Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 05:23 PM

749 posts, read 2,456,303 times

Advertisements

Really, there's nothing wrong with jobs paying 25K - 40K. You're not obligated to apply for these jobs. If the salary range is too low, your only option is to apply for higher paying jobs and gain the necessary credentials for them. You have a lot of control over how much you earn, especially if you were born in America. If you don't want to work hard and study hard, don't expect to have much say on how much you'll earn. On the other hand if you do...the sky is the limit in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 05:38 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,169,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Really, there's nothing wrong with jobs paying 25K - 40K. You're not obligated to apply for these jobs. If the salary range is too low, your only option is to apply for higher paying jobs and gain the necessary credentials for them. You have a lot of control over how much you earn, especially if you were born in America. If you don't want to work hard and study hard, don't expect to have much say on how much you'll earn. On the other hand if you do...the sky is the limit in this country.
Oh I can't wait for everyone to jump all over you with this bright comment. LOL

Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 PM

749 posts, read 2,456,303 times
No one owes anyone anything in NYC. The market dictates the price of a skill set. Salaries aren't higher in NYC in general compared to other cities just because employers are being nice - it's because the market has set the salary at that level and that's what qualified talent is willing to work for based on the COL. If qualified people will work at a lower price, but it's too low for you, you have no other option but to exit that market. There's no real point complaining about it, it's like complaining that your stocks are falling but you still hold on to them.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 PM

15 posts, read 59,629 times
Word!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:55 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,598,902 times
Quote:
It is what it is at this point. Even though real income has been falling for decades in this country because of macroeconomic trends, there's nothing you as an individual can really do about that (besides voting with your dollars and ballots). You still have to do what it takes to survive. If something is the best you can get, that's what you take.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:32 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,291,823 times
Quote:
This is the exact reason why I will be become self-employed eventually.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:42 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,902,085 times
Well the NYC unemployment scene is about to get more crowded.....and people still want to flock here no job lined up at all...

Goldman Sachs Will Lay Off 230 Employees In New York City

Old 06-29-2011, 07:26 PM

13 posts, read 18,538 times
I think that the gross amount of everyones wages combined in NYC has not changed. What happen is that a much smaller pool of people are on-top raking in more money then ever before, and next to that is a Massive pool of us small-people struggling at the bottom and making much much less the before. What has occured is a hyper-inflated version of how the rich just get richer, and the poor just get poorer.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:39 PM

13 posts, read 18,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It is what it is at this point. Even though real income has been falling for decades in this country because of macroeconomic trends, there's nothing you as an individual can really do about that (besides voting with your dollars and ballots). You still have to do what it takes to survive. If something is the best you can get, that's what you take.
I have been advocating people to just NOT VOTE! I have no supporters yet, so, I am online. I think the truth is that our votes really Do Not Count Anymore. The voting system is totally rigged... heck, the results are broadcasted by big media on the TV.

I have voted via Mail before (in another state), filling in a check box, never receiving a confirmation of any sort... I swear by it. Don't vote. What's the point? Don't believe that age old saying "every vote counts" because it doesn't anymore!

Old 06-30-2011, 04:20 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,169,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
This is the exact reason why I will be become self-employed eventually.
It's my #1 goal in life. I don't even care if I go from making 75k (for example lol) to 55-60k self employed. The real power lies in ones freedom and not having to worry that you will be cut at any moment.

While I'm not quite 30, I have noticed a horrible trend. People are consistently hired and fired. I used to think it was just at my companies, but it's everywhere--esp. here in NYC. I feel awful because people over 35 have it bad, unless they have a highly specialized skill or degree.

Why? Because they are consistently let go and replaced with 22 year old kids who will work for 1/2 of what they made and take on twice the load because they're desperate to get their foot in the door.

I have literally seen this happen so many times I have lost count. It makes me nervous because I feel like, as a woman, I've got the next 10 years going for me, but that's not a big window for me to get married, have kids, build a career, etc. Lots of pressure.

Others may think this is silly, but I stress this kind of stuff now and have seen how bad it is. Unless you're an exceptionally intelligent and goodlooking 35+ year old woman, you're on a bumpy road for the future.

People can disagree with me as much as they want...I'm stashing away every last penny possible and crossing my fingers that I'll be able to be self employed and making at least 60k/year in 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City