Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:24 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,717 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting NYC/Brooklyn area for vacation in July. Our hotel is in Brooklyn is on Duffield St. Can anyone tell me areas to avoid, ideas on must see sites that aren't quite so touristy, restaurants to try.

Also I have read that we can catch the subway near Duffield St?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 01:59 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I will be visiting NYC/Brooklyn area for vacation in July. Our hotel is in Brooklyn is on Duffield St. Can anyone tell me areas to avoid, ideas on must see sites that aren't quite so touristy, restaurants to try.

Also I have read that we can catch the subway near Duffield St?

Thank you
I suggest you check the MTA trip planner site for subway directions:
MTA NYC Transit - Trip Planner

If you are looking for things to do in Brooklyn, I suggest the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, the Brooklyn Museum, the NY Aquarium and Coney Island.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:34 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I suggest that you:
1. Buy a few guidebooks
2. Ask your hotel specifically about the nearest subway stop
3. Look at the Chowhound site for restaurant ideas

Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM

I have done all those things. I was hoping for information from locals vs guide books. I was also wondering about areas I should avoid.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:40 AM

177 posts, read 416,411 times
Walking acroos the Brooklyn Bridge is always nice. You could also see about taking a tour through Greenwood Cemetary. The Brooklyn Academy of Music, BAM, may be having something you'd be interested in seeing while you're here.
The main thing I'd suggest to you, from Arkansas, is to go to the beach! okay, so Coney Island's not Hawaii, but! it's still the ocean! waves, sand, sea, radios, just reading a magazine on a towel with an umbrella and a soda, and just take in your visit. I hope you have a good time!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
Walking acroos the Brooklyn Bridge is always nice. You could also see about taking a tour through Greenwood Cemetary. The Brooklyn Academy of Music, BAM, may be having something you'd be interested in seeing while you're here.
The main thing I'd suggest to you, from Arkansas, is to go to the beach! okay, so Coney Island's not Hawaii, but! it's still the ocean! waves, sand, sea, radios, just reading a magazine on a towel with an umbrella and a soda, and just take in your visit. I hope you have a good time!

Thank you for the suggestions.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
You can catch the subway at Hoyt Street or Jay Street, depending upon which line you need, and where you're headed that day. Both stations are close to the hotel (I'm assuming the Sheraton), within a few minutes.

If you want to eat at some places that are local to Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, DUMBO, etc. have some great restaurants, some of which people travel to visit from other areas of the city and metro area. Lucali on Henry Street in Carroll Gardens, for example, is one such restaurant. If you want a quick pizza, Grimaldi's near the Brooklyn Bridge (Old Fulton Street) would be a good bet. For a sweet treat, Jacques Torres is on Water Street in Brooklyn, too (not far from Grimaldi's).

Do you have a favorite type of cuisine? NYC is so diverse that there are excellent restaurants of all types, often at many price points, so it can help to narrow by cuisine and type of dinner. If you want a formal restaurant for a special evening out, or a romantic setting, or a particular cuisine, it can be easier to narrow the selections.

Your hotel is in Downtown Brooklyn, which is a decent area. You would really have to seek out bad neighborhoods to find something that you would need to avoid during daylight hours. However, you should be on your city level of vigilence with respect to all areas in NYC, not just reserving street smarts for certain neighborhoods.

Governor's Island opens for the summer season on May 27th, if you will be in town. Check the schedule, though, since it's weekends only, and specific hours. The Trust for Governors Island

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
Walking acroos the Brooklyn Bridge is always nice.
I also suggest that on the Brooklyn side you visit the Brooklyn Heights Promenade for a great view of Lower Manhattan. After that get a bite to eat at one of the restaurants with outdoor seating (if the weather is suitable) on the nearby Montague Street.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You can catch the subway at Hoyt Street or Jay Street, depending upon which line you need, and where you're headed that day. Both stations are close to the hotel (I'm assuming the Sheraton), within a few minutes.

If you want to eat at some places that are local to Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Carroll Gardens, DUMBO, etc. have some great restaurants, some of which people travel to visit from other areas of the city and metro area. Lucali on Henry Street in Carroll Gardens, for example, is one such restaurant. If you want a quick pizza, Grimaldi's near the Brooklyn Bridge (Old Fulton Street) would be a good bet. For a sweet treat, Jacques Torres is on Water Street in Brooklyn, too (not far from Grimaldi's).

Do you have a favorite type of cuisine? NYC is so diverse that there are excellent restaurants of all types, often at many price points, so it can help to narrow by cuisine and type of dinner. If you want a formal restaurant for a special evening out, or a romantic setting, or a particular cuisine, it can be easier to narrow the selections.

Your hotel is in Downtown Brooklyn, which is a decent area. You would really have to seek out bad neighborhoods to find something that you would need to avoid during daylight hours. However, you should be on your city level of vigilence with respect to all areas in NYC, not just reserving street smarts for certain neighborhoods.

Governor's Island opens for the summer season on May 27th, if you will be in town. Check the schedule, though, since it's weekends only, and specific hours. The Trust for Governors Island

Thank you so much for the info. We are trying to stay on some what of a budget, so I am trying to do as much planning prior to getting there as possible. I would love to try some ethnic food (Ethiopian, Ukrainian, Polish, etc) since we don't have a lot of opprotunity to try that at home. How far away is Queens and are there any sites to see there? Is the neighborhood our hotel is in fairly safe? I am into photography so I am hoping to get some awesome pics.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:46 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
The hotel is in a decent area of Downtown Brooklyn, so I would not be too concerned, though as above, I would keep my street smarts in any neighborhood in the city.

For Polish food without a trip to Greenpoint, Brooklyn, where you would be more inclined to find some more Polish cuisine, I would go to Teresa's (especially for breakfast/brunch). Teresa's is on Montague Street in Brooklyn Heights, Montague & Hicks would be the cross streets. Katz's Deli on Houston Street also has some Eastern European specialties, and is a classic NY deli, popular with tourists and locals.

Ukranian food would probably be best found in Brighton Beach, but if you're not headed to anything else nearby, it's a bit of a hike to get out there and back via subway.

For African food, one of the best I can remember is Mombar in Astoria (Queens), on Steinway Street. Meskel Ethiopian in the West Village and Hell's Kitchen.

If you want to try some Turkish food, you may consider Turks & Frogs on Greenwich Street in TriBeCa.

Queens is not too far, but you have to take the train to Manhattan to get to Queens. There are many things to see, from Flushing's Chinatown to the Noguchi Museum in Long Island City. The Queens Museum of Art is in Flushing Meadows, which is where the world fair was held. The museum houses the model of the city, a miniature, detailed representation of the city. Queens also has the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, which has some interesting exhibits and activities, which is well worth the visit, IMO.

You will have plenty of opportunities for pics, too.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City