Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
I will plus I will have a cops # on speeddial if I see a fool smoking in the park yes call me a snitch but the LAW SAYS I DONT HAVE TO SMELL THAT CRAP IN THE PARK HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!
See, here's the problem: we have a city with eight million residents, and when you add in people who come here to work and tourists, on any given day there may be ten or eleven million people within our borders.

There are only 32,000 cops on street duty. Would you really waste a resource like that on someone smoking in the park? The Mayor was probably smoking something illegal to propose this ban in the first place, and I don't see too many reasons why we should help him make a ridiculous law work. And I say that as a dedicated non-smoker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 01:30 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
If ya can't follow the non smoking rules LEAVE NYC!!!!!!! NYC WANT SMOKERS TO LEAVE THERE IS A REASON WHY TAXES ARE HIGH!!!! Bloomberg is really trying to say "GET OUT!!!!!" But as a politition he has to use indirect means
I sure hope, in the last week, anti-smoking NYer's gave Japanese tourists a break.

There they are, in NYC on vacation, when that quake hits Japan. They look at the media coverage of the tsunami, the nuclear reactor explosions, and?

How many ran to the nearest store, bought a pack of cigarettes, and smoked one right after another in the nearest park?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:10 AM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I have nothing to do with New York but this is going on in Texas. I once hated smoking but I'm a smoker now. Smoking bans cater to peoples personal wants, which is bull. I do understand the hatred of it but the downright ignorance of it it is foolish. I don't want to breathe in exhaust fumes, are cars still on the road? I was under the obviously silly impression that public places were places acceptable of all legal behavior, guess not.
Smoking is not required for a city's economic system. Vehicles on the other hand are required to move products.

You can also control your smoking with the simple thought process of "maybe this person shouldn't be subject to my own personal vices".

People who smoke should be forced to wear a glass bubble around their heads for the entire period of their fix. Maybe then people will think twice before doing so. Especially those "smokers" who inhale and exhale the entire pull just to do it for the image.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I sure hope, in the last week, anti-smoking NYer's gave Japanese tourists a break.

There they are, in NYC on vacation, when that quake hits Japan. They look at the media coverage of the tsunami, the nuclear reactor explosions, and?

How many ran to the nearest store, bought a pack of cigarettes, and smoked one right after another in the nearest park?
Mark my words: you've just laid out the excuse that people will use when evading an official ban on smoking in public places. It'll probably be known by initials--something like SSD (Smoking Stress Disorder). "I couldn't help myself; I was under a lot of stress and I just had to have a cigarette!"

Wait and see. This will show up in a courtroom one day soon.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,802 times
One more news for anyone who smokes.

Smoking Bans Hitting Home - WSJ.com

Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 AM

The inevitable question is, will smokers be considered the next minority experiencing discrimination?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:30 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
One more news for anyone who smokes.

Smoking Bans Hitting Home - WSJ.com

and to think as a child until my adulthood both my parents smoked as did all their friends, in the house, car, everywhere, all day long.
I remember they smoked in the supermarket, smoked in the subway, I also believe they smoked in department stores, (but can't swear to that).....although a "Columbo" episode a lady was smoking in a dept store---talk about fire hazzard.

Co-workers smoked all day long in the office............ugh. That was a freaking nightmare, I dont know how I ever survived that....

Then finally in I believe 1986, office policies started to change. yay !

I wish these laws took place back in the 70's...........

It is nice now though that people do go outside to smoke as they are conditioned to do so, it took many years but at least they do.

A horrible flashback, think 1972, 2 children, me and my sister going to Grandmas house in Brooklyn from Staten Island, mom and dad smoking in the car, in the dead of the winter with the windows only open a crack.
Today that would be child abuse, AND IT SHOULD !!!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 03:58 AM

37 posts, read 104,723 times
I personally would rather have someone smoking in a designated "smoking" section of a restaurant than be walking across a side street cramped with scaffolding, when all of the sudden the person in front of me starts smoking and blowing out huge puffs that get in my face.

I wish I could carry a big bucket of spider webs or something and carelessly throw them behind me when I pass these obnoxious people.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdude04 View Post
I wish I could carry a big bucket of spider webs or something and carelessly throw them behind me when I pass these obnoxious people.
Smokers will read that and immediately become highly offended by your use of the word 'obnoxious.' But they are obnoxious (literally, in this case!)--because their habit takes precedence over everything else, including consideration for other people. And when you get right down to it, that's what smoking is: a habit. Nobody was born smoking.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 AM

37 posts, read 104,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Smokers will read that and immediately become highly offended by your use of the word 'obnoxious.' But they are obnoxious (literally, in this case!)--because their habit takes precedence over everything else, including consideration for other people. And when you get right down to it, that's what smoking is: a habit. Nobody was born smoking.
When my friends or coworkers go out for a smoke break or talk about smoking, I have nothing against them. I don't think people are morally reprehensible just because they smoke. But when I'm doing nothing but trying to walk across town and someone is ruining my day by smoking on a busy sidewalk with no way to get in front of him/her, that is just rude. If you absolutely have to smoke on your way to work, or you just got off a train and desperately need a smoke, stop at a corner and do it. Seriously, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City