Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,419,000 times

Advertisements

This is the usual story of why reform is seriously needed and way overdue:
Pension board won't yank cop disability pension despite evidence he was fit to work and failed drug test - NYPOST.com

1-This cop retired after a shoulder injury with a disability pension of $53,000.

2-He was caught doing construction work for a company, and the pension was stopped and he was ordered back to work.

3-He was disqualified from working again however due to failing the drug test (cocaine).

4-The state's highest court reluctantly ruled that the city had acted improperly because it hadn't secured a vote of the pension fund. The city's representative on the board voted to cancel the pension, and the union reps decided to maintain his pension..leading to a tie.

5-Suggested Remedy: Continue his pension or give him another job with the city!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the gravy train and brazen raping of our city continues and is encouraged...he is not even charged with fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:00 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,372,560 times
It's disgusting.

I was at the gym the other day and this cop was complaining how little he was paid and how they want to cut down on the pensions. In the middle of rant he stated that he almost had 20 years on the job and would retire soon........at the age of 44.

It's ****ing disgusting.

Government workers don't know how good they have it.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 AM

I don't think government workers at the level of cops or city workers in general have it very good in reality. They have lots of benefits, sure, and the pay for cops with overtime and perks is good, but the job itself is horrible. You deal with the dregs of society on a daily basis, the bureaucracy, dysfunction, pettiness, and backstabbing are monumental at the precincts, and there is corruption at all levels in the system.

I have no interest in the job, and the only people I ever knew who became cops, or even expressed interest in becoming cops, were the dumb/bad kids in school, who oftentimes came from cop families. The smart kids went to college and never considered becoming the "Finest." From what I can tell, that has always been the case however.

City workers in general are basically the same, and the jobs are just as bad. There is a reason why the DMV is notorious as an abyss of ignorance and dysfunction, and it's not because they retain the best and brightest, but the barely coherent and brainless.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 AM

5,001 posts, read 8,237,782 times
I agree that there are scammers and some tweaks that may be needed to made in who gets to collect disability. And this guy gives a bad name to the thousands and thousands of honest cops.

That said, there are dishonest people and employees in all walks of life. Not just the "evil public unions". It doesn't surprise me one iota that the link you gave was from the Post's shoddy looking webite. Funny how these corporate multi millionaires who got ridiculous bonuses that WE paid them recently, or the continuation of the "gravy train (as sobroguy loves to say)" that the tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of welfare leaches don't seem to bother you guys.

You can also make the argument that not all facets of government need to be unionized. I'll concede to that. However with jobs that can be dangerous and where you may not come home any given day, they are necessary.

I take it you guys are both military with active duty under your belt since you know what it's like to put your lives on the line?

Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think government workers at the level of cops or city workers in general have it very good in reality. They have lots of benefits, sure, and the pay for cops with overtime and perks is good, but the job itself is horrible. You deal with the dregs of society on a daily basis, the bureaucracy, dysfunction, pettiness, and backstabbing are monumental at the precincts, and there is corruption at all levels in the system.

I have no interest in the job, and the only people I ever knew who became cops, or even expressed interest in becoming cops, were the dumb/bad kids in school, who oftentimes came from cop families. The smart kids went to college and never considered becoming the "Finest." From what I can tell, that has always been the case however.

City workers in general are basically the same, and the jobs are just as bad. There is a reason why the DMV is notorious as an abyss of ignorance and dysfunction, and it's not because they retain the best and brightest, but the barely coherent and brainless.
They have it very good. Believe me.

A lot of people dislike their jobs. However, they don't have virtually 100% job security, mandatory wage hikes, great health benefits, great pension, and great vacation/sick day packages.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 AM

Available why even comment on the look of the website? Talk about deflection. There is no doubt corporations are guilty as sin and are raping our system...but this is yet another deflection. Hey my neighbor was stealing...so I am stealing too! And therein lies the problem...where there was a time when Unions held companies accountable and provided better standards for employees, they are now just another pig at the trough..that's not accountability.

Yes corporations are raping the system, so it's ok for you too? And unless you are active duty you cannot call unions or cops out on the rampant abuses? Really? Usual deflections...a "real" American would never question a cop, right?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I agree that there are scammers and some tweaks that may be needed to made in who gets to collect disability. And this guy gives a bad name to the thousands and thousands of honest cops.

That said, there are dishonest people and employees in all walks of life. Not just the "evil public unions". It doesn't surprise me one iota that the link you gave was from the Post's shoddy looking webite. Funny how these corporate multi millionaires who got ridiculous bonuses that WE paid them recently, or the continuation of the "gravy train (as sobroguy loves to say)" that the tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of welfare leaches don't seem to bother you guys.

You can also make the argument that not all facets of government need to be unionized. I'll concede to that. However with jobs that can be dangerous and where you may not come home any given day, they are necessary.

I take it you guys are both military with active duty under your belt since you know what it's like to put your life on the line?

lol

I love this bull**** argument put forth by cops and their union. It's a lie.

If it is true then please explain to me how cops don't even crack the top 10 in most dangerous professions.
Please. I really would like to know.

The truth is being a cop is not any more dangerous than a number of other jobs.

top 20 most dangerous jobs per 100k workers:

Fisherman
Loggers
Farmer/rancher
Commercial/ Structural Construction
Sanitation
Commercial Pilot
Roofer
Coal Miner
Merchant Marine
Miller
Power line Installer
Police
Firefighter
Oil and Gas
Cement
Taxi and Limo
truck driver
Construction equipment
Animal Slaughter
Security Guard

So please, cut the bull**** with the most dangerous job.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Available why even comment on the look of the website? Talk about deflection. There is no doubt corporations are guilty as sin and are raping our system...but this is yet another deflection. Hey my neighbor was stealing...so I am stealing too! And therein lies the problem...where there was a time when Unions held companies accountable and provided better standards for employees, they are now just another pig at the trough..that's not accountability.

Yes corporations are raping the system, so it's ok for you too? And unless you are active duty you cannot call unions or cops out on the rampant abuses? Really? Usual deflections...a "real" American would never question a cop, right?

My comment on the Post's shoddy website was a comment on their overall shoddy, biased reporting. However this was obviously over your head. It's ok bro, don't sweat it.

None of this was deflection. It is a general way of looking at things. There will always be abuses in every facet of government, agencies, the private sector, and life in general. Always. Nothing is ever going to be perfect. If you think that, than I have a bridge to sell you. You consistently pick out this one area and whine about it. Why that is, I'm not sure. It's possible a sanitation worker banged your girl at some point in life. I dunno. I'll never know the truth on that one.

Unless you are/were active duty, you can **** on what it's like to lay your life on the line. That is what I am saying to you. Because you have no idea. You're a fuggin soldier from behind you little computer there and it comes off as very silly when you examine it for two seconds.

Quote:
a "real" American would never question a cop, right?
You're a fool...

Old 07-12-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
lol

I love this bull**** argument put forth by cops and their union. It's a lie.

If it is true then please explain to me how cops don't even crack the top 10 in most dangerous professions.
Please. I really would like to know.

The truth is being a cop is not any more dangerous than a number of other jobs.

top 20 most dangerous jobs per 100k workers:

Fisherman
Loggers
Farmer/rancher
Commercial/ Structural Construction
Sanitation
Commercial Pilot
Roofer
Coal Miner
Merchant Marine
Miller
Power line Installer
Police
Firefighter
Oil and Gas
Cement
Taxi and Limo
truck driver
Construction equipment
Animal Slaughter
Security Guard

So please, cut the bull**** with the most dangerous job.

Hey. @sshole. Did I say "the most dangerous job"? No. I didn't. And all of those trades deserve to have a union. And by the way, cops and firefighters are different from the others in the sense that they are from time to time, ya know, saving people's lives. The others do it solely for the paycheck. Which there is nothing wrong with.

So I dunno, try again I guess...

Old 07-12-2011, 09:10 AM

I agree there are always abuses in every profession, but the bigger issues is this: When the abuses are uncovered, are they corrected or encouraged? And what did the Union vote for? KEEP HIS PENSION. And what was the other remedy for this fraud who failed the drug test? GET HIM ANOTHER CITY JOB. Really?

And therein lies the problem...it is not an issue of abuses in every company/business/entity, it's the DEFENSE of these abuses by those who just want to keep the gravy train going and milk the system as much as they can, regardless of the city, residents, or taxpayers. Unions will fight tooth and nail to maintain the status quo knowing full well it is wrong. And this is a system you allege we should keep and foster?

They simply encourage this behavior: Defraud the city and claim a false disability, get another job, and if you get caught, don't worry, the Union will be sure you keep your pension or get another city job. WOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: