Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Have you actually been to these places?

Belle Harbor is a lot more upscale with a lot more expensive real estate when compared to Broad Channel, which is working class, even ramshackle, with some very cheap tiny bungelows.
Many times, and I though both areas were mostly the same, population wise. Both neighborhoods are very Irish/White, and filled with Cops & Firefighters.

Although Belle Harbor is definitely much nicer, and more expensive. Especially Neponsit. I would love to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Many times, and I though both areas were mostly the same, population wise. Both neighborhoods are very Irish/White, and filled with Cops & Firefighters.

Although Belle Harbor is definitely much nicer, and more expensive. Especially Neponsit. I would love to live there.
Sorry, totally incorrect. Belle Harbor has been historically Jewish, some Irish, and a sprinkling of Italians. It is less Jewish now, but they are still a sizable presence. Belle Harbor has always been more upscale than Broad Channel by far and has more professionals living there (including my eye doctor). Neponsit is more upscale than Belle Harbor. Broad Channel has always been predominantly Irish and yes, many firefighters and cops live there. It has been this way since before World War II. You may be thinking of Rockaway Park instead of Belle Harbor, which used to be predominantly Irish. Homes in Belle Harbor and Neponsit are still expensive.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:16 PM

337 posts, read 968,861 times
Neighborhoods like Broad Channel are a dying breed. You won't find any Whole Food stores out there.

And yes, racism goes both ways. I saw a few black and latino kids punch and slap two white guys at 125th st subway station in Harlem.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
I saw a few black and latino kids punch and slap two white guys at 125th st subway station in Harlem.

I most definitely wish I had NOT read that. I think that postpones my walk,

Old 09-04-2011, 01:04 PM

40 posts, read 93,820 times
I can't believe we can't go one or two postings with out reverting to racism. I think everyone likes to get their two cents in. If a black or spanish kid hit me I'd break there arms. I don't know why they were even walking around there they were just looking for trouble. People should step up a little more. Just grab their arm, turn around, put their arm(humorous) over your shoulder (their palm up, elbow not on your shoulder),and snap it. Thats what they get for assaulting you. Hopefully they can never use the arm again. Good riddance.

Anyway what was the defining line between Belle Barbor and Neponsit. I used to go to Trulia.com alot but they grouped it as one, starting at Beach 116 and going west, and ending at Riis Park? I think. Rockaway Park and Hammels were east..but I think theres Rockaway park, then Rockway beach, and Hammels was just NYCHAC ?

Old 09-04-2011, 02:22 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Maybe this will help. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I don't think this is an official boundary, but the locals usually consider Belle Harbor to start around B.122nd street or so and end at around 140th street. Then Neponsit starts at around 140th (or according to the above website 142nd street) and ends near Fort Tilden. There is no separate community on the peninsula called Rockaway Beach. There is a Rockaway Park, Hammels, Edgemere, etc. Don't forget about the cooperative community of Roxbury too.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 05:22 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 04:23 PM

Perfect post. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:13 AM

67 posts, read 244,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Maybe this will help. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
I don't think this is an official boundary, but the locals usually consider Belle Harbor to start around B.122nd street or so and end at around 140th street. Then Neponsit starts at around 140th (or according to the above website 142nd street) and ends near Fort Tilden. There is no separate community on the peninsula called Rockaway Beach. There is a Rockaway Park, Hammels, Edgemere, etc. Don't forget about the cooperative community of Roxbury too.

I'd have to disagree with the notion that there is no "Rockaway Beach" neighborhood. No one refers to Hammels as an actual neighborhood (as far as I'm aware), thats only used to refer to the actual NYCHA thats north of the boulevard. The Wave even lists Rockaway Beach as one of the neighborhoods it serves.
The Wave Neighborhoods (http://www.rockawave.com/common/Neighborhoods/index.html - broken link) The postal office also accepts 'Rockaway Beach' (and Broad Channel) for 11693 zip code as a city name yet not Hammels. Perhaps it was used historically (along with Holland) but I've never heard it used presently.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 05:22 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 12:53 PM

Interesting. Indeed I too believed in Rockaway Beach, and only became aware of the Hammels distinction due to real estate website exposure, which interestingly enough seemed to have other errors anyway. Cool. Right when I got off the Cross Bay Bridge, there was alot of parking and something called Connollys or something what is that, a restaurant?

Last edited by SMR101587; 09-05-2011 at 01:01 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 01:08 PM

67 posts, read 244,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR101587 View Post
Interesting. Indeed I too believed in Rockaway Beach, and only became aware of the Hammels distinction due to real estate website exposure, which interestingly enough seemed to have other errors anyway. Cool. Right when I got off the Cross Bay Bridge, there was alot of parking and something called Connollys or something what is that, a restaurant?
Its a summer bar. They usually close sometime in September (I think) and reopen in May I believe. Though I think you can rent out the space for parties as well. Their mudslides are quite good. Ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City