Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times

Advertisements

Within the next week or so we should find out if we'll be heading to NYC or not, and we'd like to have a better sense of real rental prices before we accept the job transfer or not. We're open to Queens or Brooklyn, but would first like to at least give Manhattan a shot. Husband's work would be near 21st and Park. Wish list includes:
* 2 bedrooms (ideally one big enough to fit our queen bed, even if just barely!)
* living room or some communal living space

I don't care about kitchen, as long as there is one, even if very, very small. I don't mind walking up many floors. We don't need laundry in building (although that would be nice). We do have one child, but schools are not currently an issue.

I've been primed to expect the absolute worst for rent, but some of the listings seem... well, pretty reasonable. I've seen some of the other threads for higher price points, but is it possible for us to find a 2-BR with a living room (however small) for under $2,500 somewhere in the 90s or below, and ideally within walking distance of his work? East Village, maybe? There were even some Murray Hill listings that looked legit. Am I missing something? Is this possible?

And out of curiosity, in case we can massively up our budget, what's the minimum price range where one can hope to find a tiny balcony?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,407,048 times
I think you're in the right range for an apartment, though I would be a bit flexible as to neighborhood. Murray Hill might not be the best fit for a family, though, since it's a post-college type area. More families will be found on the UES and other parts of Midtown East, but the walk to work desire would not be as feasible if you're too far uptown.

You might also consider areas of Manhattan, Chelsea and below, on the Westside as they are still pretty convenient to the office location, around 1.5 miles or so. You may need to look at a number of apartments to find a good one, but I think your wish list is reasonable, and you're not seeking a luxury building.

I would think around $3k or so, you would start finding more places with outdoor space that would also meet the other requirements you have for an apartment.

Good luck with the search.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 PM

49 posts, read 107,693 times
Outdoor space i.e balcony's are overrated. We have one and it never gets used. If you pay more for one think hard about it first. Most people use theirs very infrequently or never. As well, most buildings won't let you barbeque or have lots of rules on what you can and can't do on it.

I think you are in the right range for a mini two bedroom or a good size one bedroom- 2300 to 2500/month. Lots of people with kids live in one bedrooms and partition the space or give the kids the bedroom and move their bed into the livingroom. Just food for thought.

Best of luck!

Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,840 times
Ditto what others have said... You should be able to find a respectable 2-bedroom for $2,500. Outdoor space becomes a possibility at $3k and up.

I looked at a 2-bedroom at E. 6th Street and Ave. A for a friend last summer and it was $1,995. Good size, fourth floor walk-up, real living room and kitchen, totally remodeled. It was a steal of a deal, but you should definitely be able to find something comparable for not too much more.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Thanks for the comments and advice -- I know all the horror stories about rent, read all the warnings, and wasn't sure what was realistic and what wasn't. We'll find out very soon if we'll be NYC-bound, but I am now feeling far more confident that we will be able to afford it. I'll keep researching different neighborhoods, too, since it sounds like we might have a few more options than I thought. I used to spend a lot of time in NYC as a visitor, but don't know the city at all as a resident, and not as a parent.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:30 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
I would say at least $2500 unless you can find some slamming deal. Maybe closer to $3k if you're going to get pickier about location and amenities. That's Manhattan. In BK or Queens you can get more for less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: