Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM

38 posts, read 23,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRennie View Post
I've had an entertaining few hours reading the semiliterate ravings posted by teabaggers and others of that crew...

Rent control for NYC is mandatory and essential. Landlords who buy buildings with controlled or stabilized tenants know what they're getting into, so don't waste your pity on these weasels.

As for tenants, I'm a senior living on Social Security and the odd freelance job (you may have noticed it's really really hard to find fulltime work out there lately...), and I thank God daily for rent control, because without it I'd be living in the streets. I pray that Governor Cuomo looks after people like me, because nobody else is. I have paid taxes and worked here my whole life, and yes, I DO feel entitled to be taken care of a little in my new seniorness. Would you Republican thugs like everyone over age 65 to be forced into the streets to suffer and die just to spare you your richie tax cuts? You make me sick.
Oh my! Where do I even begin dealing with an attitude like this? It's a very sad combination of intense but irrational animosity and entitlement. Well, here goes.

First of all, I'm not a raving, semiliterate (your spelling) teabagger. Nor am I a weasel or a Republican thug. In fact, I'm not even a Republican. I'm a registered Democrat but obviously not the sternly ideological type with whom you prefer associating.

I should have anticipated the "they wanna throw the old lady into the street" garbage. That convenient myth is based on a basic lack of knowledge of current rent regulation law. So permit me to educate you. It's practically impossible to evict any of the anointed ones. The exception being of course the event of a complete cessation of rent payments (and I have a strange feeling that you would not even accept that as an adequate reason for a weasel to evict one of the anointed). The system in place is one of very slooooow vacancy deregulation. That means it has NO effect on current tenants. You can sit on your bargain apartment for another thousand years if you want. You're "protected" for life. Geez, you can even pass the legal owner's apartment on to the next generation as if it were part of your estate!

Now let me be blunt.
You want to extend this sick system to your wealthy pals raking in 300,000 grand, and I make YOU sick?!?!
You claim that you're "entitled" to feed out of the trough of market rate renters and the taxpayers of New York, and I make YOU sick?!?!

You're commentary absolutely reeks of gall and hypocrisy.
No, lady, you make ME sick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 03:22 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times
nooooooooooo not all landlords knew what they were getting into with rent stabilization. many ,many are origonal old time owners who were fooled into goiing along with the program. they were assured rents would always be fair and it was only to prevent gouging..

well that was until it turned into one of the biggest political ploys of the century and rents fell way way below market..

Old 05-22-2011, 03:20 AM

84 posts, read 398,340 times
I pay $34 a month anyone paying more than 1,500 is being overcharged!pure profit

Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 AM

why not find another refrigerator carton and add another wing. you can get a lot more living space for your 34 bucks.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:59 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nooooooooooo not all landlords knew what they were getting into with rent stabilization. many ,many are origonal old time owners who were fooled into goiing along with the program. they were assured rents would always be fair and it was only to prevent gouging..

well that was until it turned into one of the biggest political ploys of the century and rents fell way way below market..
can you expand more on this? how exactly were they tricked?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-22-2011, 06:05 PM

when the rent stabilization bill was passed in 1969 landlords were told they would be given a 10 year tax abatement for coming on board with the program.

they were promised rent increases would always be fair and real market rates, that it was only to prevent gouging.

well it became a political ploy to win votes and rent increases were far from market rates. in exchange for a tax break back in 1969 when taxes were miniscule landlords got screwed with below market rates for decades..

that even effected values as buildings were sold based on rent roll not real worth..

Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,977 times
There have been a number of comments made here about rent control and rent stabilization in New York. Most seem to believe that there are a horde of secret millionaires inhabiting these low rent apartments. This unfortunately is a popular fairy tale. Certainly there are a few high income people residing in those places. But the vast majority are seniors who are retired and on a very limited income. If rent control and stabilization were to be eliminated, there would simply be thousands of people living in the streets of New York or trying to squeeze into already overcrowded public shelters. Many do not realize that in these shelters there are people who work full time. They go to work every day and earn a salary but cannot afford an apartment anywhere in the five boroughs or even in the near suburbs.
According to the 2005 Housing and Vacancy Survey, there are now (as of 2005) only 43,000 rent-controlled apartments in New York City. The median income of those households was $22,200. The median rent is $551 per apartment, and the median household pays over 33.5% of income for rent. The city’s rent-controlled tenants are mostly elderly – with most tenants having lived in their apartments since 1971 or before. The federal benchmark for an affordable rent is less than 1/3 of income – it is 30% of income. Those in rent controlled apartments often pay more than the Federal guidelines.
In addition to annual or semi-annual rent increases, renters pay fuel pass-along increases and capital improvement increases. Landlords can also apply for relief if they feel they are not making a reasonable profit.
Some of the commenter’s question the right of people to remain in their apartments. They seem to feel that if one cannot afford an astronomical rent they should just go somewhere else, anywhere else, just get out of their way. In fact, the right to be secure in a stable home is one of the most basic of human rights. These are our homes and we do have a right to remain in them, the fact that we lease them rather than purchase in not relevant.
Most of us have lived in New York all our lives. We worked hard, paid our taxes, did our jury duty and other public service and did what we could to make the city better.
Perhaps some of the commenter’s have arrives here from other parts of the country and expect us to jump out of their way. We will not.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:02 PM

oh please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City