Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
The back yard is boring as hell. People like to see other people, hence sitting in FRONT of the house or apartment

Winter here in NY is so long and endless, the first signs of any decent weather people are outside.

It is fun to sit on someones stoop for an hour and chit chat, watch the people pass by, then go home and call it a day.

We Brooklynites do it all the time.

I don't see anything low class about it. Who made that rule up?
Yeah this is the kind of things that brings life to the neighborhood. I don't see the interest in living in a depressing area with empty streets, where people stay at home and don't interact with the neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 02:47 AM

123 posts, read 176,783 times
I dont have too much problem here with the old people. They are usually playing chess or something as I pass by. Maybe they collect social security, I dont know. The young ones bother me when they bunch up on the sidewalk. Then they laugh because I dare to pass. You know those àre up to something...

Old 09-02-2013, 08:16 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
I lived in an area that had this issue. It was a low/middle class neighborhood but all these people used to hang out in front of the local deli and on sit on the sidewalk in folding chairs. It was definitely a turn off to go into the deli as they would all stare you down. And they were definitely bad news, cops were always there.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:34 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook617 View Post
I dont have too much problem here with the old people. They are usually playing chess or something as I pass by. Maybe they collect social security, I dont know. The young ones bother me when they bunch up on the sidewalk. Then they laugh because I dare to pass. You know those àre up to something...
I don't have a problem with anyone hanging out in front of their own building or house as long as they
don't bother anyone else. But the young people are more problematic because they are immature and
more likely to cause some type of problem with people if they are in big groups, it only takes one bad
apple within them to start a riot like a virus in the group and harassing people who happen to walk pass
by them. Even if they might not meant to harm people in anyway and do it out of boredom, but it's still
annoying and intimidating at night especially if you are female.

I love the old people with their folding chairs sitting outside their houses on my block during the summer.
They are very friendly with people from the block and usually keep a watchful eye on children playing
outside. It's very sad one of Italian grandpa from my block passed away last year, he was like a fixture on
the block with his wife as long as weather is permitting them to stay outside during the summer and fall.
They are genuinely nice people and a good family.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:40 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxefforts95 View Post
Seriously, life is way too short to be concerned about this unless there is a reason to. be concerned. Advice to all, smile and say hello. You never know if one of them can help you out some how or watch you car etc.
Your the one so concerned you pulled up a 2 year old thread...

Old 09-02-2013, 03:14 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
i was once biking down the Gr Concourse between Bedford Park and Kingsbridge I noticed several families set up tables,chairs and food and chowing down on the sidewalk. is this common in The Bronx in general or just that particular area?

Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
hanging out by bldg entrances is the rule rather than the exception by me on Broadway, especially between 251st and 252nd street where there are many apartments, but nobody ever has said or done anything inappropriate. post dinner time on weekends its extremely common to see that

Old 09-02-2013, 03:35 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
People that do not like when others use public or shared space as a living room either live in crap neighborhoods where they probably don't belong, or are from a non-urban area altogether.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:38 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
I had an elderly neighbor who was disabled. I use to help her out on the street and fold out her plastic chair. She did not disturb anyone. I guess she just wanted to sit there and watch ppl come and go and reminisce of what once was in a different time and space far away.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:17 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
People that do not like when others use public or shared space as a living room either live in crap neighborhoods where they probably don't belong, or are from a non-urban area altogether.
Do people really bring their folding chairs out of their apartments and set them up on the sidewalks in the nicer more upscale areas of NYC? Are people setting up folding chairs on sidewalks and sitting all day in Tribeca and Brooklyn Heights?

I have a problem with it because it seems low-class. I do NOT have a problem with stoop sitting. The difference is the actual placing of a folding chair on a sidewalk. Sidewalks were meant for walking and are not intended to be people's front yard where they can bring whatever accoutrements out with them. (Of course this is just my opinion and I have noted that others have differing opinions on this)

Next you'll be having sidewalk grills, card tables, haircut chairs, barbecues, playpens...oh wait, this is already going on in the lower income neighborhoods already. It's a slippery slope. Start with a folding chair and end up with the entire apartment out on the sidewalk.

I was in nice middle class area of Astoria across from a health food store and nice restaurant yesterday and saw a guy out with a newspaper next to him enjoying the weather on a built in city-owned sidewalk bench. So far so good. When I passed closer by, I noticed he was clipping his toenails. So he's using a bench and not a folding chair (good) but engaging in activities that should be restricted to his own apartment. I had a problem with that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: