Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New York City from DC, Manhattan middle class neighborhood for single college educated heterosexual male, affordable studio apartment, no gays or housing projects

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:20 AM

564 posts, read 1,727,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So it basically boils down to, would you prefer Bay Ridge to become hipster-ville or would you rather prefer it become Little Beirut? Personally I lean towards the hipsters.
Little Beirut works for me. I didn't know immigrants from Lebanon were still coming in, though. I thought the period of immigration for them was 1900-1920 and 1970-1980 for them.

Quote:
and Italians but it meant higher rents, more crime, etc., then i would be against that.
If more Italians means more mobsters, I'm all for it. I missed out on the period of the mob. I wish I could've grown up when my parents were my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 07:36 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post

If more Italians means more mobsters, I'm all for it. I missed out on the period of the mob. I wish I could've grown up when my parents were my age.

this is one of the most bigoted, racist statement I've seen anyone post on these forums!
What a narrow minded, ill informed, ignorant view of things

Old 07-22-2007, 07:45 AM

Relax, I was just pushing the limit. I know not all Italians are mobsters, just like not all Muslims are terrorists and not all Irish drink.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:27 AM

82 posts, read 305,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah the middle class in Manhattan is dead, its only rich & poor now.

thats what I feared, but was hoping maybe some of the natives had some info that would indicate otherwise.

oh well, i suppose I should look into queens or brooklyn for now

Old 07-22-2007, 08:47 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post
thats what I feared, but was hoping maybe some of the natives had some info that would indicate otherwise.

oh well, i suppose I should look into queens or brooklyn for now
don't believe it, with a little leg work a reasonably priced apartment can be found in decent areas of manhattan, you won't get a doorman, concierge, terrace with a view of the skyline and marble lobby and the building will be older with older appliances and fixtures, but they are there to be found, it just takes legwork and luck.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
I thought there was still a good number of Arabs moving into Bay Ridge? Not as many as Pre-9/11, but still a good number. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
Little Beirut works for me. I didn't know immigrants from Lebanon were still coming in, though. I thought the period of immigration for them was 1900-1920 and 1970-1980 for them.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:14 AM

Yeah my real fear is what is going to happen if the city suddenly becomes untrendy or really violent again? All of these hipsters are going to flee for the suburbs in a matter of months.

Even if they don't all flee at once, is there any real chance that these people are going to stick around for more than a decade or so? Once these people get married, I really can't see most of them staying on and putting their kids into the local public schools.

Is our only hope then to just encourage a never ending stream of hipsters to move into Manhattan?

BTW, are there really that many hipsters moving into Bay Ridge? I thought they all kept to themselves up in Park Slope/Williamsburg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
fifth, i don't think that we have to choose between outsiders and jamaican drug lords yet. but, if we continue to develop every sq. inch of the city limits, then the surplus housing left over after the hipsters have left and nyc is no longer the chic, posh, fun thing to do will make the choice for us. then, you will have your vacuum and scumbags will definitely start to move in. the key is for the city to exercise a little forethought before acceding to the short-term demand of people who won't make any long-term impact or difference anyways.

sixth, the majority of the outsiders who move here are really, really obnoxious. clams who act like their jank is made of platnum, carrying their little doggies in arm bags with their heads sticking out like paris hilton, wearing oversized sunglasses, taking up as much room as they can on the sidewalk, having overly loud, vapid conversations on the train. dudes who went to prep school but act like they're gansta, wearing collar-up shirts, tight jeans, etc., talkin overly loud on the train about their frat parties at dartmouth, how much they make, etc. in one second and then about how tough they are in the next, etc. i think i have as much right to find these outsiders as objectionable as any reasonable person and complain about their infestation of my joint.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I thought there was still a good number of Arabs moving into Bay Ridge? Not as many as Pre-9/11, but still a good number. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The Arabs that are moving in are the ones from the Gulf. However, Arabs by the Mediterranean Sea (the Syrians and Lebanese) stopped coming years ago. They're actually the more "Whiter" arabs, and because some have been here for a century or more, are classified as White. Brooklyn has had a Syrian Jew population for some time, I believe, of which Jerry Seinfeld was from. Michigan has had a stabilized Lebanese population, especially around Detroit, for half a century or more.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:56 AM

Yeah same thing for Paterson, NJ and the surrounding towns, lots of Arabs from Syrian & Lebanon live there. Their big community, which is still somewhat intact, is in South Paterson and has been around for 100 years.

What do you mean by Gulf arabs? Omanis or Yemenis or something?

Old 07-22-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah same thing for Paterson, NJ and the surrounding towns, lots of Arabs from Syrian & Lebanon live there. Their big community, which is still somewhat intact, is in South Paterson and has been around for 100 years.
Yeah, they've stayed put. They were there when the area was just another working class White resident area in the late 1890s, and when it became a poorer near ghetto like area in the the late 20th century.

Quote:
What do you mean by Gulf arabs? Omanis or Yemenis or something?
Yup. Just about every bodega owner in the city is a Yemeni when he's not Hispanic. Some of them are actually illegal immigrants.

Last edited by Freak; 07-22-2007 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City