Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 09:22 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,551,229 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting NYC for 5 days and 4 nights, staying at the Courtyard Marriott on 53rd St. and 3rd Avenue. I'm making a list of my must sees - but wondering if any of you New Yorkers have some favorite places in that part of Midtown. First on my list is the Metropolitan Museum and hubby definetly wants to go out on one of the tour boats - perhaps the Circleline tour. I also would like to spend a few hours in Central Park. We plan to also visit St. Patrick's Cathedral and Grand Central Station. I understand there is a great bar there called "The Appartment".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:24 AM

257 posts, read 824,671 times
You should go to a broadway play/musical!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
'The Apartment' IS beautiful. But also take a walk through the main part of Grand Central Station and LOOK UP!

There are little gems all over: The Frick Museum, which was actually Henry Clay Frick's home (on East 70th St, just off Fifth Avenue); Sniffen Court, on East 36th between 3rd and Lexington, gives an idea of what NYC was like at the beginning of the 20th century; walk around Rockefeller center with its WPA murals and the Channel gardens (called that because they sit in the space between La Maison Francaise and the British Empire Building). And when you walk into St. Patrick's, again, LOOK UP: all the hats of the former Cardinals are hanging WAY, WAY up from the ceiling.

Get on the number 6 Lexington Avenue IRT and head to Canal Street and Chinatown for a GREAT and cheap meal.

And have fun!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:33 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,906 times
NYC has the world to offer. What kinds of things are you into?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:38 PM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
I would check out the 3rd floor of the NY Public Library building of 5th Avenue (between 40-42 St.) where they have several art galleries and the admission is free. There is also usually exhibit (one gallery) on the 1st floor as well.
Also Times Square is a favorite location in Midtown.
If you are looking for a good restaurant, try Vigil's which on 44th Street (off the East side on Times Square). There is always a line there. So ask for a table and then in the wait time you can check out Times Square!

Old 04-25-2009, 04:49 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,551,229 times
Thanks so much for all the tips. I am making notes and for sure will try to see a show. I understand that the last minute discount tickets go on sale at 3 pm, but wondering if they do the discounts for the afternoon show of Sat. and Sunday? We will do a bit of walking around in Grand Central and of course look up. Having visited Union Station in DC, we are looking forward to this one. Thank you also for the great museum tips and will probably check out the restaurant, Vigil's.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:34 PM

841 posts, read 2,476,793 times
The hotel you're staying in should have a concierge service in the lobby that might give you some advice. Personally I think the double-decker tour buses are pretty cool. Also, if you want a good view of Lady Liberty, I suggest taking the Staten Island Ferry because it's free and it goes right by it..of course it won't stop there, but it is a good photo op. There are a lot of things to do in Times Square...especially if you have kids. They have the big Toys R Us store, Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, etc. It is really nice to walk thru Times Square at night since everything is lit up brightly. Well hope this helped...good luck and have fun!!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM

493 posts, read 665,891 times
Not a New Yorker but was there earlier this month visiting family. My brother tends bar at this old German restaurant called Rolf's on 22nd and 3rd Ave. (Maybe stop in and have a beer if you're in the area a need a pit stop)

I recommend spending the $12 bucks apiece to go to liberty island/ellis island. Nice views and photo opps, and it's fun to take a short boat ride.

The Met is worth seeing ($20 admission). You'll probably get bored and your feet will start to hurt after a few hours, but go anyway.

Empire State bldg had a two hour wait when I was there so I bagged that idea, but I wish I'd checked out Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center) for the view. Not free but cant recall how much it was.

Grand Central Station, Times Square (go at dusk!), NYSE/Wall St., Central Park, Ground Zero, China Town, Little Italy...all free and worth seeing.

If you're going be getting around on the subway most of the time, just get an MTA week pass for $25 so you wont have to worry about it again while there. Also have Google maps ready on your phone and practice using it if you don't normally. Big city...easy to get lost.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:45 PM

757 posts, read 3,364,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I understand that the last minute discount tickets go on sale at 3 pm, but wondering if they do the discounts for the afternoon show of Sat. and Sunday?
Yes. Tickets for matinees (Wednesdays as well as Sat & Sun) go on sale at noon. Sometimes you can even buy tickets (for a smaller discount) a few days to a week in advance.

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City