Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 PM

455 posts, read 651,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This is painting with a VERY broad brush. There have been many threads on C-D about living in the Heights and in Harlem and all of them note thatt there are parts of each neighborhood that are eminently livable and safe and even, in the case of Harlem, gentrified. For sure the bad parts exist. No one with a half a brain denies that. But no one with both eyes open can deny that some parts of each are also OK.
I lived in both neighborhoods. Yes, there are some good areas but those are the issues affecting those neighborhoods from my perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Ehh varies greatly depending on what block you live. You can pick two random blocks in both Harlem or Wash Heights and come away with completely different impressions of the area...

Old 03-02-2012, 09:17 PM

186 posts, read 351,879 times
I would love to live in a beach house but I cant afford it.I stay in Inwood/Heights and pay 1,450 for a two bedroom.QUALITY OF LIFE IS NOT LOW

Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Areas like Harlem and Wash Heights have a lot of potential but the quality of life is low. This is due to the drug trade, people having low self-worth, immigrants not assimilating to the American lifestyle, ex-cons returning home, young teens and adults willingly choosing the wrong path in life, etc.

Also, some of the hard-core long-term residents of those areas like to keep it "hood" or the way that it is.. no outsiders.
:con fused:

Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 PM

75 posts, read 112,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSPUD View Post
Inwood still has pleanty Irish left with the numbers going back up again,but their is only 2 Irish pubs left the Irish bragade used to be called the whale and the Pipers kiltPatricks pub closed last year but its still a nice barNext to it their is now 4 outdoor cafes/bars that serve all types of food and mixed drinks very nice in the summer
Terrific news about the numbers of Irish going up again! I sent you a PM about that as well.

My wife works on Wall Street and I work on the Upper East Side so would our commutes be really terrible? Hearing that it takes 45 mins to get to 59th street really hurts. We live on the Upper West Side now but the rent is really high for the place so we're looking at areas with an Irish feel. We might end up going back to Woodlawn but thought I'd give Inwood a whirl.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeltNYC View Post
Terrific news about the numbers of Irish going up again! I sent you a PM about that as well.

My wife works on Wall Street and I work on the Upper East Side so would our commutes be really terrible? Hearing that it takes 45 mins to get to 59th street really hurts. We live on the Upper West Side now but the rent is really high for the place so we're looking at areas with an Irish feel. We might end up going back to Woodlawn but thought I'd give Inwood a whirl.
You should start at seaman and dyckman, 200th street .Walk up to the end of seaman 215th,then look at the side streets.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 PM

338 posts, read 677,259 times
It is NOT quick to get to the Upper East Side--you'd probably have to take the A to 125th, then the M60, then catch the 4/5/6 (or maybe you could walk between the A and the 4/5/6--they're not that far apart on 125th). Wall Street is about an hour (my roommate goes to school down around the Battery and that's what it takes her). Inwood is a sweet neighborhood, there is a lot to offer, but the endless rides on the A, along with the obnoxious panhandlers, the "iss showtime, showtime" brats and the crazies who troll the long stretch from 125th to 59th REALLY get old after awhile. But a decent number of good restaurants (Garden Cafe, Indian Road Cafe, Inwood Local, etc.) and LOTS of parkland, plus major space for your money--are a good tradeoff for many.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee1995 View Post
It is NOT quick to get to the Upper East Side--you'd probably have to take the A to 125th, then the M60, then catch the 4/5/6 (or maybe you could walk between the A and the 4/5/6--they're not that far apart on 125th). Wall Street is about an hour (my roommate goes to school down around the Battery and that's what it takes her). Inwood is a sweet neighborhood, there is a lot to offer, but the endless rides on the A, along with the obnoxious panhandlers, the "iss showtime, showtime" brats and the crazies who troll the long stretch from 125th to 59th REALLY get old after awhile. But a decent number of good restaurants (Garden Cafe, Indian Road Cafe, Inwood Local, etc.) and LOTS of parkland, plus major space for your money--are a good tradeoff for many.
Probably would be better to drive and park the car on the street at a meter or in a lot rather than deal with that subway + bus commute (and forget it if you are doing it during the weekend). Yes, I agree with the 'east of broadway' impressions but when you only have say $2000 a month for rent, you are pretty in NYC (actually in most of NYC)

Old 01-18-2013, 05:37 AM

594 posts, read 1,634,648 times
I've had Inwood in mind for a while now but I can't seem to find any places (on Cragislist anyway) that are actually up there in the tip of the island which is where we'd prefer to be if we went to that area. Most of the joints you find on cl are 150's-170's, with only a couple here and there in the 200's, and I'm not even sure that's technically Inwood so much as Washington Heights.

Anybody know any good realtors or agents that rent in the actual Inwood area?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:38 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
Most of the joints you find on cl are 150's-170's, with only a couple here and there in the 200's, and I'm not even sure that's technically Inwood so much as Washington Heights.
Inwood is everything in Manhattan north of Dyckman Street.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City