Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,574 times

Advertisements

Website for Woodlawn Community with links to community resources, events, newspaper articles about Woodlawn.

WoodlawnNYC.com

Great place to live and visit.

Last edited by tiz2369; 08-10-2007 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 05:30 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Yeah I've seen flyers taped to every other phone pole in the neighborhood with this webpage on it, but there honestly isn't that much on your webpage. There are barely even any posts on the bulletin board.

What gives?

Old 08-10-2007, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 7,574 times
The website isn't mine. It's run by a friend of mine. And yeah, she's been posting all over the neighborhood trying to get more people aware of the website and to start posting in the forum. She only put up the forum this week and she needs people to start posting. She had alot of posts in her bulletin board (aka guest book) before she developed the forum. Maybe you could check it out and post? The website itself is fairly new. I think she's had it up about a month or so. I think she's off to a good start. What do you think?

Thanks man

Old 11-28-2007, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,683 times
Smile YEP those were the days but ...not as segragated as your eyes see it.

Not as Happy go lucky as that was alot of crime and gangs and coruption .
All in All it was ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
The famous Fordham Road, there was Alexanders of course and everyone went to Alexanders.....there was Cousins Records where all the teens would buy there 45's, there was Woolworths across from the RKO Fordham.....
there was Gorman's Hot Dogs, where you could get a hot dog and orange soda for $.50 cents. There was National Shoe store, there had to be at least 6 shoe stores on Fordham, there was the Valentine Theater where I saw West Side Story three times.......of course the recruiting stations were right there on the overpass of the concourse......not far just down the block was the famous Krums, hmmm great ice cream and cases full of nuts/candy
there was a restaurant in the back and a lower counter where you could get a soda/ice cream and the boys that worked there would talk wtih the gals
Krums burned down in 62 or 63, but was rebuilt and later they moved.
You could walk at 10PM at night, no one would bother you. Poe Park had
weekly music/dances and people young and old would sit on the benches
and talk. There was the famous Paradise Movie theater, with there twinkling
stars on the ceiling, a fish pond in the lobby, spiral staircase and ushers
to see you to your seat, I dated a few of them myself, I think movies back then were .75 cents....there was fresh popcorn, candy and it was the place to be seen on Sat/Sunday. Of course, The Paradise has been renovated but not to its glory days, but close, and I understand mostly Hispanic events
are there now.

As a teen back then I would walk from the Concourse over to Arthur Ave
near Mt. Carmel church, hang out with the Italian boys, sit in front of Rooservelt HS with a few girlfriends and wave at the cars going by.
We never never had any trouble from anyone. I could stay out till 11:00PM
and walk anywhere and not be afraid. You didn't need to watch your back
or be afraid. Most of all nearly every area North of 179th St was totally
WHITE......where I lived 183rd St. there was one black family and they
were the supers in a apt. building, and they would actually walk in the gutter
when passing a white person. He was the only black, amazing when you think about it. I went to an all white school, both grammar/HS not a black
in there, today that same school is 100% Hispanic.

Of course, times have changed.....time marches on, I can't believe the difference in my beloved Bronx, so many places are long gone that I remember
Fordham Hospital, gone........Sears Roebuck on Fordham/Webster closed.
There was a Howard Johnsons across from the main entrance to The Bronx Zoo.......long gone............Alexanders long gone, Sutter's Bakery long gone.
All the stores of Fordham Rd. long gone. Robert Hall up the Concourse near the Dollar Savings bank long gone. Yes, the Bronx is totally different, the people not the same.......back in the 60's neighbor helped neighbor, there were no guns.......the gangs stayed in the South Bronx, which back then was Fort Apache......Fox St/Simpson St/Kelly St. that was the South Bronx.
Anything above 175th St. was the North Bronx......there were no car breakins
no robberies, no stabbings if there was, no one talked about it. The police back then mostly rode around in their cars and everyone knew that they were there and better not try anything.

The Bronx was the best place to grow up, I think it shaped who I am and what I am.........you can take the girl out of the Bronx, but you can't take the Bronx out of the girl.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Are you a white mexican like luis miguel, or felipe calderon because you would not stand out that much.

If you are more of the mestizo type, then of course you will stand out just like you would anywhere. it is not just woodlawn that you would have problems with. Every mixed couple stand out.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:53 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
BronxBoy...I have dealt with Soongbird before and she seems to think the 50s and 60s in the Bronx, when people of color knew their place, was when it was beautiful. She brags about how Black people would get their a** kicked for gettin off at the wrong train stop..and how people of color have ruined/stole HER home and turned everything to crap (everything in the Bronx is hers after all right?)

I don't subscribe to the BS romanticized version of the Bronx in the 50s and 60s...what she sees as the beauty and paradise, I see as a rampant, violent, and systematic dismantiling of an entire race of people, segregation, and hate...of which she, her friends, and family actively participated in to keep their communities "safe" (aka colored-people free...except of course for the one blakc family that was the super and walked in the gutter to let white people go by...yes....that was a wonderful time ay?)

No thanks Songbird...I am not buying into your fantasy.

As for the topic at hand..I think any mixed raced couple in Woodlawn will be just fine..they will not be harassed, attacked, or be run over. I think it's silly that such an assertion would be hurled towards that community. That is not to say the drunks will not have their fun....but drunks are the same everywhere you go...as are kids...so ANYWHERE you go in the city..the drunks and the dumb kids will be bothering you..Woodlawn being no exception.

You will find, in fact, that Woodlawn is a nice and pleasant community and you will be welcomed. Will people take a second look..of course...but no more than any other community. In fact..I bet the communities of color will treat you far worse..as their ignorance knows no bounds. Take a look at Woodlawn yourself BEFORE believeing the BS on this site.....you will be surprised at how nice it is and how comfortable you feel.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:13 AM

5 posts, read 20,031 times
As for the topic at hand..I think any mixed raced couple in Woodlawn will be just fine..they will not be harassed, attacked, or be run over. I think it's silly that such an assertion would be hurled towards that community. That is not to say the drunks will not have their fun....but drunks are the same everywhere you go...as are kids...so ANYWHERE you go in the city..the drunks and the dumb kids will be bothering you..Woodlawn being no exception.

You will find, in fact, that Woodlawn is a nice and pleasant community and you will be welcomed. Will people take a second look..of course...but no more than any other community. In fact..I bet the communities of color will treat you far worse..as their ignorance knows no bounds. Take a look at Woodlawn yourself BEFORE believeing the BS on this site.....you will be surprised at how nice it is and how comfortable you feel.

JUST CURIOUS GUYWITHACAUSE ARE YOU FROM WOODLAWN?

Old 11-30-2007, 07:17 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
I am from the Bronx...as are my parents, and granparents, so although I have not spent every waking moment of my life trolling the streets, bars, restaurants, trainstations and schools of Woodlawn, I have spent a fair amount of time with friends drinking the night away at various homes and local establishments..of which the group was primarily Irish to the core..but nonetheless there were other colors in and around us....and everyone always had fun and NEVER felt unsafe. And I stand by my belief that this mixed race couple will not face any more harassment or rudeness than anyother community...in fact...the communities of color will probably treat them far worse.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,528 times
Default I can't believe my eyes

I was looking for a phone number in Woodlawn and I stumbled across this website. I registered just so that I could respond to what I read here. I am a Mexican- American married to an Irish-American, living in Woodlawn for the last 15 years. We chose to live in Woodlawn because at the time we had just had our 3rd child and could not afford Westchester and we wanted to be close to Manhattan where we both work. We bought a huge house with low taxes situated 45 minutes away from the city by express bus. Our children thrived in Woodlawn schools, all 3 received scholarships to top high schools in Manhattan. Our oldest child is now attending college on a full scholarship. Our neighbors are lovely people who have been nothing but nice to us, even though my children and I look hispanic. With the exception of one incident many years ago, where I was completly ignored in the butcher store on Katonah (which I never set foot in again) I have never felt discriminated against in Woodlawn. You do a disservice to the community when you refer to people as Donkeys and paint them all with the same brush. As for people getting drunk and walking around at night, they tend to be young,and they stay mainly on McLean and Katonah and I don't think they are from Woodlawn, as they usually get into cabs. It's a safe, conveniently located, community.While it doesn't have much to offer by way of great restaurants and shops, anyone with a car can go elsewhere. I can't say that I regret living here and though we can well afford to leave now, we wouldn't consider it. I don't delude myself into believing that everyone here loves everyone else, but luckily for us, the ignorant are also cowardly,and thus chose to express themselves on forums such as these. I just want to set the record straight.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,673 times
Default hI SHOCKANDAMAZED

I read your post and it sounded good however YOU DIDN'T ANSWER ONE QUESTION:

Are you a Mexican American man married to and Irish Woman or are you a Mexican Woman married to an Irish man?

Just Wondering.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City