Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:31 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
How much luggage can you really have for 2 nights?
Well I only have one luggage bag that I own. It's pretty big. I don't really want to be one of those people that roll around a huge piece of luggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 12:37 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
What does sublet mean? You stay in somebodys house with them or what?
No, either they're out of town or they plan to go out of town when someone rents their place. Although, for less money, you can rent just a room inside of an apartment, too. There are multiple options (use the check-boxes on the right side).

It's a review-based system so you know what other people's experiences were when they stayed there.

Google: Airbnb. You'll find the website.

I'll be in Queens right along the 7-Subway line. I picked it because I liked the 7-Line since it goes right to Manhattan obviously but also because I'm going to a Mets game and it goes right to Citi Field without having to transfer.

In addition, my stop is right along the Q33 Bus Line from LaGuardia so it'll be relatively simple/quick to get to/from airport.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM

113 posts, read 291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
No, either they're out of town or they plan to go out of town when someone rents their place. Although, for less money, you can rent just a room inside of an apartment, too. There are multiple options (use the check-boxes on the right side).

It's a review-based system so you know what other people's experiences were when they stayed there.

Google: Airbnb. You'll find the website.
I have a friend who does this all the time (lets out her place in SoHo when she's away). In fact, she just took advantage of another friend of ours being on vacation, and she let out her place and house-sat their apartment for the week. Everyone wins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I'll be in Queens right along the 7-Subway line. I picked it because I liked the 7-Line since it goes right to Manhattan obviously but also because I'm going to a Mets game and it goes right to Citi Field without having to transfer.

In addition, my stop is right along the Q33 Bus Line from LaGuardia so it'll be relatively simple/quick to get to/from airport.
A very well thought out plan with good reasons for their choice.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:44 PM

113 posts, read 291,770 times
Quote:
3-4 hours? Please explain because it's been said twice now and I really don't see how you guys calculate that much time?

They say the ferry takes 20 minutes. Okay so add another 10 and make it 30 minutes.

I read where it will take 8 miles from the hotel to the terminal. Okay, bad traffic say it takes 45 minutes.

That's 1 hour and 15 minutes to NYC. That's 2.5 hours total trip each day commuting and that's if it takes me 45 minutes to get the ferry just 8 miles way. Keep in mind I won't' be coming back till after 9 on both days so unless the traffic is still bad that late at night I doubt it would take the same amount of time as it does to get there. Or maybe I'm wrong?

Also, you assume that the ferry ride is a bad thing? Well, maybe if you're done it before and think it's boring but as a tourist did you think maybe that's something I might enjoy?

Seems like you are really against the whole idea of staying outside NYC. I've seen your other posts and you seem totally against even considering the idea and assuming you can't get the NYC experience by staying outside.

Based on you saying it takes 3 hours to commute to NYC. That's basically saying that everybody who lives in Staten Island and works in Manhattan takes 3 hours a day to commute? I've talked to several people and they usually give me the 1 hour to 1.5 hour response.
That's ONE WAY. I've done it.

Once you've gotten to the Manhattan side, do you think that's the end of it? After your exciting ride on the SI Ferry, you can go to the Statue of Liberty, see Ground Zero, Battery Park and Wall Street, all within walking distance from the ferry terminal, but then what?

My point is, when you start that far away from the center of town (and I'm not suggesting that you have to be at the very center, just maybe a little closer), you are spending too much of your precious time not doing anything.

Moreover, after a full day of sightseeing, the last thing I want to be doing is taking an hour and a half trip *anywhere*. I want to get to bed as quickly as possible so that I can get up early and make the best of the next day I have, wherever I am.

I understand your budgetary limitations, but it seems like this is not your biggest concern. You seem dead set against driving in Manhattan. Well, guess what? I agree with you. Unfortunately, I don't know if you can totally avoid that if you're coming to visit the city in a car. I suggested that you park your car away from Manhattan then train or bus it in, but you're opposed to that. Well, you can drive in, drop your luggage off at the hotel, then park in another park of Manhattan that's not as pricey to avoid having to pay the tolls multiple times.

Visiting NYC on a budget -- just like living here on a budget -- is a series of compromises. You seem to be saying that staying at a hotel an hour and a half away from where you're most likely to be is the best "compromise". I would disagree. TIME is your most valuable commodity, especially since it's *your time*. If that's how you want to spend yours on vacation, that's certainly your choice. I've already given my thoughts on the wisdom of that choice.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Hm...but where are these bus stops? If there was a bus stop right outside my hotel it would be one thing but keep in mind I'm a tourist here trying to follow a bus schedule and make sure I'm at a certain place at a certain time. That could be confusing as hell. Seems like while it maybe a little faster than going through a ferry I could be getting confused on just trying to find the bus stop plus knowing when to be there. As well as find a place to park when it seems everything is more simple by just parking at the terminal and waiting for the ferry.
The X11 stops down the block from the hotel, at Victory Blvd/Glen Street. I believe there is an X19/X22 stop on the same block as your hotel, but I'm not sure.

I recommend driving to St. George on the first day you plan on sightseeing, but on the way there, drive around the neighborhood you will be staying in and see where the express bus stops are. On the second day, take the express bus in.

Once in Manhattan, look at the schedules and see where the bus stops are located (if you plan to go to Midtown, you'll have to find your way back to the ferry terminal anyway)

Quote:
3-4 hours? Please explain because it's been said twice now and I really don't see how you guys calculate that much time?

They say the ferry takes 20 minutes. Okay so add another 10 and make it 30 minutes.

I read where it will take 8 miles from the hotel to the terminal. Okay, bad traffic say it takes 45 minutes.

That's 1 hour and 15 minutes to NYC. That's 2.5 hours total trip each day commuting and that's if it takes me 45 minutes to get the ferry just 8 miles way. Keep in mind I won't' be coming back till after 9 on both days so unless the traffic is still bad that late at night I doubt it would take the same amount of time as it does to get there. Or maybe I'm wrong?

Also, you assume that the ferry ride is a bad thing? Well, maybe if you're done it before and think it's boring but as a tourist did you think maybe that's something I might enjoy?

Seems like you are really against the whole idea of staying outside NYC. I've seen your other posts and you seem totally against even considering the idea and assuming you can't get the NYC experience by staying outside.

Based on you saying it takes 3 hours to commute to NYC. That's basically saying that everybody who lives in Staten Island and works in Manhattan takes 3 hours a day to commute? I've talked to several people and they usually give me the 1 hour to 1.5 hour response.
That's 1-1.5 hours one way, which is 3 hours of your day spent traveling. You have to consider that, at the other end of the ferry ride, you have to take the subway to get up to Midtown.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, since the ferry ride is very scenic, but it is something you should be aware of.

Last edited by checkmatechamp13; 07-03-2011 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City