apartments in poor condition. Even rent stabilizibed apartments are often outrageously expensive.
5) Traffic is really bad throughout the day , even from way before and after 'rush hours'. Highway construction at night and on weekends creates disasters even worse than rush hour traffic , most of the time.
To add to the above:
Pros: You can find a lot of free activities in NYC especially in the summer months for people with low budgets.
If Manhattan is too noisy for you, you can live in one of the boroughs where it tends to be quieter than Manhattan and have locally good restaurants, shopping, parks, etc. (without having to go into Manhattan for everything).

Old 01-25-2011, 04:35 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,961,229 times
I'll add to the above as well:

Pros:
- Can eat good food from many different ethnicities

Con:
- If you don't like crowds a city is not for you in general, but NYC especially
- To add on to the rents being high comment, you pay these high rents for basically living in a closet and also its very easy for the spread of roaches in apartments in NYC

Given all the pros and cons I still love NYC!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:22 AM

134 posts, read 127,185 times
Pros
- You do not need to own a automobile, just rely on public transportation.
- Great colleges here
- Diversity (if that's your thing)
-4 season climate

Cons
- Rent is too high, the only cheap places are in the bad neighborhoods
- Things get old here pretty quick, I often find myself bored (And I live in Manhattan)
- Insanely liberal politics
- Rude people
- Cold weather
- Parts of the city are REALLY filthy

Some of the pros and cons will depend on the individual. What maybe a con to me might be a pro to somebody else. Live in Manhattan so you won't be bored, the outer boroughs are just boring residential areas with nothing to do.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 AM

442 posts, read 1,297,543 times
pro's
great specialty food venues for specific needs i.e. if your vegan
great shopping
majority of people non judgemental and dont care what you do or how you look, this is a big one, every where else i go i feel like people are looking at me
good parks, near water, good bball games in summer

cons
expensive
crowded
tourists and newcomers are annoying at times
theres always crazy people on the buses and trains and people ALWAYS begging for money

on average people ask me for money 4-5 times a day during a regular commute day. real annoying

Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,923,027 times
pro's
Lots of activities
Good high paying jobs (if you're qualified, know the right people, or are lucky)
Food and entertainment of all kind

cons
expensive (food, living, and travel expenses)
crowded
it's a melting pot and sometimes the pot does not mix well

Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,923,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
pro's
majority of people non judgemental and dont care what you do or how you look, this is a big one, every where else i go i feel like people are looking at me
I feel the opposite. If you don't fit into a stereotype, people will judge and look at you funny.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:53 PM

222 posts, read 715,552 times
PROs

1. The availability of great food in Manhattan in supermarkets, farmers' markets and organic health food stores.

2. Lots of economic opportunity if you have the smarts and the determination to work hard.

3. Great architecture. I still get a thrill walking around and looking at the buildings on the side streets in the West Village and that's after 30 years living in the nabe.

4. There are many places to take courses to learn about anything. I 've taken classes in calligraphy, yoga, Indian cooking, ayurvedic medicine, computer programming, etc. You name it, NYC's got it.

5. You'll certainly keep fit walking in this city. Great for your health and your pocketbook!

CONs

1. The noise. It's bad. It makes me crazy.

2. The housing. It's exorbitant and you get very little for your money. I bought a 3-bedroom house in upstate New York for less than I'd pay for a studio apartment in a crappy area.

3. Angry people and negative attitudes. Some people are very unpleasant and rude. I try to ignore them, but it's annoying.

4. Waiting on lines. Whatever you want to do, there are at least ten people who want to do the same thing as you.

5. The summer. It's hot, sticky and stinky. The angry people are even angrier and crazier. Escape if you can.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:40 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,594,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrnicolas84 View Post
I feel the opposite. If you don't fit into a stereotype, people will judge and look at you funny.
I disagree. I fit into a lot of boxes and I love that. I can blend in in many areas and not be noticed at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City