Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 03:24 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,942 times

Advertisements

I am friends with a guy who's a doorman for a luxury building on the UWS. He makes 38K per year but also gets benefits and generous tips during the holidays as the other poster mentioned. Certainly still nowhere close to 65K a year though. And it's not like it's a female-friendly job either, so making an argument to switch to that from office work doesn't hold water. At least for me, I've never seen a female doing a door job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGonzo069 View Post
PinkyBumpkin, I can definitely use your assistance as far as reviewing my resume. I hope my request is not too late, thanks so much
No problemo. Shoot it to my inbox

Old 05-23-2011, 07:13 PM

24 posts, read 73,247 times
I'm insulted that you would knock the doorman job down. Listen, we make over $20 an hour so get your facts straight. We get the best health coverage and depending how big your building is, $5,000 for christmas on the average. Also we get to sit down too if the lobby is not busy. We meet incredibly nice tenants who are a blessing to us. I am blessed and didnt need a college degree. Not for nothing but if you lost your job, leave your resume in a rental or coop building...who knows what might happen. But go for the high rise buildings that are 20 floors plus. These usually hit you with $9,000 to $14,000 for christmas.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:18 PM

24 posts, read 73,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I am friends with a guy who's a doorman for a luxury building on the UWS. He makes 38K per year but also gets benefits and generous tips during the holidays as the other poster mentioned. Certainly still nowhere close to 65K a year though. And it's not like it's a female-friendly job either, so making an argument to switch to that from office work doesn't hold water. At least for me, I've never seen a female doing a door job.
It clearly seems to me that your friend doesn't really know how much hes making or he's not a 100% employee. First 2.5 years you get 60% but then it goes up to 100%. Even if hes making 60%, christmas money brings up his pay an extra $5,000 on the average. Ask him how much he brings home for christmas. Yes Im also including our health benefits because most office employees either dont have health benefits or the benefits are mediocre. Also don't forget the tips we make daily. However that depends on the building...

I know someone who works in JPMorgan as a supervisor and he tells me how they dont have a union and how easy it is for them to get fired....Don't knock down the doorman job...you might be begging for one.... one day.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM

99 posts, read 349,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I seriously doubt a typical nanny makes $100k, (I'd be shocked it it was half that...you'd see a bit more waspy professional types dragging babies around if it were), but kudos anyway. That's a sweetheart position not easily replaced.
You're right, a typical nanny doesn't make that much, but most make at least $40K. I have definitely hit the jackpot with my job in terms of pay and benefits (full health care, luxury travel etc) but I do have a wonderful British accent

Old 05-23-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gez137 View Post
Pinky, you are speaking the truth. My wife was unfortunately let go earlier this year and she's literally going on 20+ agencies and still nothing or absurd offers. Friday she was offered a job in the high 30's (after the agency said it was 50+k) and they expected her to be proficient in literally a dozen programs and support a staff of about 25 people (she's more than qualified, but that's not the point). That's crazy! She graduated from a top school and has a resume that most would love to have. I myself have started job searching and have a good work history and an ok degree (no rocket science degree..lol) and have seen positions similar to mine paying almost half of what I make now. I'm looking to leave just because I feel its time and I'm at an ok place, but the money is decent. I didn't think the payscale has gone so south. I've been with my company for 6 years and what I make now was the norm in my field a few years ago. Its unrealistic for them to want you to be skilled to the teeth and pay you as low as they seem to be. We are both from here and haven't ever seen it this hard for jobs that make decent money. 50k+ in this city (newsflash...it ain't cheap here) isn't considered great money, but right now it looks like that's what it is. Good luck to everyone looking, rant over.
Wow, that's terrible. Does she have a degree? How many years of experience does she have? I only ask about a degree because it seems they require it for every effin' job these days, including janitor! ..well not really, but you get my point.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 AM

12 posts, read 21,411 times
I just wanted to say that I am in the same boat, here in NYC. I moved here a couple of years ago, thinking there would be opportunites abound and great pay to boot. I was wrong. The comment about standing in the subway, all dressed up and wanting to cry was me yesterday, at about 6:00 p.m after yet another interview that went nowhere. I don't expect to hear back from them and quite frankly don't care if I do. I am currently working in in Brooklyn, but not making near enough to live on in NYC while interviewing with companies in the city hoping to get a better paying job. They are all admin jobs, not paying much more, unfortuately.

My lease is up on my way overpriced shoebox apt. in Park Slope in August. If I don't get the job I am interviewing for tomorrow (third interview), which actually pays enough that I could justify staying here, I think I am going to move on. The stress of living here and the high cost of living is simply not worth it. Two years of being here has proven that point.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie1990 View Post
I just wanted to say that I am in the same boat, here in NYC. I moved here a couple of years ago, thinking there would be opportunites abound and great pay to boot. I was wrong. The comment about standing in the subway, all dressed up and wanting to cry was me yesterday, at about 6:00 p.m after yet another interview that went nowhere. I don't expect to hear back from them and quite frankly don't care if I do. I am currently working in in Brooklyn, but not making near enough to live on in NYC while interviewing with companies in the city hoping to get a better paying job. They are all admin jobs, not paying much more, unfortuately.

My lease is up on my way overpriced shoebox apt. in Park Slope in August. If I don't get the job I am interviewing for tomorrow (third interview), which actually pays enough that I could justify staying here, I think I am going to move on. The stress of living here and the high cost of living is simply not worth it. Two years of being here has proven that point.
I can relate to this feeling, but I think I'm a bit luckier since my guy is from here and we have our housing taken care of...as in, he takes care of it.
I have struggled in life and even been homeless as a teen. If I wasn't tied down to this city I would be on the next flight out of here. The USA is such a big place and one can ALWAYS come back to NYC when things get better.

I'm getting good temp work, but feel the same way you do about interviews. It's very draining and practically makes me want to stick to temping.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycdoorman View Post
It clearly seems to me that your friend doesn't really know how much hes making or he's not a 100% employee. First 2.5 years you get 60% but then it goes up to 100%. Even if hes making 60%, christmas money brings up his pay an extra $5,000 on the average. Ask him how much he brings home for christmas. Yes Im also including our health benefits because most office employees either dont have health benefits or the benefits are mediocre. Also don't forget the tips we make daily. However that depends on the building...

I know someone who works in JPMorgan as a supervisor and he tells me how they dont have a union and how easy it is for them to get fired....Don't knock down the doorman job...you might be begging for one.... one day.
Im a doorman, I make a lousy 14 dollars a day. THe JEwish owner wants to get rid of unions in his other buildings too. I also get benefits too like general health and dental. Onetime while at work a guy handed me his resume he graduated from MIT. IT was sad thats when I realized that the economy is really bad, oh yeah he was a white guy too!

Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 PM

217 posts, read 553,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkybumpkin View Post
Wow, that's terrible. Does she have a degree? How many years of experience does she have? I only ask about a degree because it seems they require it for every effin' job these days, including janitor! ..well not really, but you get my point.
Im sure it got lost in that long post I wrote. It was an eye sore to read. Yeah wifey graduated from a great top tier school in the New England area and has worked for 2 great non american banks (ie: Duetsche Bank type). Not them, but that type. Pretty pathetic that she has to deal with this type thing. I cant imagine how hard it is for someone who doesnt have a solid education and work history.

Also to Stephanies post below yours....We really do feel like bailing on NYC eventually and at times as well. My favorite cousin just bought a 3000 sq. foot home in NC and it has 4 bedrooms/3 Bath and him and his wife have regular jobs (nothing earth shattering) and live great (paid less than 250K for it) while we pay well over 1K a month to live here in NY. Add to that, everything in NY is a hassle. I live about 10 blocks from the subway and Ive had times where it takes me 30-40 mins to get there. NY does ware on you after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City