Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,251 times

Advertisements

Are people not sick of paying $3,000 / month for an apartment that their next door neighbor is paying $900 for the same-sized place?

No other city has rent control/stabilization in the country any more, as they all realized it is a total waste, does not help anyone except a privileged few who luck their way into an apartment - and destroy the market to the point where far less housing is built/turned over since there is no economic incentive to do so. And I won't even get into how it hurts small landlords.

Why should everything else be a market system - except housing? And why are SOME people "entitled" to live in a place they could not afford without it being subsidized by the city taxpayers and their neighbors in the building? This is an awful system, and desperately needs to be eliminated.

The hatred I have for animals like sheldon silver pandering to the lucky rent-controlled constituents in their district - all while collecting lots of compensation, mind you, while working at law firms with clients appealing for business from the state, but that's a different matter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 PM

546 posts, read 1,177,141 times
I can agree that rent control is trying to solve a problem but isn't the best way to go about doing it. I think it is good what the intention was, is to ensure that people who are working class and poor can stay in their neighborhoods. Having so much gentrification is bad and it leads to kicking the original inhabitants out and the neighborhoods will lose their characters as yuppies/hipsters/transplants take over.

But I think there is another method to ensure affordable housing that is different from rent control I think. Here in this pdf I found over at Victoria Transportation Institute http://www.vtpi.org/aff_acc_hou.pdf it tells that a good way to ensure affordable housing for poor people could be to set aside land area I think where the land value cannot raise over a certain percentage per year, like 3% or 4%. That ensures the land and housing price wouldn't increase very fast, maybe faster than the rate of inflation.

Or they could do this like it says in this video, if they can somehow translate it into something that could work for renting apartments in NYC as well and you wouldn't need to cross-subsidize people to live in apartments if they are too poor to pay the rent:

YouTube - ‪Affordable Homes Forever - OPAL Community Land Trust‬‏

Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
its a big political ploy and the masses fall for this crap.

they think somehow because a small percentage of others are rewarded for living in a building for a long time with lower rent , that some how its helping them.

its not helping anyone else at all .in fact i still have not seen a new rental building put up in the 5 boroughs that isnt low income or luxury since the 1970's.

its all condo or co-op that were built .

at least if it was income based i may have 1/2 a heart for those in stabilized apartments but its not. they get below market rent just because they lived there a long time ,period.

yes there are income limits but most who exceed those limits hide it or defer it so it doesnt show up 2 years in a row.

eventually it will go away itself as apartments get de-regulated as origonal tenants die or move because most buildings went co-op to get around the bull .

Old 06-15-2011, 05:13 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Well about a million people live in rent stabilized or rent controlled apts. and a good number them will become homeless if rent stabilization is stopped.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well about a million people live in rent stabilized or rent controlled apts. and a good number them will become homeless if rent stabilization is stopped.

And of course the landlords are winning the political battle as fewer and fewer rent-controlled and stabilized apartments remain...but that won't stop them from whining enlessly that they aren't making enough profit.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:21 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
its a big political ploy and the masses fall for this crap.

they think somehow because a small percentage of others are rewarded for living in a building for a long time with lower rent , that some how its helping them.

its not helping anyone else at all .in fact i still have not seen a new rental building put up in the 5 boroughs that isnt low income or luxury since the 1970's.

its all condo or co-op that were built .

at least if it was income based i may have 1/2 a heart for those in stabilized apartments but its not. they get below market rent just because they lived there a long time ,period.

yes there are income limits but most who exceed those limits hide it or defer it so it doesnt show up 2 years in a row.

eventually it will go away itself as apartments get de-regulated as origonal tenants die or move because most buildings went co-op to get around the bull .
It's the main reason why the majority of coops in the US (if not the world) are in the NY metropolitan area. The concept (unlike condos) is almost unheard of elsewhere.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:36 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I don't know what the answer is...but we do know that we cannot simply end it outright. The best you can do it phase it our gradually over decades, because NYC has a mammoth amount of destitute residents, and they would all be homeless in an instant.

I dont like the rent control/stabilization concept, however I understand why it was initially created. However, I think we are better off without it, and gradually phasing it out is the only solution...how long that will take..hmm..maybe my kids may see it gone...but who knows.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
REALLY???? and your statistics are from where? why would you even assume they cant pay market rents? it has nothing to do with income unless you earn 175k for 2 years in a row and your rent is over 2k..... Its strictley based on the fact you lived in the apartment a while.

as the owner of rent stabilized apartments i can tell you most of my tenants earn more than i do....

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-15-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,340 times
Quote:
They won't become homeless. They'll just have to move to somewhere that they can afford or do the roomie thing like the rest of us.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
REALLY???? and your statistics are from where? why would you even assume they cant pay market rents? it has nothing to do with income unless you earn 175k for 2 years in a row and your rent is over 2k..... Its strictley based on the fact you lived in the apartment a while.

as the owner of rent stabilized apartments i can tell you most of my tenants earn more than i do....
Um, I would say their "statistics" come from the Housingnyc.com website (see blurp attached below) ... As to whether or not those people could pay market rates, I guess it would need to be looked at on an individual basis.

Why are you so angry anyway? When did you buy the building where you have rent stabilized tentants? Wasn't that disclosed when you were purchasing the building or did it come as some sort of surprise to you? If you knew at the time of purchase, why be so pissed off now? It's not like you really expected the housing laws to change overnight, did you?

"There is a difference between rent control and rent stabilization, as only about 40,000 rent controlled units exist vs. about one million stabilized units, and rent control has a different set of regulations than rent stabilization."

Last edited by cokatie; 06-15-2011 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Font change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City