Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:13 PM

29 posts, read 100,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Lots of nice neighborhoods in Manhattan but Murray Hill isn't one of them.It's not even really much of a neighborhood.If you live there you will probably not want to hang out in your own neighborhood at night and on weekends.You will always want to be somewhere else and use your apartment as a crash pad.
Murray Hill is also the #1 neighborhood for recently divorced or waiting to be divorced UES men.They go there to rekindle their pre marital years with the frat boys and the young women who are attracted to frat boys and divorced or nearly divorced UES type guys.
Murray Hill certainly sounds like a polarizing neighborhood! This thread has taught me that much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleOce View Post
Chelsea sounds pretty awesome. And, like I said, I'm fine with gays but hearing it's only 10% just sets my mind at ease and I'll put it on my list. I know I've seen some really nice apts in that area online.
I live in Chelsea and I have to say the "gayest" area is from 23rd to about 14th on 8th Ave. This is the area I live in and I love it. This is the area with the highest concentration of gay bars, stores ect. No one will think you are gay just because you live in this area though. The rest of cheslea is just like any other neighborhood.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleOce View Post
Thanks for explaining that. UWS has always been on my list. Everyone I know that's actually visited NYC has always said the UWS was "cool."

Chelsea sounds pretty awesome. And, like I said, I'm fine with gays but hearing it's only 10% just sets my mind at ease and I'll put it on my list. I know I've seen some really nice apts in that area online.

You mentioned something that I had forgotten about - intramurals. I miss that tremendously. One of the reasons I'm moving to NYC is so I can be more involved with my community (i travel a lot now), and one way I plan on doing that is playing some sports again (finally). You mentioned Chelsea Piers as being a good area for that, but I assume UWS would be good too?

Yes, I will have upwards of 2 weeks to apartment shop if I need it. But NYC is just SO immense, I was hoping to go ahead and figure out a plan before I get up there. I'm expecting to hear from my relocation associate soon and I was going to try to at least give them a couple of neighborhoods instead of "manhattan." I'm also completely open to Brooklyn/Queens if there's a convenient metro to midtown and it otherwise fits my needs. Just an FYI.

TurtleCreek - as in Oak Lawn in Dallas? Is that where you're from?

Yup- did a 5-year stint in NYC and now back in Dallas, living in a high rise on Turtle Creek near the West Village. I'm back in NYC every moth or so for work.

There are intramurals in Central Park as well. Just google "NYC professional intramurals in Central Park" or something along those lines and you'll find tons of soccer, baseball, football, kickball, etc leagues for 20- and 30-something professionals. Some are co-ed, others aren't. You have no idea how many girls i know who met their husbands playing intramural flag football and running in groups like NYC Road Runners.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 PM

244 posts, read 629,398 times
Look into Astoria, Queens or Williamsburg, or maybe Soho/Tribeca, they are really nice areas and I'm sure you'll find something convenient

Old 02-26-2011, 04:53 AM

29 posts, read 100,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yup- did a 5-year stint in NYC and now back in Dallas, living in a high rise on Turtle Creek near the West Village. I'm back in NYC every moth or so for work.

There are intramurals in Central Park as well. Just google "NYC professional intramurals in Central Park" or something along those lines and you'll find tons of soccer, baseball, football, kickball, etc leagues for 20- and 30-something professionals. Some are co-ed, others aren't. You have no idea how many girls i know who met their husbands playing intramural flag football and running in groups like NYC Road Runners.
Very cool. I grew up in East Texas. Live in Longview now.

Intramurals is something I'm really looking forward to. I haven't even been able to join a softball league here because I travel so much.

Just wanted to say thanks, again, to all of you who chimed in with some advice. I'm really liking what I see in Chelsea.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,475 times
Your budget affords you plenty of flexibility. To the poster (jcoltrane) who mentioned a 1-bedroom below 110th Street costing $3,000 per month... They don't know what they're talking about. I have a great, big 1-bedroom in the West Village for a little over $2k per month.

Chelsea would suit your needs, as would the West Village. I'm in the WV and commute to the Times Square area every day as well. I hop on a local 1 train and switch to an express (2/3) train at 14th Street if there's one. It takes me seven minutes to get up there from the Christopher Street stop.

My building is nice mixture of young professionals—a few couples and single guys and girls (both gay and straight). I think you'll find Chelsea's demographic makeup to be similar. The neighborhood itself is pretty quiet, except for people who come in from the outer boroughs/Jersey on weekends to party.

You could also consider Gramercy Park, near Madison Square Park (close the the N/R trains, which also stop at Times Square). Soho, near the Prince Street N/R stop, could be considered too.

(P.S. I'm another Texan transplant too. Like TurtleCreek80, I lived in a high-rise on Turtle Creek Boulevard before moving up here.)

(P.P.S. Just saw in your original post that you like indie films... One plus for the West Village: just a few blocks from both IFC and Film Forum. You'll be in indie film heaven.)

Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 PM

13 posts, read 23,031 times
I am living in Hells Kitchen right now, working in Midtown, and walking to work. I love my choice. I have a large 1BR / small 2BR with quasi-roof access for $2,200/month. TONS of restaurants and bars, and very good energy in this hood. A little loud and noisy, but no issues for me. I recommend looking west of 9th Avenue, because the tourist zone seems to end on 8th. Anywhere between 9th and 10th Avenue, and between 40th and 50th for the most part would fit this description.

I would avoid Murray Hill at all costs.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:38 AM

769 posts, read 2,051,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Your budget affords you plenty of flexibility. To the poster (jcoltrane) who mentioned a 1-bedroom below 110th Street costing $3,000 per month... They don't know what they're talking about. I have a great, big 1-bedroom in the West Village for a little over $2k per month.

Chelsea would suit your needs, as would the West Village. I'm in the WV and commute to the Times Square area every day as well. I hop on a local 1 train and switch to an express (2/3) train at 14th Street if there's one. It takes me seven minutes to get up there from the Christopher Street stop.

My building is nice mixture of young professionals—a few couples and single guys and girls (both gay and straight). I think you'll find Chelsea's demographic makeup to be similar. The neighborhood itself is pretty quiet, except for people who come in from the outer boroughs/Jersey on weekends to party.

You could also consider Gramercy Park, near Madison Square Park (close the the N/R trains, which also stop at Times Square). Soho, near the Prince Street N/R stop, could be considered too.

(P.S. I'm another Texan transplant too. Like TurtleCreek80, I lived in a high-rise on Turtle Creek Boulevard before moving up here.)

(P.P.S. Just saw in your original post that you like indie films... One plus for the West Village: just a few blocks from both IFC and Film Forum. You'll be in indie film heaven.)
Your large 1 bedroom for slightly over $2k a month doesn't sound like market rent in West Village, sounds a little lower, based on the apartments we saw in November. But I guess it depends on what a large 1 bedroom is to you. To me a large 1 bedroom has at least 700 square feet, and the minimum square footage for me to really consider any apartment a 1 bedroom is 600 square feet.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Wherever the OP moves, he sounds like a welcome addition to the NYC dating pool. lol

Old 03-04-2011, 07:37 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
Your large 1 bedroom for slightly over $2k a month doesn't sound like market rent in West Village, sounds a little lower, based on the apartments we saw in November. But I guess it depends on what a large 1 bedroom is to you. To me a large 1 bedroom has at least 700 square feet, and the minimum square footage for me to really consider any apartment a 1 bedroom is 600 square feet.
It's about 500 sq. ft., which for West Village, is a large 1 bedroom for a pre-war building. We didn't want a newer building, and the bedroom can fit a queen sized bed and furniture, which is plenty big enough.

I wouldn't trade space/building amenities for neighborhood quality, just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City