Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 01:06 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
does "everyone" also include people who don't work i think subsidies should go to the deserving. included in that are folks who do essential-but-undesirable jobs.
Way off topic - I don't think people who lose their jobs should lose their access to health care, and of course I think there should be incentives to keep people from abusing benefits, but I don't consider it up to me to decide who's deserving of health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,848 times
There are some lessons to be learned from all of this. Most of us were raised to get a good education (debt) and go out and get a good job working for other people (dependence). Now these things that we were taught are no longer in our best interest.....gone are the days where paychecks are guaranteed, people work over 20 years at the same job and lay offs hardly ever happen. The new reality has taught us that no one is safe and instead of teaching our children and grandchildren to be dependent on a company in order to survive in this world we all better un-learn what we were taught growing up and learn how to become independent. This way the next time a recession happens people will hopefully be better prepared to weather the storm!

Old 05-19-2011, 01:45 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
There are some lessons to be learned from all of this. Most of us were raised to get a good education (debt) and go out and get a good job working for other people (dependence). Now these things that we were taught are no longer in our best interest.....gone are the days where paychecks are guaranteed, people work over 20 years at the same job and lay offs hardly ever happen. The new reality has taught us that no one is safe and instead of teaching our children and grandchildren to be dependent on a company in order to survive in this world we all better un-learn what we were taught growing up and learn how to become independent. This way the next time a recession happens people will hopefully be better prepared to weather the storm!
This is so true.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:46 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
There are some lessons to be learned from all of this. Most of us were raised to get a good education (debt) and go out and get a good job working for other people (dependence). Now these things that we were taught are no longer in our best interest.....gone are the days where paychecks are guaranteed, people work over 20 years at the same job and lay offs hardly ever happen.
I think this already happened some time ago. These things were already gone for folks in late as '90s (at least in US). This is also true for Asia where whole emphasis on company is family and you work hard for company, company take care of you like family thing has disappeared too. What I grew up with (I'm 32 now) as young adult and as professional is that you don't count on anyone or any entity to provide you with anything. Whether that's job stability, loans to get good education, retirement, etc. Harsh truth is that it's up to everyone as individuals to look out for themselves without taking extreme one-sided advantage of someone or entity. In a way it's sad because the wholesome image of those days are gone but it is what it is and must be done to survive. Also this contributes to chick and egg situation with companies and employees.

Employee: Why should I as employee stick around for long to work my butt off and contribute when I'm not growing as much as I could be at this company (financially & professionally) when I can hop to another place that I can grow more in those areas. It's not like the company will take care of me later, I gotta look out for myself.

Company: Why should we as company nurture and invest time to help you grow if you probably don't plan on stick around and when we can go find someone just as good or better outside our company and bring them in.

This is very evident just by looking at how large companies are hiring their executive levels. Many companies if not most except for few known ones go out and head hunt for CEO or bring in outsider to SVP, VP executive level. Plus big increases we have seen in past decade for use of consultants is another supporting example.

Edit: When individuals start to take extreme advantages, we have situations like real estate bubble bursting and causing the havoc of '08. People and companies got greedy, didn't care. Some individuals got real estate they couldn't afford and shouldn't have bought. Companies lent out money they shouldn't have, gov't didn't keep check and wanted the taxes and good times to roll on. etc.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:40 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,074 times
I do have to say this 'recession' that we're in has made me better with how I handle my money. I am very tight with a buck now. Examples:

-I shop at the dollar store now for cleaning supplies, stationary/office supplies, holiday decor, candles, all sorts of little things I used to buy for much more elsewhere

-Use Groupon when I do go out (you can actually save a TON of money by doing this)

-Natural homemade beauty recipes. You can find a lot of them online. By using what's already in your cupboards and fridge, you can get pretty and spend hardly anything

-Not drying clothes completely. I wash some items only partially, then hang them to air dry. They last several times as long that way.

-Ebay. Any time I have something I don't have any use for I sell it there. That way I can truly justify a new purchase.

-Online weekly circulars. By browsing your local grocery and drug stores' circulars online, you can quickly figure out where the sales are without leaving home. Then you can stock up on items that are deeply discounted.

-Eating at home for most meals, replacing a sizable portion of meat with legumes and beans instead. Not only is it cheaper, you will become healthier and thinner.

These are just some of the ways I have learned to cut back. I keep the extra money I would have used in a giant glass jug with the top superglued on it so I can't open it. I probably have thrown enough into that thing to go to Paris already lol. But it is for emergencies only, and it's really cool to know I've saved so much just by making simple changes.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Because of how tight the Economy is....It's an Employers market they have the upper hand in this type of environment. With it being such a dog fight for any job, they (employers) know they can low ball salaries and still possibly attract well qualified individuals to take the job.

In the Clinton era (90's) when the Economy was running high on all cylinders, it was an Employees market, because Employers were the ones doing the Dog Fighting for the top talent... Its totally supply and demand....when supply outweighs demand Employers have the upper hand....vice versa Employees have the upper..

This is why I tell co-workers and collegues This is not the best time to be making waves, demanding raises and promotions you will talk yourself right out of a job. Just stay the course until you hear about the economy starting to turn back to the employees advantage then you go in for the kill.

At my firm I can tell you we did slash salaries on open positions, someone working as Sr Analyst traditionally started at 70K, now we start at high 50's low 60's for the same position....Entry levels/Jr's started at 60K is now down to low 50's
your right about alot of companys and they are really weeding out the people who do not do the work that they want them to do .. now it about to make the most profit they can get now with least amount of cash output..

i watch alot of the workers do you what have said talk themself out of a job

we had hired this guy and told him that his prostion was to be a speed bartender not to flair bartender at this bartender station inside the place ..he was let go and he could understand the basic reason of when we say pump out the drinks to the waitstaff and stop showing off because your eating time that need to make the customer drinks .

we have talk with him twice before he was let go and we explained to the gentlemen that the prostion he was put in was to be a speed bartender pumping out the volume of drinks that the cocktail waitness need not standing there showing off every time you made a drink ..

he tells us after the first week that we are wasteing his skills and talent on this bar ..he should have been hired to work the main bar where he can show off his talent ..

they had to explain to him you have to work the speed bar first then after a while you get worked into the main bar schedule shifts that are on the weekly work she ..this is to make sure you can follow the orders that we have for you ..

then a couple days later he gets mad because he finds out from the head bartender that he goes to work another shift at the speed bar prostion and throws a fit along with finding out what the head bartender makes in his prostion after 12 years with the company ..

he goes into HR and tells them that they need to be paying him that typle of money because he worth it ..

that how i got inolved with it and he was walked out the door and told to go get on the speed bar or be fired right there on the spot.. he did not belive he was going to be fired because of socalled skill and talents as a bartender was going to be need for the opening of one place in the midwest ..

he was wrong and he was let go that day ..he was saying that he not makeing good money as the main bar people.. i told him you have 12 waitness to you bar station and you pumping out a volume of drinks and you not makeing money ..come on do not b.s me on that one ..plus he was getting paid standard min wage because of the state we where in made you pay them because the state would not allow us to pay them the standard wage of $4.5o a hour as a bartenders and waitstaff there in the state ...

i know he had to be clearing at least bare take home each night was about $200 dollars a night in tips for a 5 day work week that was on a slow night alot more of a friday and sat night ..so he screwed himself out of $800.oo a week in tips a week because he left he was not getting his place in the bar ..

the part that allways got me was you have to start at the bottom on some jobs and other job you can start somewhere in the middle ..but keep your mouth shut in a market as bad it right now and ride it out .he never got that part ..

in his mind he should been on the main bar from day one and i tried to tell him you have to pay your dues first before you can make the big bucks in some areas of the work force ..

we tell everyone who is put on the speed bar it about volume and it about speed to pump out a drink to the waitness and it means get in there and get there and get it done ..no showing off no standing around trying to pick up the girls it about business at hand ..

once you show us you can do that and then you moved out to one of the bars on the floor but you have to put your time in heck before getting the good spots ..

Old 05-19-2011, 06:44 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I do have to say this 'recession' that we're in has made me better with how I handle my money. I am very tight with a buck now. Examples:

-I shop at the dollar store now for cleaning supplies, stationary/office supplies, holiday decor, candles, all sorts of little things I used to buy for much more elsewhere

-Use Groupon when I do go out (you can actually save a TON of money by doing this)

-Natural homemade beauty recipes. You can find a lot of them online. By using what's already in your cupboards and fridge, you can get pretty and spend hardly anything

-Not drying clothes completely. I wash some items only partially, then hang them to air dry. They last several times as long that way.

-Ebay. Any time I have something I don't have any use for I sell it there. That way I can truly justify a new purchase.

-Online weekly circulars. By browsing your local grocery and drug stores' circulars online, you can quickly figure out where the sales are without leaving home. Then you can stock up on items that are deeply discounted.

-Eating at home for most meals, replacing a sizable portion of meat with legumes and beans instead. Not only is it cheaper, you will become healthier and thinner.

These are just some of the ways I have learned to cut back. I keep the extra money I would have used in a giant glass jug with the top superglued on it so I can't open it. I probably have thrown enough into that thing to go to Paris already lol. But it is for emergencies only, and it's really cool to know I've saved so much just by making simple changes.
I do some of the SAME exact stuff. I paint my own nails, wax my eyebrows, buy used designer clothes for a couple of bucks at garage sales and wash them off. NO ONE CAN TELL. Everyone tells me how great I look and they wouldn't imagine my entire outfit cost less than $20.

I make almost everything from scratch. I look up free stuff to do and I definitely don't blow my money at the bar or going out to eat too often.
This recession has put the fear of GOD in me.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,993 times
here is something else i notice about people and the work force inside the city of NY and this statement is more of dealing some of the people i have met so far up there ..

i hired a person sister to be a helper a couple of days a week to help me on how to get around on the subway & pick up the mail at the office and apt and make sure it left on the desk when i come home pick the dry cleaning as it need if i go out of town ..she a college kid and i know that college can be a little bit of a problem with dealing with a job and life at times..

Last week i had to go into the hospital for a couple of days o have some test done and i would be gone about three days and make sure she did everything i had left her on the list is done ..

she has done this before and i had to warn her about it and i did tell her if i came home and found my mailbox stuffed full again and the mail from the office not picked and things not done after leaveing you a list to do ..your going to be fired and i find someone else to do it ..

this weds i let her go because of her not wanting to do things i need to get done ..

like i told her to free up one day a couple of weeks ago and we where going to do the subway thing and she goes i'm not going to do that at all ..

one of the things i love to do in the city is go into old bookstores and spend hours in this places and i had made a list of six places and the address to where they where at in the city in Manhatten and New York city itself ..

i show her the address and she goes i'm not rideing the subway to those places find someone else to do that part..she goes ask my sister to show you those places.

she a book nut also and on top of that she goes you need to pay me for the week also ..

it just get me for a weekly job of one to two days a week job she blew it ..

her sister told her is cash on the table no problems with getting the money and all you have to do is show up for a couple days a week take him and show him how the subway works and how to get around useing it ..he buy lunch and drinks when you out and all you have to do be there when he needs you to be there or if you in class that day he wants to do it tell him i'm in class and we could do it another day ..

all she had to basically do is pick up the mail and the dry cleaning and the packages from the office and take them to the house if i was out of the city and pick up the mail from the mail box and put in the apt ..

if the package where a big type boxs from amazon have a messager service pick them up and the office would pay for it and she just had to be there for them to do them off and she could not even do that ..

so now i went with a service that offers the same things i wanted out of her .

i now have trip planner application for the subway and i just put in my start point and end address and it does it for me and then i just print out the map of the subway numbers i need to take and i get around ok now ..

Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,753 times
Henry I'm sure you're a really nice person, but reading your posts are killing me lol. I have no idea what you're trying to say. You lost me.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
Back to the OP:
The once dominating $30-50K income segment was almost decimated. I mean jobs that carry an annual salary plus benefits. It was converted to $12-$20 hourly payed jobs with no benefits. On the other hand, the once $100K jobs, were kicked up to become $500K-1M (plus bonus) positions. As a matter of fact, the more high management makes, the less they are inclined to add $0.01 to their employees income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City