Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:24 PM

12 posts, read 22,409 times

Advertisements

So I am seriously considering moving to NYC. Always been a dream of mine. Want to know if it is financially feasible.

The nice thing is I have a job. I work for a web design company, work from home. Pull in about $40k a year doing so. Also, I am going to start doing freelance web design on the side, hoping to bring in another $5k-$10k a year starting, hopefully more eventually.

Can I make it in New York on that? Now, I am not expecting downtown loft apartment and partying with models every weekend of course. But getting a decent 1 bedroom somewhere in the metro area, not having to worry about a commute, could I live and have enough money to enjoy some of the things that NYC has to offer on a semi-regular basis?

I currently live in Portland and do fine on my salary, with a car payment. If I move to NYC I will probably sell the car, so there's an extra $500/mo with payment and insurance there, hoping that's a big enough buffer to compensate for the higher cost of living there.

Again, I want to live in the metro, but I am not talking downtown living. I would also like to live in a place where I am not mugged every time I leave my apartment obviously, but I don't need anything too ridiculously fancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 02:48 PM

74 posts, read 125,531 times
Taylor dear, the muggers are out in force during poor economic times. Best if you stay away.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:14 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,593,797 times
i think you probably need a roommate otherwise deal with a shoebox

Old 05-18-2011, 04:23 PM

285 posts, read 869,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorH View Post
So I am seriously considering moving to NYC. Always been a dream of mine. Want to know if it is financially feasible.

The nice thing is I have a job. I work for a web design company, work from home. Pull in about $40k a year doing so. Also, I am going to start doing freelance web design on the side, hoping to bring in another $5k-$10k a year starting, hopefully more eventually.

Can I make it in New York on that? Now, I am not expecting downtown loft apartment and partying with models every weekend of course. But getting a decent 1 bedroom somewhere in the metro area, not having to worry about a commute, could I live and have enough money to enjoy some of the things that NYC has to offer on a semi-regular basis?

I currently live in Portland and do fine on my salary, with a car payment. If I move to NYC I will probably sell the car, so there's an extra $500/mo with payment and insurance there, hoping that's a big enough buffer to compensate for the higher cost of living there.

Again, I want to live in the metro, but I am not talking downtown living. I would also like to live in a place where I am not mugged every time I leave my apartment obviously, but I don't need anything too ridiculously fancy.
Outer boroughs or roommate or both. Without a car (New Yorkers do drive, especially in the outer boroughs) you need to be close to some decent transportation which means rent will be more. I know you telecommute but you don't want to move to NYC and then live in a desolate area, I assume.

And really push that freelance side gig so you can have more money to enjoy NYC!

Old 05-18-2011, 04:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Totally feasible if you sell your car and most of your junk. Sounds like a big deal to move all the way across the country, and I guess it is the first time you do it, but really, it's not a big deal if you have a portable career and can fit everything you need in a couple suitcases and a carry on bag. You can obviously have stuff shipped to you later if it works out and you decide you want to stay long term.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:11 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
You need a roomate to afford living in Manhattan and the better parts of Queens/ Brooklyn/ Hoboken. You only qualify for $1,000/mo rent on a $40k income in NYC. That does not get much more than a room (not a studio, a room) until you're looking at neighborhoods about an hour from Manhattan in BFE Queens/ Bronx/ Jersey/ Brooklyn.

I moved to NYC 10 years ago making $40k. It was TOUGH- even with a roomate- until I cracked $50k. And that was with 2001 rents/ food/ subway pass/ etc, not the 2011 prices.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:18 PM

177 posts, read 416,503 times
Sure it's feasible to live here. If your reference to the "Metro" is Manhattan, it would likely not be in Manhattan unless you become a room mate. There'd be no reason you couldn't get a nice place for $1000 to 1100 for a nice studio or $1100 - 1400 for a nice one bedroom in a safe area in NYC in Brooklyn for example. You could do it. Not saying you'll have a bundle to live on, but it'd certainly be enough to go out once a week, and have the refrigerator stocked. If you want to give it a try and can, why not?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:07 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Realistically you'd be looking at subletting a room in an apt with a couple other people to get started out. This is not necessarily a bad thing since roommates can serve multiple roles for awhile if you don't already know people, but finding a decent living sitch can be chore. You wouldn't have any furniture or household crap to furnish your own apartment anyway at first (nor would I recommend someone new to town signing a lease anyway until they had a better feel for the area.)

Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 PM

12 posts, read 22,409 times
Define shoebox? The place I live in now is about 500 sqft. That;s more then enough room for my couch, 50" tv, queen sized bed and fairly large computer desk setup. That's really all I need.

I have been looking on craigslist for apartments under $800, there seems to be a decent amount, but then again I have no point of reference as to if they are in just horrible neighborhoods or not.

For example, something like this:
Union City / Huge Studio Apt - Modern Kitchen / No Fee (http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/abo/2388909133.html - broken link)

Decent deal, or am I missing something?

I like living on my own, but I wouldn't mind living with roommates, I just have had a problem in the past with roommates that don't clean up after themselves, don't pay their bills, etc. Rooming with another responsible 20-something would be fine, possibly even fun. Would make the whole not knowing anyone in town easier.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorH View Post
Define shoebox? The place I live in now is about 500 sqft. That;s more then enough room for my couch, 50" tv, queen sized bed and fairly large computer desk setup. That's really all I need.

I have been looking on craigslist for apartments under $800, there seems to be a decent amount, but then again I have no point of reference as to if they are in just horrible neighborhoods or not.

For example, something like this:
Union City / Huge Studio Apt - Modern Kitchen / No Fee (http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/abo/2388909133.html - broken link)

Decent deal, or am I missing something?

I like living on my own, but I wouldn't mind living with roommates, I just have had a problem in the past with roommates that don't clean up after themselves, don't pay their bills, etc. Rooming with another responsible 20-something would be fine, possibly even fun. Would make the whole not knowing anyone in town easier.
I don't really know where Union City is, but if you want to pay $800 a month, why not get some roommates and live in an area that has a cafe culture, young people, other designers, etc.

If you really must live alone, you can probably find something for $1000. There's a recent thread just from the past few days about someone searching for and finding a decent studio for under $1000.

Do your tax returns show that you earned $40K for the past few years, or did you take a bunch of deductions, say, on the Schedule C for home office, travel, etc. that bring the $40K down to $30K? If you get your own apartment (vs. a roommate situation) you will be expected to prove your income and show your tax returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City