Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:28 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I just felt my chair bouncing up and down ... colleagues ran out of their offices and everybody felt it.

I am in midtown Manhattan. Where are you?

I am in Downtown Pittsburgh(BNY Mellon) and we were on a conference call with our NY office (1 Wall St.) and both cities said at the same time "The building is shaking"!!!!!!!! Amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 12:29 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,582,502 times
On the 20th floor of my office in Manhattan. They actually evacuated our building down the stairs. That was a weird sensation. Like our whole office was swaying. I thought I was feeling dehydrated or dizzy or something until other people starting shouting. Crazy how far up and down the coast it was felt!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
I am in Downtown Pittsburgh(BNY Mellon) and we were on a conference call with our NY office (1 Wall St.) and both cities said at the same time "The building is shaking"!!!!!!!! Amazing!
Wow! As west as Pittsburgh too!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
31st and 7th. We are in a non evacuation emergency situation and everyone is in an interior room.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,846 times
Has anyone heard about MTA service. My co-worker just arrived and said trains had stopped or were being delayed. I hope not because I'm heading home in 15 minutes.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:33 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Tsunamis go away from the epicenter. The danger, if any, would be in Bermuda, not the US. Japan was his because the earthquake happened off shore.

Oh I know, but it's still a concern, at least to me anyways.

Doesn't take much for one to happen if the plates overlap on the ocean floors, but at this point everything must be o'k since there aren't any reports.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,207,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Uh oh, are they checking the ocean?

Could a Tsunami happen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Tsunamis go away from the epicenter. The danger, if any, would be in Bermuda, not the US. Japan was his because the earthquake happened off shore.

Felt it here in Plymouth, Mass. too. I'm right on the ocean and never even thought about tsunami!

Thanks for the info about them going AWAY from the epicenter.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:42 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
No matter how big or small, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be on a subway when one happened. Especially an elevated one.
Basically, you wouldn't want to be almost anywhere in NYC. The ONLY buildings which would survive a strong quake w/b relatively new tall buildings of with steel stucture designed to sway with the wind.

Everything else would collaspe.

Have any of you worked or spent time at the World Trade Center before the collaspe? I have. At the high floors you could feel the building sway with the wind, it was designed to do that.

The quake felt like that, except my building, relatively young, brick and mortar, felt a LOT less secure. A 'real' earthquake and I'd be sitting on the bowl on the sidewalk with half the buildig on top of me!

Pretty scary thought. Freaky....

Old 08-23-2011, 12:42 PM

900 posts, read 2,373,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Wow! As west as Pittsburgh too!

Try Detroit, and as far south as Georgia.

Any having problems with their cell service, they said some where having problems getting a clear line. Hopefully that was only momentary.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
The shaking felt to me like one of those cheap motel beds, except it wasn't that violent, as the only reference I can think of. Cool! My first earthquake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City