Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:20 PM

52 posts, read 113,332 times

Advertisements

Why did you go to the questionable neighborhoods first??? I am curious. Did you consider Norwood or even Riverdale. I live in Riverdale and it is very diverse and wonderfully clean.. There is Throggs Neck, which is great too. I really don't want you to feel horrible about your New York visit, but try some of the above suggested areas and some of the others everyone has wrote about... I hope it turns out well for you...

Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 PM

52 posts, read 113,332 times
Wink I agree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
The whole South Bronx still has that grimy look. I went to Inwood during the day and felt safe where were you?
Some parts of Inwood is very nice... By the Cloisters and towards the Bridge and the Hospital.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:04 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,291,823 times
Sorry omgitsdiv, but nice and affordable will be virtually impossible to find in NYC if you're talking about renting your own apt. However if you're willing to live with a few roommates...then you can def swing it on your income.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 AM

7 posts, read 23,235 times
Some of you must have misread my post, but I stated I was looking for areas(cheap) that were close to Manhattan. The bronx, I did not like that area at all, I feel sorry for the other member that is moving there. I hope you find a nice, livable, clean area.

I was not aware that these areas were ugly until I went there. I was attracted to these areas due to the low rents that I have found online and even had met up with real estate agents and people who were trying to rent out their apartments to me, but I could not live in those areas. It is mainly the people that made the area the way it is, I am assuming. Since these areas rents were relavtively cheap and I wanted to live close to Manhattan I said why not go check them out. I was in for a rude surprise, but I am sure there is decent apartment complexes in those areas, I would just not live there or even visit again for that matter. I think that is how they get newbies to the city, they attract them with low rents in horrible neighborhoods. Because as it seems, all of the cheaper housing is in the bad areas.

About Inwood and Washington Height, I didn't like those areas because they were mostly mexican/latino people there most probably here illegally., i definitely stood out. In fact the areas where I looked at in the bronx were heavily mexican as well. A lot of people were speaking spanish and I felt that I would not and did not belong there. The stares and comments that I had gotten from the men there were creepy and offensive. Not trying to say that all of the Bronx is this way but this is what I have seen with my own eyes. I do not feel comfortable being a female, going through northern manhattan and the bordering bronx areas both day and night.

Most of Queens was nice, did not have a bad experience there. I drove mostly everywhere so I did not take public transportation. I could definitely see myself living somewhere in Queens I am sure Staten Island is nice too, but I did not have the time to visit there. All in all, I would love to live in Manhattan because that is where all the excitement and best restaurants are. But I would not mind living in Queens.

About roommates, I have never considered even living with one. It is probably the norm here to live with a roommate. I have seen that most of them do not like pets(weird)? And I am bringing pets with me on my relocation. Speaking of pets, having a park to walk my dog in is very important. If I live in NYC there would be no backyard so my dog cannot roam around freely in, like I have here. Most of the parks in the areas I went to were dirty and full of trash. Lot's of men my age or younger just standing there for hours on end, smoking in front of young children, they also lurk on street corners and in those small convenience stores or whatever you call them up there. Not trying to be offensive but you live in one of the best cities in the world get out the house/neighborhood and do SOMETHING!. Geez..

Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,518,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsdiv View Post
About Inwood and Washington Height, I didn't like those areas because they were mostly mexican/latino people there most probably here illegally., i definitely stood out. In fact the areas where I looked at in the bronx were heavily mexican as well. A lot of people were speaking spanish and I felt that I would not and did not belong there.
You might not be aware of this, but speaking Spanish neither makes you Mexican nor here illegally

Old 08-07-2011, 07:40 AM

7 posts, read 23,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
You might not be aware of this, but speaking Spanish neither makes you Mexican nor here illegally
Well where I live this is the case. I apologize.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:38 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,360,636 times
<sigh>

Another schmo earning 40k that wants it all.

No matter how hard you try, could you fit a square peg in a round hole?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:04 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,518,683 times
You're just not going to get your own apartment in a nice area in or near Manhattan on $45k. You might be able to settle for two of those requirements, but that's pushing it.

I make a good deal more than $45k and I have my own apartment, but it's in a part of Harlem where I have to break out my college Spanish if I want to go to any of local shops and you'd probably consider it trashy.

Either stay put in South Carolina, or be ready to make some big concessions to move up here.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,090,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsdiv View Post
Some of you must have misread my post, but I stated I was looking for areas(cheap) that were close to Manhattan. The bronx, I did not like that area at all, I feel sorry for the other member that is moving there. I hope you find a nice, livable, clean area.

I was not aware that these areas were ugly until I went there. I was attracted to these areas due to the low rents that I have found online and even had met up with real estate agents and people who were trying to rent out their apartments to me, but I could not live in those areas. It is mainly the people that made the area the way it is, I am assuming. Since these areas rents were relavtively cheap and I wanted to live close to Manhattan I said why not go check them out. I was in for a rude surprise, but I am sure there is decent apartment complexes in those areas, I would just not live there or even visit again for that matter. I think that is how they get newbies to the city, they attract them with low rents in horrible neighborhoods. Because as it seems, all of the cheaper housing is in the bad areas.

About Inwood and Washington Height, I didn't like those areas because they were mostly mexican/latino people there most probably here illegally., i definitely stood out. In fact the areas where I looked at in the bronx were heavily mexican as well. A lot of people were speaking spanish and I felt that I would not and did not belong there. The stares and comments that I had gotten from the men there were creepy and offensive. Not trying to say that all of the Bronx is this way but this is what I have seen with my own eyes. I do not feel comfortable being a female, going through northern manhattan and the bordering bronx areas both day and night.

Most of Queens was nice, did not have a bad experience there. I drove mostly everywhere so I did not take public transportation. I could definitely see myself living somewhere in Queens I am sure Staten Island is nice too, but I did not have the time to visit there. All in all, I would love to live in Manhattan because that is where all the excitement and best restaurants are. But I would not mind living in Queens.

About roommates, I have never considered even living with one. It is probably the norm here to live with a roommate. I have seen that most of them do not like pets(weird)? And I am bringing pets with me on my relocation. Speaking of pets, having a park to walk my dog in is very important. If I live in NYC there would be no backyard so my dog cannot roam around freely in, like I have here. Most of the parks in the areas I went to were dirty and full of trash. Lot's of men my age or younger just standing there for hours on end, smoking in front of young children, they also lurk on street corners and in those small convenience stores or whatever you call them up there. Not trying to be offensive but you live in one of the best cities in the world get out the house/neighborhood and do SOMETHING!. Geez..
This makes it even clearer that you would be incapable of adjusting to living in NYC,especially with such a meager income.So why would you even consider moving to a place that you can't afford and has so many things that would irritate you on a daily basis ?

I'd forget about NYC if I were you.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:28 AM

395 posts, read 1,215,123 times
I agree with the above poster. You will not make it here. Did you think everything was going to be like Times Square? And how dare are you say that all the Mexicans must be illegal. That is such an ignorant statement.

As every other poster has stated, cheap and close to the city does not exist for a reason. To many people want to live there and drive the rents upward. On your tiny 45K a year, you can't afford anything nice by your standards. And don't feel sorry because someone is moving to the Bronx. Some people are not are not area queens like you appear to be and maybe the area is better for this person's needs.

Don't move to Staten Island. You can not afford the nicer areas and I can already hear you complaining about the Spanish and Latino population that lives in the areas you can afford to be in. Plus, since you drive, there is the $13 toll to deal with.

Do you like Queens because it feels like a suburb? That is really the only place I can see you living. But Queens is DIRTY. My birth mom works in Astoria near Steinway and there is trash everywhere. And, there is just as much diversity there as there is in the Bronx. To bad on 45K you can't really afford your own apartment in Astoria anymore. It has become transplant city. I would say Woodside, my friend (a girl) has a studio in a private house with private backyard for $750 a month. But oops, the owner speaks Spanish and the rest of her housemates are Asians. Not sure that would work for you based of your post.

And lastly, we like our city. So please don't come on our forum telling us to change it. If you don't like it, don't move here. How would you like it if someone was moving to your small town and started ripping it apart. It's not a nice feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City