Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 11:42 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,708,190 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of planning a visit to NYC in mid August. I've been to NYC 4 separate times before the last time being in 2007.

The difference in this year than past years is I'll be going by myself. When I tell most people that they think I'm crazy because of the stereotype that NYC is such a dangerous city. Now, I know most people who say that really have no idea what they are talking about because A, they don't even live in NYC and B, they just assume traveling alone is a bad idea. I'm going by myself because I really want to have a chance to do what I want, when I want. Previous years I miss out on a lot of things I wanted to check out because the people I was with didn't want to see it.

While I know I do have to be smart on where I go and avoid certain situations I think that I should be okay since most of my touring will be done during the morning and afternoons.

I'll likely be arriving on Saturday. Spending all day Sunday and leaving Monday afternoon.

I will be spending most of my time in Manhattan. I don't plan on going to the Bronx. If I go to Queens it will only be to Citi Field for a tour of the Mets stadium. If I go to Brooklyn I will only be crossing the bridge and checking out the downtown area right near the bridge.

Since I'll be touring mostly in Manhattan I think the majority of my touring will be done from 60th street where Central Park is down to lower Manhattan. Are there any areas around here that I should avoid?

Second, how far up Manhattan should I probably venture up? I know I do want to get lunch at the restaurant where Seinfeld was filmed (or at least check it out). I will take the subway up there but how is that area?

How far up the west? How far up the east?...Would you say I can walk around without really having to worry about my safety? I know Harlem (even though it's not as bad as it used to be) is probably not a good place to go since I'll be myself and not used to the area.

Besides Times Square are there any populated areas that has a good traffic of people at night? I would like to venture around at night but think it would be smart to stay in areas that have people around. I've gone out with a friend in the past at night and some of the streets we walked down really had nobody at all around so obviously it would not be smart to go that route by myself. But I think I'd feel comfortable as long as I see a good amount of people walking around.

Any advice on things to try that are good for people going solo? I'm not into the arts or fashion and things like that but I do like seeing interesting buildings and land mark things.

Anybody ever done a solo trip to NYC? How was it?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 12:26 AM

647 posts, read 1,525,820 times
Here's what you should do:

1. Go to Chicago or San Francisco instead.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Here's what you should do:

1. Go to Chicago or San Francisco instead.

okay and why is that? I'm asking a lot of questions but it's not different than somebody coming in here and asking what are the better areas to live around.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:24 AM

43,783 posts, read 44,554,230 times
NYC is a fine place to take a trip alone. I don't think you will have a problem in the areas that you mentioned.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 AM

80 posts, read 174,715 times
Don't worry so much about crime. NYC is like any other big city, the violent crime is mostly consolidated into high poverty residential areas you will not likely find yourself in. Not to say you should expect to find your wallet if you leave it on a counter top at a bar, but your chances of getting mugged in Midtown are slim (though there are areas of the city where the likelyhood of getting mugged is real)

Yankee Stadium and Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. Seafood at City Island or a nice Latin Restaurant in Bedford Park

Or go across town and visit the Mets at Citi Field. Sample the ethnic flavors in Jackson Heights and Astoria.

Before you head back to Manhattan have a drink in Williamsburg or walk the Brooklyn Bridge or take a jog through prospect park.

Of course Manhattan has a ton of things to see and do but i'll let the others continue from here.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:15 AM

25,395 posts, read 37,151,865 times
When I lived in Pennsylvania, no trip to Manhattan was complete without an afternoon at the MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art) and an evening at the theater.

These are things UNIQUE to Manhattan.

East Side is perfectly safe up to 96th Street but the West Side has a LOT more to do, again safe up to 96th, but not much of interest North of Lincoln Center

Old 07-10-2011, 08:58 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,205,896 times
OMG I have gone to NYC several times with other people, and about 5 times by myself over the years. I live in Massachusetts. I am a woman, and I have never, ever, had a problem traveling alone in NYC. I mean, its the city. Mostly tourists anyway. LOL

You know what I do? I have a general idea of what I want to do when I go. I have several street maps of NYC which you can get in any bookstore before you leave for your trip.Once I get to NYC ( I usually go by bus or train) I buy myself one of those all day passes where you can ride the bus or subway unlimited all day long. For you, they have passes that are good for more days since you are staying a few days.

Then, i figure out where i wanna go, and i hop the bus or subway and go. The bus is a bit easier to figure out (for me). And you can grab a copy of the bus route. If I cant figure out something by myself on the subway, I just tell whoever looks like they work there where i wanna go and they tell me what subway to take to get there. If you figure out if where you are going is uptown, downtown, midtown, etc its not that hard. If its nice out, I do some walking inbetween places I want to go.

As a matter of fact, im going to NYC by myself again in about 10 days or so, because i will be on vacation. Trust me, it is NOT a big deal. Have some idea where you want to go, or what you want to see. figure out the addresses. I mean, I think i even googled what bus to take from point A to point B and found the info online! Im so comfortable now though, that i can go there and wing it. Seriously..its no big deal. And no one is paying any attention to you at all there, which is what i like. Everybody is doing their own thing, and could care less about you. LOL You have to TRY to stick out there. Of course, you always want to keep your wits about you..but you should do that no matter WHERE you go. Nutcases are everywhere.

Im telling you, get your street maps, have some general idea of what you want to do and see..and where those things are, get yourself one of those passes to ride the bus/subway unlimited, wear comfortable shoes/clothing, your ID and money, be alert, and you will be fine.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,724,217 times
I always suggest that if someone is coming to NYC, a guide book is better than randomly asking for must-see ideas on the internet.

NYC overall is now considered one of the safest big cities in the country. Just use ordinary common sense and be aware of your surroundings. It depends on what you mean by "night." For instance 10pm is fine, but 3am would be a little dicier. To just stroll around at night, try the Village, especially the West Village. Or stroll down to Little Italy and have some late-night dessert.

I can understand your curiosity to see the Seinfeld restaurant, but if it's what I think you mean, it's just an ordinary coffee shop, and you might as well eat elsewhere and find some place known for good food, since there are so many great restaurants here. Just for interesting buildings, I think the Library at Fifth and 42nd is wonderful. And unless you're going very long distances, try a bus, instead of a subway, so you can see things.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I always suggest that if someone is coming to NYC, a guide book is better than randomly asking for must-see ideas on the internet.

NYC overall is now considered one of the safest big cities in the country. Just use ordinary common sense and be aware of your surroundings. It depends on what you mean by "night." For instance 10pm is fine, but 3am would be a little dicier. To just stroll around at night, try the Village, especially the West Village. Or stroll down to Little Italy and have some late-night dessert.

I can understand your curiosity to see the Seinfeld restaurant, but if it's what I think you mean, it's just an ordinary coffee shop, and you might as well eat elsewhere and find some place known for good food, since there are so many great restaurants here. Just for interesting buildings, I think the Library at Fifth and 42nd is wonderful. And unless you're going very long distances, try a bus, instead of a subway, so you can see things.

Thanks..I'll have to check out more to see if it's just a cofee shop althought I would think that they probably serve breakfast right?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:44 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,724,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Thanks..I'll have to check out more to see if it's just a cofee shop althought I would think that they probably serve breakfast right?
Oh, sure I imagine they serve breakfast. I just meant that they're kind of a dime a dozen, nothing very New Yorky about them. If it has to be on the Upper West side, I'd try Barney Greengrass. For something kind of fun and trendy, I take people to Noho Star. And I've read good things about the Grey Dog Cafe for breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City