Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:51 AM

67 posts, read 92,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAIRYDAD View Post
Anybody paying more than 1,500 a month is a stupid moron it cost a owner less than 500 pure profit!
Dude, I don't know what you've been smoking but you are clueless on how things work in the real estate industry. I suggest you go back to your unrenovated, run down, $34 a month rent control apt. LOL

You get what you pay for!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 07:08 AM

107,080 posts, read 109,388,270 times
He coulnt live in my parking spot for 34.00 a month lol

Old 02-28-2011, 12:30 PM

38 posts, read 23,365 times
Looks like the pro-regulation lobby will get what it wants:
Battle to renew New York's rent-regulation laws may be decided next month - Stuy Town's Lux Living - Stuyvesant Town NYC
This will turn the clock back 20 years to very strict rent controls.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,410,384 times
Just what the city was missing...stricter rent controls.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
anyone know how much the city pays landlords to house homeless?

Old 05-04-2011, 10:27 AM

38 posts, read 23,365 times
I agree.
But I skimmed through it. It basically expounds on the fact that the rent control system is a disaster for market rent tenants and for tax payers, to the benefit of the "protected" tenants. I call this group "the anointed ones" because they believe that their interests inherently supersede those of everyone else.

Unfortunately, I think that Cuomo said yesterday that he will "aggressively" seek to expand the rent control system. That's exactly the OPPOSITE of what he should be doing.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:16 PM

18,506 posts, read 31,728,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashely2011 View Post
Dude, I don't know what you've been smoking but you are clueless on how things work in the real estate industry. I suggest you go back to your unrenovated, run down, $34 a month rent control apt. LOL

You get what you pay for!!!

Oh no you dont!!!

I have seem many a crap hole apartments in manhattan for exorborant (sp) amount of rent, and are a complete dump.

most of the lower east side tenements are dumps from the word go, as is the Village and Chelsea...and people pay ridiculous amounts of rent to live in them.....

Old 05-04-2011, 04:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,668 times
I've had an entertaining few hours reading the semiliterate ravings posted by teabaggers and others of that crew...

Rent control for NYC is mandatory and essential. Landlords who buy buildings with controlled or stabilized tenants know what they're getting into, so don't waste your pity on these weasels.

As for tenants, I'm a senior living on Social Security and the odd freelance job (you may have noticed it's really really hard to find fulltime work out there lately...), and I thank God daily for rent control, because without it I'd be living in the streets. I pray that Governor Cuomo looks after people like me, because nobody else is. I have paid taxes and worked here my whole life, and yes, I DO feel entitled to be taken care of a little in my new seniorness. Would you Republican thugs like everyone over age 65 to be forced into the streets to suffer and die just to spare you your richie tax cuts? You make me sick.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 AM

25,424 posts, read 37,199,557 times
Yes evil tenants benefit by increases in the value of their apartments but saintly landlords deserve the billions they reap from the same price appreciation.

Too bad more landlords aren't canonized into the saints we all know they are. They spend their whole lives with no goal other than the happiness of their tenants, all the while losing FORTUNES to those they work so tirelessly for.

To read more, pick up any book by Lewis Carroll.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:45 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,410,384 times
Rent control is neither mandatory or essential...and just about every other city across the country does great without it..why is that? It is mandatory and essential for those who benefit from it at the expense of everyone else....so essentially we have a protected class, some that are "more equal" than others. When was that ever good for our country?

Your attitude says it all.."don't waste your pity on these weasles"....that's the mentality of the typical tenant who contributes nothing and expects/"deserves" everything at the price they determine is fair...she is "entitled" to use her words....welcome to rent control in NYC.

For the record, without rent control you would not be out in the streets, or dying in the streets...more lies spread by people who want to keep the gravy train going. The reality is:

1. If you lost your apt you would go to a shelter
2. The city would find permanent housing for you that you could afford via a voucher or another program OR they would pay for your flight to another city to live with friends/family/start a new life
3. And life would go on for you and everyone else, FAIRLY, with no rent control.

The end.

The only thing sick here is rent control and the complete distortion of the market to benefit a few at the expense of everyone else. That's sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City