Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:04 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times

Advertisements

I agree with NYCJAP. Stay in Manhattan. You won't have time to see anything if you are spending 4 hours a day just getting there and back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjap View Post
I'm not sure what your budget is, but are you really sure staying at this hotel is the most ideal for a visit to NYC?

I used to live on SI and I used to commute into Manhattan every single day on the ferry, so I know what that entails. Where that hotel is, is at least a 30 minute drive to the ferry. With traffic, I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 45. Then you've got another 30 minutes on the ferry. That's an hour minimum each day, just going back and forth, before you've done *anything* at all.

IME -- and I lived on the north shore, and my trip to the ferry was more like 15-20 mins -- you're looking at an hour and a half from door to anyplace desirable in the city (unless you're planning on spending your days at the southern tip of Manhattan, near the SI Ferry terminal), or 3 hours out of every single day, just commuting.

Is that really how you want to spend you limited time in NYC?

I understand that hotels in midtown are pretty expensive, but at what point does that money saved start to be outweighed by the amount of time you spend not doing/seeing what you came here to see/do?

Do yourself a favor and spend a few more dollars and find a hotel more convenient to midtown. If parking is such an issue, park in Jersey and take the train in. You're not going to be driving anywhere when you're in NYC anyway.
I appreciate the post. I understand what you're saying about spending a lot of time commuting to the city. But to me even spending 1 hour to the city and 1 hour back home is really worth it just to get a chance to explore the city. For the amount of hours I plan on staying in the city 2 hours a day is only 2 hours out of about 12-14 hours that I'll be in Manhattan.

You mention the ferry ride taking up 30 mins like it's a bad thing. I'm sure from doing it so much it's kind of a drag but think about somebody who has never done it It will be something to look forward too so I can have that great view of lower Manhattan.

And it would be more than spending a *few* dollars. Right now I got a name brand hotel that I've had good experience with for just 113 a night with free parking. I really doubt I can find anything else in that price range that I would feel confident knowing I am going to stay in a respected hotel.

I've been to NYC 4 times before and each time I've spent a pretty penny in order to stay in Manhattan. To be honest I'm really tired of dealing with paying outrageous prices for parking, the horrible traffic, giving my car to a vallet who can't speak english and hope he doesn't wreck it etc. It just seems that while yea, I may spend a couple hours a day commuting I will safe a little money that I can spend on eating out and buying some stuff and also not have to deal with headaches of staying in the city.

By also staying in SI I have the opportunity of parking my car at the ferry terminal and heading over to Manhattan before check in time at a hotel. If I wait around till 3-4 pm to check in the day is almost already over but I planned on leaving VA really early so that I'm getting to NYC by lunch the first day. I park my car at the ferry and go explore Manhattan, come back at night and head to the ferry and go check in the hotel. The the next day I leave the hotel early and head to the ferry, spend about 12 hours in Manhattan and go back to the hotel for my last night. I could really even get up early and check out, head to the ferry and park my car. Explore for a few hours and head back before leaving.

So a lot of wanting to stay in SI is for the simple fact that I can use the parking at the terminal as a really cheap place to keep my car.

Last edited by Statz2k10; 07-03-2011 at 12:39 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
That's why I suggested the express bus: It is faster and generally more frequent than the ferry, so it will allow you to spend more time in Manhattan (if you're staying on a weekend, the ferry runs every 60 minutes after 7:30PM, and you don't want to have to cut your trip short because you have to catch the ferry).

By comparison, the X10 has 30 minute service until 11:45PM (around 12:15AM from Lower Manhattan), and the X17 runs until 8:30PM. Both express routes are quicker than driving to the ferry.

Weekdays, the difference isn't as extreme: The ferry runs every 30 minutes, whereas both the X10/X17 run every 15-20 minutes (until around 11:00PM)

Plus, during rush hour, the X11 and X19 have direct service to Manhattan, which will be much faster than driving all the way to St. George and taking a 30 minute boat ride.
Hm...but where are these bus stops? If there was a bus stop right outside my hotel it would be one thing but keep in mind I'm a tourist here trying to follow a bus schedule and make sure I'm at a certain place at a certain time. That could be confusing as hell. Seems like while it maybe a little faster than going through a ferry I could be getting confused on just trying to find the bus stop plus knowing when to be there. As well as find a place to park when it seems everything is more simple by just parking at the terminal and waiting for the ferry.

Last edited by Statz2k10; 07-03-2011 at 12:28 AM..

Old 07-03-2011, 08:42 AM

113 posts, read 291,744 times
Well, as I wrote, nobody forces you to park *at* the hotel. If affordable parking is such a concern, park in NJ and take public transportation into the city.

I have no idea when you are coming in August, but without really trying very hard, I did a search for the weekend of 8/19 on travelocity and found 52 hotels under $200. Now, I'm sure that you could rule half of them out as unacceptable, but that still leaves 25 hotels to choose from. You're telling me that you couldn't find a single hotel from that list that would be acceptable?

I don't know how long it's been since you were here last, but there have been quite a few moderately priced mid-tier hotels built in Manhattan in the last several years. I see them all of the time. They're not necessarily in the most ideal or visible parts of the city, but they're certainly safe and convenient.

You seem to be stuck on this notion that because your car has to stay outside of Manhattan that you have to as well. If you're that attached to your car, then NYC is not the place for you.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I don't know how long it's been since you were here last, but there have been quite a few moderately priced mid-tier hotels built in Manhattan in the last several years. I see them all of the time. They're not necessarily in the most ideal or visible parts of the city, but they're certainly safe and convenient.

You seem to be stuck on this notion that because your car has to stay outside of Manhattan that you have to as well. If you're that attached to your car, then NYC is not the place for you.

I don't really like the idea of parking far away from my hotel and having to take my luggage with me through public transportation. I know people do it it's just not something I'd want to do.

I don't really see what me having to be attached with my car has anything to do with NYC not being the place for me. I'm not moving there, just visiting

Old 07-03-2011, 11:54 AM

113 posts, read 291,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I don't really like the idea of parking far away from my hotel and having to take my luggage with me through public transportation. I know people do it it's just not something I'd want to do.

I don't really see what me having to be attached with my car has anything to do with NYC not being the place for me. I'm not moving there, just visiting
So taking 3-4 hours out of each day is a better solution? Seems to be defeating the point of visiting NYC, but hey, to each his own. Enjoy the ferry and the wonderful views in SI.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
So taking 3-4 hours out of each day is a better solution? Seems to be defeating the point of visiting NYC, but hey, to each his own. Enjoy the ferry and the wonderful views in SI.

3-4 hours? Please explain because it's been said twice now and I really don't see how you guys calculate that much time?

They say the ferry takes 20 minutes. Okay so add another 10 and make it 30 minutes.

I read where it will take 8 miles from the hotel to the terminal. Okay, bad traffic say it takes 45 minutes.

That's 1 hour and 15 minutes to NYC. That's 2.5 hours total trip each day commuting and that's if it takes me 45 minutes to get the ferry just 8 miles way. Keep in mind I won't' be coming back till after 9 on both days so unless the traffic is still bad that late at night I doubt it would take the same amount of time as it does to get there. Or maybe I'm wrong?

Also, you assume that the ferry ride is a bad thing? Well, maybe if you're done it before and think it's boring but as a tourist did you think maybe that's something I might enjoy?

Seems like you are really against the whole idea of staying outside NYC. I've seen your other posts and you seem totally against even considering the idea and assuming you can't get the NYC experience by staying outside.

Based on you saying it takes 3 hours to commute to NYC. That's basically saying that everybody who lives in Staten Island and works in Manhattan takes 3 hours a day to commute? I've talked to several people and they usually give me the 1 hour to 1.5 hour response.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:23 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
Why not look into a short term sublet....craigslist and Stephanie Diamond's listing project have them...just be careful, don't wire money (always a scam). Lots of available sublets in the summer, too....they are available in Manhattan for less than a hotel stay for sure, plus fully furnished, kitchen, etc. To save even more you could sublet a room. Or stay in Queens/Astoria or in Brooklyn for great neighborhoods and a short commute into the city.
I know it doesn't apply to OP since they're staying in a hotel for just 2 nights, BUT for anyone traveling anywhere (God, I sound like a commercial), I found a really great website (PM for it, I don't want to abuse any rules here) where you can sublet homes. I am staying in Queens and renting a 1-bedroom flat for less than $100 a night for 5 nights.

The one concern would be that if you had a car, you're relegated to street parking, but otherwise, it's hard to beat.

If you visit again in the future, I'd definitely look into it. Otherwise, you've found yourself a pretty cheap hotel.

I also think taking the ferry would be pretty cool, but I'm also a tourist. =P

Old 07-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I know it doesn't apply to OP since they're staying in a hotel for just 2 nights, BUT for anyone traveling anywhere (God, I sound like a commercial), I found a really great website (PM for it, I don't want to abuse any rules here) where you can sublet homes. I am staying in Queens and renting a 1-bedroom flat for less than $100 a night for 5 nights.

The one concern would be that if you had a car, you're relegated to street parking, but otherwise, it's hard to beat.

If you visit again in the future, I'd definitely look into it. Otherwise, you've found yourself a pretty cheap hotel.

I also think taking the ferry would be pretty cool, but I'm also a tourist. =P
What does sublet mean? You stay in somebodys house with them or what?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:28 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
How much luggage can you really have for 2 nights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City