Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Close your freakin windows and stay inside.
He/She shouldn't have to.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
I've asked these two couples to stop smoking for extended periods of time on their balcony as the smoke enters my entire living room but no avail. I have asked very nicely and I do not like getting into petty arguments however I will not stand for second hand smoke due to someone else's inconsiderate attitude.

I am thinking of buying an industrial fan to blow the air back into them on my balcony as a solution as my landlord understands the problem however he states there is nothing he can do as he does not own the attached private house next door.

Any other suggestions before I take this route to solve my issues? These people literally smoke on the balcony for about 2 hours filling my entire living room with smoke. It's not like a quick 5 minute break, but sitting out there for hours talking and chain smoking.
Do you live in Astoria Queens and your a transplant and your nieghbors Greek Americans. Oh my big fat Greek Smoking neighbors.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
couldnt you just put something on your balcony that would be annoying to them, maybe a radio with static, or something really smelly, the possibilityes are endless.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
What does them being Greek have to do with anything?

Old 07-06-2011, 01:45 PM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Do you live in Astoria Queens and your a transplant and your nieghbors Greek Americans. Oh my big fat Greek Smoking neighbors.
Bayside, Queens. Born and raised in NYC.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,865 times
I have these inconsiderate Luxembourger neighbors tap-dancing on the shared rooftop.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Close your freakin windows and stay inside.
The audacity to tell another man what to do in his own home is a direct challenge. You do comprehend that, don't you? Ultimate disrespect.

In other words, I'm to go home and sheepishly tell my woman, that a better man than me says you have to just deal in the home I provide?

HaaaaHaaaaHaaaaHaaaaaaaa....

Prepare to defend yourself.

Last guy to say something like that to me, was several months ago.

I stepped to the F_er and clocked him! Right in the middle of McDonalds.

Guy must of been stuu-pid!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:02 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
I've asked these two couples to stop smoking for extended periods of time on their balcony as the smoke enters my entire living room but no avail. I have asked very nicely and I do not like getting into petty arguments however I will not stand for second hand smoke due to someone else's inconsiderate attitude.

I am thinking of buying an industrial fan to blow the air back into them on my balcony as a solution as my landlord understands the problem however he states there is nothing he can do as he does not own the attached private house next door.

Any other suggestions before I take this route to solve my issues? These people literally smoke on the balcony for about 2 hours filling my entire living room with smoke. It's not like a quick 5 minute break, but sitting out there for hours talking and chain smoking.

First off was there a need to tell us these smokers are GREEK? Second you share a balcony and it is not illegal to smoke on a balcony. Maybe you do things you are not aware of like fart loud and smelly ones that they are dealing with. When you SHARE with someone and the person is not doing anything illegal you have to deal. ....You calim you do not like getting into petty arguments.... well practice what you preach and stop sounding petty. These people have a rite to enjoy their shared balcony and if they want to smoke and if Bloomberg says its okay to smoke on a balcony then you are going to have to DEAL WITH IT or MOVE!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:40 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
First off was there a need to tell us these smokers are GREEK? Second you share a balcony and it is not illegal to smoke on a balcony. Maybe you do things you are not aware of like fart loud and smelly ones that they are dealing with. When you SHARE with someone and the person is not doing anything illegal you have to deal. ....You calim you do not like getting into petty arguments.... well practice what you preach and stop sounding petty. These people have a rite to enjoy their shared balcony and if they want to smoke and if Bloomberg says its okay to smoke on a balcony then you are going to have to DEAL WITH IT or MOVE!
I think the reason he mentioned the fact that they're Greek is to show that there's a cultural obstacle as well that should be considered in possible resolutions. It's not a huge deal, but a point worth considering.

Last edited by Febtober; 07-06-2011 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 05:29 PM

589 posts, read 1,221,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
What kind of argument is that? To bring up an instance such as farting(Which I will do in an area that my neighbors would not smell it mind you) as something comparable to smoke?

Here are my points since you are obviously simple-minded
1- I was here first, they are the new neighbors
2- Im sure body odors do not clog up your lungs and increase your risk of cancer
3- I do not fart for hours at a time while speaking loudly
4- I do not fart and chat on my balcony for hours.
5- A petty argument would be to argue about farting, something you obviously cannot comprehend
6- Bloomberg does not rule NYC, what he says and what is legal are two completely different things

I am by no means a small figured guy who just takes people **** but I do have the intelligence to reason before taking any action. Do the same and maybe next time I'll respond to you as if you had a brain.

Anyways back to the discussion. At this point I have spoken to my landlord and hes in the process of speaking to their landlord. If nothing is resolved I will confront them one more time in person and let them know exactly how I will react if I smell smoke in my living room again as there is no legal means to prevent them from smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City