Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,231 times

Advertisements

hello everyone im a parent of five two in college one teenager about to graduate and my little autistic son too. Im frustrated because my lease is not up and work advantage never contacted me about it bein renewed my landlord keeps calling me telling me he wants his money . I did the fifty dollar thing and had to pay a certain amount each month. I work a part time job and cant pay 1,314.00 a month. Ive been here for 1yr and half .please give me a solution or a number to call for the sake of my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 06:25 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
This is why I would never rent to people on programs. It is not your landlord's fault that you are a single mom with 5 kids. It is your responsibility to either come up with the money or leave. Don't you realize the landlord also has his or her financial obligations. Step up and be responsible for you and your kids.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:39 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
same here, and not only that i dont rent to anyone who cant come up with first months rent,last months rent and a month security. i need them to have enough money in the bank so their issues are not my issues .

last thing i need is a tenant who lives check to check. i have enough issues of my own without adopting a new family and their problems or poor planning issues.. personally i would have loved lots of kids but the fact is we were smart enough to realize in the event of illness,divorce,death or job loss we couldnt support anymore then we decided to have with out hitting up tax payors to support my family, and that includes affording life insurance

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-12-2011 at 07:08 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 PM

82 posts, read 175,680 times
212-828-9036.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 6,292 times
what you can do is wait for an eviction notice, once you have that go to court apply for jiggets is a program that helps u pay rent for 5 years and more,and not sure where you live but look that up..that will help u. good luck

Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LADYROSE618 View Post
what you can do is wait for an eviction notice, once you have that go to court apply for jiggets is a program that helps u pay rent for 5 years and more,and not sure where you live but look that up..that will help u. good luck

.... and screw the landlord and the taxpayers who will end up supporting this person and her 5 children. Great advice.

Here's some advice: Get off your social program, get a freaking JOB, and stop popping out babies that you cannot afford to support. It's not the landlord's problem that you can't afford your rent. Get out and collect soda cans and do whatever you have to do to pay your rent instead of waiting for the State or City to support you.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:56 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
This is a sad situation for everyone, the mom, the kids, and the Landlord for that matter...there are no winners here..only losers. Annee...if you have 5 kids to support and only work a part-time job...didn't you realize there was a BIG problem here long before you came upon this unfortunate situation?

With 5 kids to support, you need to forget about a part-time job and get a full time anything, and really hustle and take control of this situation instead of "can anyone help me on city-data." Move out of your apt into a studio that you can afford..a basement studio in fact as they are usually cheaper and forget about depending on the gov't. Your teenagers in college may need to assist, and work full time and only go to school part-time if needed so they can contribute.

This isn't a perfect solution, but neither is expecting handouts to support you...and then go thru this over and over again every time your susbidy terminated and you go back to a shelter/ruin your credit and permanently are screwed.

If you take control, forsake the subsidy and sacrifice in the studio, yes it will be tight and uncomfortable, but it's what you can afford and you can pay your own bills and work towards something better, fix your credit, and ultimately be independent. THAT is a solution ....waiting/expecting another handout is the easy way out and doesn't solve anything. Your problem is not that your voucher expires, it is that you don't have the skills/drive/resources necessary to afford 5 kids....work on the skills/drive/resources and you will solve your problem.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Work Advantage is a 1 year rental subsidy program with an extension for a 2nd year POSSIBLE for those who meet the continuation criteria and APPLY for the extension.That's it. Nothing is automatic after the first year and nothing is offered beyond 2 years.It's not up to anyone to contact you after the first year.If you needed a second year you should have started the process of requalifying before the 1 year ended.

Since you say you have been there for 1.5 years and the landlord is no longer receiving the rent for you it is clear that your enrollment in the program is over.

This is really the way all rent subsidy programs should work.Something should be there for when people have a crisis in their life but nothing should be automatic and nobody should be on a program for more than a few years.

Can't say I really feel any sympathy for you or your landlord.The limitations and rules of the program were explained to you and the landlord at the beginning and the landlord also received a "bonus" of $1,000 or more for participating in the program.

You should move to a place you can afford with whatever your income is,maybe outside of NYC since rents are so expensive here.The landlord should learn that there are risks to participating in these programs.I hope he didn't spend the bonus he got for participating in the program because he is going to need that money to evict you,to say nothing of the lost rent that he will never recover.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-28-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-28-2011, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,868 times
don't listen to these idiots. i'm sure they have done everything perfectly in life and never needed help from anyone. anyhow, try coalition for the homeless, they will assign you a caseworker who might be able to help. you can look them up online and find the main number so they can connect you with the center in your area. also, continue to pay your portion of the rent and document it so that when you go for help, you have a good track record. also try public assistance they may be able to help for a short while. homebase, run by camba, is also a good organization. good luck and don't worry. god will make a way for you and your babies.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:20 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Yes we are idiots for telling her that she should have known this is a TEMPORARY rent subsidy, and it was contingent on her getting on her feet. She should have used the time to get fulltime employment, or otherwise income to pay for the looming full rent payment...she had 1.5 years to prepare.

The answer is not to simply float from one welfare program to another..how does that solve her problem? The answer is to move somewhere she can afford, go to school to gain the skills necessary to support herself, and/or have her kids go to school part time and work full time to help pitch in. THOSE are solutions..what you are offering is a never ending supply of welfare programs which keep her and her kids permanently poor, and chained to handouts.

Spend less time waiting for "god" to take care of you and your babies, and do it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City