Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 02:23 PM

917 posts, read 2,005,790 times

Advertisements

Op I know how you feel and it's frustrating. It's ridiculous for these companies to pay extremely low salaries in a city with a high COL. Personally I settled with my current job and I'm not going to settle again. I wont take another job paying less than 50K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 03:16 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
Op I know how you feel and it's frustrating. It's ridiculous for these companies to pay extremely low salaries in a city with a high COL. Personally I settled with my current job and I'm not going to settle again. I wont take another job paying less than 50K.
Do you mind asking me what you do? You can PM me. I'm just applying for office support positions in Manhattan and I won't settle for less than 50k. My recruiters told me this is definitely doable. I don't see why you would get less. I suggest you put your resume online or apply to a few places. Right now things are starting to get busy and I'm positive you could land a good handful of interviews.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:16 PM

PS. Anyone who wants their resume cleaned up and reformatted, feel free to send it to me. I can shoot it back to you and give you tips..or just clean it up at least and tell you what kind of pay you should be asking for. Again, I worked in an agency and know ALL the dirty tricks. Would you imagine that when they send you out for a temp-to-perm at $20/hr, they are actually charging the company somewhere between $38-40something/hr? Temp-to-perm is a nice BS way to get recruiter's pockets fat and a company a temp worker who is desperate and hoping to become permanent.

I realize that hiring people is expensive, but think about all the money these companies save if they hire directly. Do the math people. We're being played. Time to lay down the law. I'm SICK of this sh*t. It's been 3 years of this. I rather be stubborn and hold off.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 PM

217 posts, read 554,319 times
Pinky, you are speaking the truth. My wife was unfortunately let go earlier this year and she's literally going on 20+ agencies and still nothing or absurd offers. Friday she was offered a job in the high 30's (after the agency said it was 50+k) and they expected her to be proficient in literally a dozen programs and support a staff of about 25 people (she's more than qualified, but that's not the point). That's crazy! She graduated from a top school and has a resume that most would love to have. I myself have started job searching and have a good work history and an ok degree (no rocket science degree..lol) and have seen positions similar to mine paying almost half of what I make now. I'm looking to leave just because I feel its time and I'm at an ok place, but the money is decent. I didn't think the payscale has gone so south. I've been with my company for 6 years and what I make now was the norm in my field a few years ago. Its unrealistic for them to want you to be skilled to the teeth and pay you as low as they seem to be. We are both from here and haven't ever seen it this hard for jobs that make decent money. 50k+ in this city (newsflash...it ain't cheap here) isn't considered great money, but right now it looks like that's what it is. Good luck to everyone looking, rant over.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:47 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
Pinky, you are speaking the truth. My wife was unfortunately let go earlier this year and she's literally going on 20+ agencies and still nothing or absurd offers. Friday she was offered a job in the high 30's (after the agency said it was 50+k) and they expected her to be proficient in literally a dozen programs and support a staff of about 25 people (she's more than qualified, but that's not the point). That's crazy! She graduated from a top school and has a resume that most would love to have. I myself have started job searching and have a good work history and an ok degree (no rocket science degree..lol) and have seen positions similar to mine paying almost half of what I make now. I'm looking to leave just because I feel its time and I'm at an ok place, but the money is decent. I didn't think the payscale has gone so south. I've been with my company for 6 years and what I make now was the norm in my field a few years ago. Its unrealistic for them to want you to be skilled to the teeth and pay you as low as they seem to be. We are both from here and haven't ever seen it this hard for jobs that make decent money. 50k+ in this city (newsflash...it ain't cheap here) isn't considered great money, but right now it looks like that's what it is. Good luck to everyone looking, rant over.
That makes me so mad! I see these type of job offers all the time, they want you to be a college grad or, as you said, be proficient if every single program, yet they want to pay you nothing in exchange for a high stress job! They can shove it!

Seriously, I know someone who is a manger at Home Depot and she drives to work in 10 minutes, loves her job, and makes SIX FIGURES!

These office jobs are for the birds.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 AM

24 posts, read 73,291 times
stop being such a freaking cry babies!!!!!Are you blind????? The economy is jacked up sensai!!!!!Get a freaking doorman job we make close to 65,000 with benefits included oh yeah!!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycdoorman View Post
stop being such a freaking cry babies!!!!!Are you blind????? The economy is jacked up sensai!!!!!Get a freaking doorman job we make close to 65,000 with benefits included oh yeah!!!!
Does that include a chair to sit on

Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
LOL they do NOT make that much. More like $12-18/hr.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:15 PM

9 posts, read 45,807 times
PinkyBumpkin, I can definitely use your assistance as far as reviewing my resume. I hope my request is not too late, thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
PS. Anyone who wants their resume cleaned up and reformatted, feel free to send it to me. I can shoot it back to you and give you tips..or just clean it up at least and tell you what kind of pay you should be asking for. Again, I worked in an agency and know ALL the dirty tricks. Would you imagine that when they send you out for a temp-to-perm at $20/hr, they are actually charging the company somewhere between $38-40something/hr? Temp-to-perm is a nice BS way to get recruiter's pockets fat and a company a temp worker who is desperate and hoping to become permanent.

I realize that hiring people is expensive, but think about all the money these companies save if they hire directly. Do the math people. We're being played. Time to lay down the law. I'm SICK of this sh*t. It's been 3 years of this. I rather be stubborn and hold off.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:29 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,395 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
LOL they do NOT make that much. More like $12-18/hr.
pinky's right. my dad is still in the doorman union (i think he joined in 1995?) and he showed me his paystub. doorman, are you saying the total package worth is worth 65,000? my dad loves loves loves his health coverage and says it saved his life. however what he gets around christmas is always spectacular. he works on a rich rich ues street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City