Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 09:39 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,549,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
You're absolutely right. I try not to buy "made in china" items, even though it's hard to avoid sometimes. I noticed a lot more companies are trying to manufacture here in the USA.
Me too, I am with you. Whenever I buy something I pay attention to labels....but as you said when almost every item that we need is made in China, India, Mexico etc. what can we do?

There are a lot of sides to this problem in America:

Consumer spending habits...example: there are more foreign cars on the streets than American cars.
Company hiring decisions....example: hiring immigrants instead of Americans because they will work for slave wages.

Now after so many years of these practices we want to know why we are suffering with low wage jobs, high unemployment and a stagnant economy.....because we run by the droves into places like Walmart making them rich while they don't care that most of the products on their shelves were made in a foreign country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Unions in the private sector seem to be so rare. I think more private sector unions would be great in general. I think the reason some people have become hostile to public sector unions is that their own personal situation in terms of pay and benefits is so bad, that they feel is is unfair to have to subsidize the health care, pension and other benefits of those working in the public sector. Politicians try to steer people's anger towards public sector unions to deflect attention from what is the real outrage - tremendous corporate profits that don't trickle down to the workers.
Well I'll probably get slammed for saying this but I am "for" subsidizing health care for public union employees that work outdoors full-time. I feel their bodies have it harder compared to people like me (who don't work outdoors) (I'm a nice guy -what can I say?). But subsidized pensions-- Uh, I have mixed feelings on that.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
If the national median starting salary for those with 4 yr college degrees is 27,000/yr, I wouldn't expect the starting salaries in NYC to be more than 10 to 20 percent more than that....or around $33,000. So a 35,000 or 40,000 offer these days is actually pretty good( relatively speaking).
I think this post hits the nail right on the head. But it ultimately boils down to too many people and shchmoes. That's why I keep saying we need fewer people, not more - but critics shoot back at me saying we'll end up like Japan with a shortage of 'young people'

Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
I think this post hits the nail right on the head. But it ultimately boils down to too many people and shchmoes. That's why I keep saying we need fewer people, not more - but critics shoot back at me saying we'll end up like Japan with a shortage of 'young people'
We don't have too many people. What we have now is a major systemic problem that's been in the works for literally decades now, where US companies see far too many incentives (and far too few penalties) to ship jobs to foreign countries, which has been carving up the middle class in this country like a roast.

I giggle every time I hear some disingenuous political boob blathering about "Mr President! Where are the jobs!" or some nonsense to that effect. We know exactly where the jobs are: China, India, SE Asia, Mexico, and anywhere else some CEO in Midtown can think of in order to fatten his bonus by cutting labor and production costs.

So we can all stop playing dumb about where the jobs are and how they got there, or about how we expect the President to snap his fingers and make our owies all better. He couldn't fix this even if he really cared to, and all evidence indicates he doesn't. So, welcome to the sh1tty new America. We've earned it.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:12 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Well I'll probably get slammed for saying this but I am "for" subsidizing health care for public union employees that work outdoors full-time. I feel their bodies have it harder compared to people like me (who don't work outdoors) (I'm a nice guy -what can I say?). But subsidized pensions-- Uh, I have mixed feelings on that.
I personally think that everyone should be able to afford health care. It should be a right, not a privelege.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I personally think that everyone should be able to afford health care. It should be a right, not a privelege.
does "everyone" also include people who don't work i think subsidies should go to the deserving. included in that are folks who do essential-but-undesirable jobs.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:40 AM

175 posts, read 487,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
We don't have too many people. What we have now is a major systemic problem that's been in the works for literally decades now, where US companies see far too many incentives (and far too few penalties) to ship jobs to foreign countries, which has been carving up the middle class in this country like a roast.

I giggle every time I hear some disingenuous political boob blathering about "Mr President! Where are the jobs!" or some nonsense to that effect. We know exactly where the jobs are: China, India, SE Asia, Mexico, and anywhere else some CEO in Midtown can think of in order to fatten his bonus by cutting labor and production costs.

So we can all stop playing dumb about where the jobs are and how they got there, or about how we expect the President to snap his fingers and make our owies all better. He couldn't fix this even if he really cared to, and all evidence indicates he doesn't. So, welcome to the sh1tty new America. We've earned it.

It's funny because one of the primary duties of the president is to bring down labor wages. Nixon started, and bush finished the job with china having a huge manufacturing base.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:01 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
As usual, this thread has degenerated into breast beating about the evil bankers, politicians and the new world order, and the usual suspects come out of the woodwork with their gloom and doom rants.

It's capitalism. What else do you expect?

No recession is here to stay. Economics say that everything is a recurring cycle. At least the younger folks should be glad their retirement funds are not effed yet. When we younger generations come out of this recession, we will come with a fresh perspective on saving for the future, unlike the boomers.

I am not too miffed about China. Noone knows when their real estate bubble will burst and where China will stand if the communist regime collapses. Rather, practical talk about how to make a good decision and weather these current happenings would be a better thing to do. I have survived two recessions - the dotcom of 2000 which looked like killing my career in its nascence and 2008. I improvised, shredded all my savings moving three states and I somehow am back on track. Don't ask me how. But when in danger, improvise, make difficult decisions and change the approach.

Reading your posts, I feel like I am compelled to pack my backpack like henry1's and run for the hills

Old 05-19-2011, 12:05 PM

175 posts, read 487,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
As usual, this thread has degenerated into breast beating about the evil bankers, politicians and the new world order, and the usual suspects come out of the woodwork with their gloom and doom rants.

No recession is here to stay. Economics say that everything is a recurring cycle. At least the younger folks should be glad their retirement funds are not effed yet. When we younger generations come out of this recession, we will come with a fresh perspective on saving for the future, unlike the boomers.

I am not too miffed about China. Noone knows when their real estate bubble will burst and where China will stand if the communist regime collapses. Rather, practical talk about how to make a good decision and weather these current happenings would be a better thing to do. I have survived two recessions - the dotcom of 2000 which looked like killing my career in its nascence and 2008. I improvised, shredded all my savings moving three states and I somehow am back on track. Don't ask me how. But when in danger, improvise, make difficult decisions and change the approach.

Reading your posts, I feel like I am compelled to pack my backpack like henry1's and run for the hills

Well, its not really capitalism when you give bankers trillions of dollars. And speaking of communism, china has been 10x more capitalist than here.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Well, we'll see what happens in good time. There's lots of writing on the wall as to why nobody should be too bullish on America anymore. This seems far more "captain obvious" than "chicken little" at this point, but that's just my opinion of course. People will wear whatever colored glasses they want to wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City