Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:32 PM

620 posts, read 1,073,663 times

Advertisements

Still ghetto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 06:44 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oharris30 View Post
Just reading all the information on Bedford park since I am considering moving there with my daughter who will be attending Lehman. We moved away from NY three years ago but are looking to return home, However moving back into the city is not easy which I suppose everyone knows with the high rents. Actually my daughter and I have decided we really don't want to be back in the fast pace too much anymore and would consider somewhere outside not too far away from Manhattan. It has been a while since any comments on Bedford Park and I was wondering how it is now. Thanks.
The previous posts seem to be stating that the further north you are in Bedford Park, the better it gets with those being north of Bedford Park Boulevard being best. Not sure what it's like these days. Anyone in the area have an itinerary for a nice day going around Bedford Park?

Old 04-07-2014, 07:14 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
its pretty small. Mosholu Pkwy, the Concourse and sidestreets to the E, and a restaurant on Webster Ave would be the main attractions

Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The previous posts seem to be stating that the further north you are in Bedford Park, the better it gets with those being north of Bedford Park Boulevard being best. Not sure what it's like these days. Anyone in the area have an itinerary for a nice day going around Bedford Park?
No question years ago Bedford Park served as some sort of imaginary demarkation line. IMO that no longer holds true. Pietrang and Company, Is there no other area that seems to spark so much controversy as my old hood? I'm starting to think that posters ask about the area to spark debates and controversy!

SuperMario, Old school Tolentine people would not like the area near Refuge being called " Fordham Area". Also my man, It's Mosholu not Moshulo. You just gave your ethnicity away.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:11 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
No question years ago Bedford Park served as some sort of imaginary demarkation line. IMO that no longer holds true. Pietrang and Company, Is there no other area that seems to spark so much controversy as my old hood? I'm starting to think that posters ask about the area to spark debates and controversy!

SuperMario, Old school Tolentine people would not like the area near Refuge being called " Fordham Area". Also my man, It's Mosholu not Moshulo. You just gave your ethnicity away.
So does that mean more that areas south of Bedford Park has gotten better or that areas north of Bedford Park have gotten worse?

Old 04-08-2014, 01:04 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oharris30 View Post
Just reading all the information on Bedford park since I am considering moving there with my daughter who will be attending Lehman. We moved away from NY three years ago but are looking to return home, However moving back into the city is not easy which I suppose everyone knows with the high rents. Actually my daughter and I have decided we really don't want to be back in the fast pace too much anymore and would consider somewhere outside not too far away from Manhattan. It has been a while since any comments on Bedford Park and I was wondering how it is now. Thanks.
Bedford Park is a pretty decent area. I recommend anything east of the Grand Concourse.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 PM

139 posts, read 101,848 times
@oharris30

I have been living in Bedford Park Boulevard (about 2 blocks from the Botanical Gardens) since 2011.

My wife lived here alone between 2012 and 2013 (since she goes to Lehman). We have had no issues. The building, locality, people are all wonderful. We are South Asians, and have no issues with shopping for food, groceries, etc.

Parking is difficult (95% of the time near impossible to get a free spot), so I park my car in one of the garages - much easier than paying for tickets during alternate parking days.

Pros:
- affordable housing (i live in one of the Co-Op buildings owned by Maxx realty, which people in this forum are aware)
- very safe
- diverse (multi-ethnic)
- extremely comfortable for public transportation
- nearby groceries and day-to-day stuff (fine fare, pioneer, family dollar, subway, chinese food, etc)

Cons:
- Parking
- Getting a "package" delivered to your building is near impossible. UPS / USPS/ FedEx/ DHL won't deliver and/or even call even if put up a sign in the building door. So everytime you have to go to the respective offices (usually Fordham or other places) to pick up stuff. This is big only because you spend significant time picking up a package delivered to your home - which is not really ideal with work schedules and weather the way they are (esp. in winter)

Can't really think of anything bad. My wife and I love the area, and would probably purchase an apartment in a few years when I'm in a my mid-30s.

HTH.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach1947 View Post
@oharris30

I have been living in Bedford Park Boulevard (about 2 blocks from the Botanical Gardens) since 2011.

My wife lived here alone between 2012 and 2013 (since she goes to Lehman). We have had no issues. The building, locality, people are all wonderful. We are South Asians, and have no issues with shopping for food, groceries, etc.

Parking is difficult (95% of the time near impossible to get a free spot), so I park my car in one of the garages - much easier than paying for tickets during alternate parking days.

Pros:
- affordable housing (i live in one of the Co-Op buildings owned by Maxx realty, which people in this forum are aware)
- very safe
- diverse (multi-ethnic)
- extremely comfortable for public transportation
- nearby groceries and day-to-day stuff (fine fare, pioneer, family dollar, subway, chinese food, etc)

Cons:
- Parking
- Getting a "package" delivered to your building is near impossible. UPS / USPS/ FedEx/ DHL won't deliver and/or even call even if put up a sign in the building door. So everytime you have to go to the respective offices (usually Fordham or other places) to pick up stuff. This is big only because you spend significant time picking up a package delivered to your home - which is not really ideal with work schedules and weather the way they are (esp. in winter)

Can't really think of anything bad. My wife and I love the area, and would probably purchase an apartment in a few years when I'm in a my mid-30s.

HTH.
Kach, Your a 100% right about the parking. If you don't mind me asking, not your bldg. # but what street are you on? Decatur?

Old 04-08-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So does that mean more that areas south of Bedford Park has gotten better or that areas north of Bedford Park have gotten worse?
I would say the area is a building by building area. You can be in a Coop building but next to a 5 story section 8 building.

Honestly, when a poster says is an area safe? How does one answer that? What if the person lived there for 30 years and remembers things differently? Does the person use the subway after midnight? Does the person only shop at Trader Joes or Whole foods? The whole question is very subjective. What if your a person that was a victim of a crime? I would guess your perception is different then a person who wasn't.

I will say something now that I would have never said 20 years ago. If I was offered a Coop apt in let's say 800 Grand Concourse or 860 GC. Also offered a Coop in 325 E 201 or 3201 GC. I might lean towards the south today. Living in the North would of been a no brainer 20-25 years ago. Funny how times have changed.

Last edited by Norwood Boy; 04-08-2014 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 06:26 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I would say the area is a building by building area. You can be in a Coop building but next to a 5 story section 8 building.

Honestly, when a poster says is an area safe? How does one answer that? What if the person lived there for 30 years and remembers things differently? Does the person use the subway after midnight? Does the person only shop at Trader Joes or Whole foods? The whole question is very subjective. What if your a person that was a victim of a crime? I would guess your perception is different then a person who wasn't.

I will say something now that I would have never said 20 years ago. If I was offered a Coop apt in let's say 800 Grand Concourse or 860 GC. Also offered a Coop in 325 E 201 or 3201 GC. I might lean towards the south today. Living in the North would of been a no brainer 20-25 years ago. Funny how times have changed.
I can't remember which building, I think it was 800. But I had a friend that lived there and I used to hang with in the mid 90s. The building was nice even back then. But walk a block east and the neighborhood went downhill fast.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City