Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:09 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Thanks for straightening me out, LI...it was a long time ago.

Was there ANY big glitzy restaurant on Broad Channel back some 20 years ago?
(I KNEW I shouldda kept a journal!)
Not that I know of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM

40 posts, read 93,859 times
Hey all, how did Broad Channel hold up in Hurricane Irene?

Just finished reading some NY Daily News Articles. (online) It seems that people got houses full of water but thankfully not as bad as anticipated.

Also read about the tolls in the archives.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I used to spend a lot of time in Belle Harbor. The people there looked down on Broad Channel. Any mention of the place caused frowns, derisive laughter, and comparisons to hillbillys living in a bayou. Some drunk from Howard Beach of all places told me there was some Klan activity there.
Belle Harbor is the first neighborhood that comes to my mind if anyone was looking for a place in the city that is most similar to Broad Channel. I always though the residents from the 2 areas got along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR101587 View Post
Hey all, how did Broad Channel hold up in Hurricane Irene?

Just finished reading some NY Daily News Articles. (online) It seems that people got houses full of water but thankfully not as bad as anticipated.

Also read about the tolls in the archives.
Hurricane Irene hits Queens - YouTube

Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I used to spend a lot of time in Belle Harbor. The people there looked down on Broad Channel. Any mention of the place caused frowns, derisive laughter, and comparisons to hillbillys living in a bayou. Some drunk from Howard Beach of all places told me there was some Klan activity there.

I drove through it dozens of times, but never stopped to explore. Always wanted to check out the Grassy Point Bar & Grill. Is it still there?

I reckon it is about the most unlikely neighborhood one would expect to find in New York City. I have told lots of people about it over the years, but nobody can really visualize it. Mrs Moth looked at me like I was making it up until it was featured on Law & Order CSI.

The film Mystic River reminded me of Broad Channel.

All true. Did you tell Mrs. Moth about the houses on stilts? There was plenty of Klan activity in various parts of Rockaway, including Belle Harbor, as well. Broad Channel is really small. You can walk the island There has never ever been a glitzy restaurant in Broad Channel. It's more knows for Irish bars.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Ohh please. The Klan hate Irish Catholics more than blacks. These NYC klan stories are urban legend.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM

Not urban legend and not necessarily Catholic. There were arrests made in the 70s. I remember it well. We knew some of the officers involved.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:27 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
I also remember being told to stay out of Alley pond park during the 80s due to klan activity. After all these years and meeting thousands of people I have yet to actually meet someone that was part of or even seen a NYC clan member. If there was klan in queens village they must have been derilict in their klanish ways as all the white devils soon left queens village.

my conclusion is that this is an old wives tale brought up from the south. Sort of like the stories about the chupracabra brought up from latin americans. Klan in broad channel is hard to believe and does not fit the ethnic profile of the neighborhood. More likely to find a chupracabra lurking in those swamps surronding broad channel.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
I also remember being told to stay out of Alley pond park during the 80s due to klan activity. After all these years and meeting thousands of people I have yet to actually meet someone that was part of or even seen a NYC clan member. If there was klan in queens village they must have been derilict in their klanish ways as all the white devils soon left queens village.

my conclusion is that this is an old wives tale brought up from the south. Sort of like the stories about the chupracabra brought up from latin americans. Klan in broad channel is hard to believe and does not fit the ethnic profile of the neighborhood. More likely to find a chupracabra lurking in those swamps surronding broad channel.
I don't have any personal information about Klan activity in Broad Channel, but I do about Rockaway. You can find old articles in the archives in The Wave. By the time, the stuff was in news articles, it was hardly a shocker. We all knew the who, what, and where for quite a while (40 years ago). The KKK was also quite active in the Five Towns and Rockaway during the early part of the 20th century. We kind of have a fragmented Rockaway Historical Society right now, but one of these days, we'll get our act together and become more centralized.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Belle Harbor is the first neighborhood that comes to my mind if anyone was looking for a place in the city that is most similar to Broad Channel. I always though the residents from the 2 areas got along?

Well, if my memory serves me, they would both concur with regards to non-whites. Other than that, it would become a "Shanty vs. Lace Curtain" thing. Belle Harbor ranges from working class to upper middle while BC struck me as straight hardhat blue collar.

Hey, I am just saying what I heard many times. Both places were fascinating to a lad from DC. One place pretending to be Redondo Beach. One place pretending to be Acadiana. Both in New York City limits.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post

Have you actually been to these places?

Belle Harbor is a lot more upscale with a lot more expensive real estate when compared to Broad Channel, which is working class, even ramshackle, with some very cheap tiny bungelows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City