Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of ashamed that I didn't know of this earlier.

Act Two. Is That a Tape Recorder in Your Pocket, or Are You Just Unhappy to See Me? | Right to Remain Silent | This American Life

414:
RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT
Originally aired 09.10.2010
Stories about people who have the right to remain silent... but choose not to exercise that right—including police officer Adrian Schoolcraft, who secretly recorded his supervisors telling officers to manipulate crime statistics and make illegal arrests. The Village Voice series that broke Schoolcraft's story, written by Graham Rayman, is here. Schoolcraft's website looking for other cops to come forward is here.

The NYPD Tapes: Inside Bed-Stuy's 81st Precinct - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice

If they do this to their own, how do people think they'd treat others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 07:13 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
And then there was the cop who forgot he was wearing a working wire and reported finding 28 bags of cocaine...but turned in only 17.

Mandatory mantra: BUT CROOKED COPS ARE IN THE MINORITY...yeah right.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Default Abuse of power.

There are many great police officers who are true to the badge and the service to others. Unfortunately, this is a position of power. And some individuals in many walks of life and careers with authority let it go to their head, and abuse it. Either for personal gain, or to take out frustrations on others. Or worse, for amusement. And it casts a shadow over the entire department, And destroys a lot of trust.

With power comes responsibility.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
This is off topic, but if we complain about NYPD it's nothing compared to the atrocities of the Baltimore PD.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
There are many great police officers who are true to the badge and the service to others. Unfortunately, this is a position of power. And some individuals in many walks of life and careers with authority let it go to their head, and abuse it. Either for personal gain, or to take out frustrations on others. Or worse, for amusement. And it casts a shadow over the entire department, And destroys a lot of trust.

With power comes responsibility.
I definitely agree with that... This is the case with any job. One of the things that always bothered me about the NYPD was how things shifted so dramatically in the early 2000s and on. It seemed like the focus of what being a police officer was all about in terms of protecting its citizens and making the hard decisions even if it brought backlash began to change. And my family were good friends with a number of P.O's that left the force around that time because they didn't like where it seemed to be heading.

Nowadays, it seems like the focus is not on protecting but rather keeping an image intact through falsifying reports, appeasing the masses by not providing nowhere near factual data and on top of that the same old stories that we have heard for years now which is what we are discussing in this thread with cops not upholding the standard they expect the citizens to have... We all know this isn't a majority thing but rather the minority but it still affects the reputation a great deal knowing that there more than a good few police officers that are still doing things that we had originally thought were a thing of the past...

Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
The truth is I'm afraid the police might set me up of Heroin and the judge puts me away for life. You never know whats gunna happen on them mean streets of South Bronx.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I definitely agree with that... This is the case with any job. One of the things that always bothered me about the NYPD was how things shifted so dramatically in the early 2000s and on. It seemed like the focus of what being a police officer was all about in terms of protecting its citizens and making the hard decisions even if it brought backlash began to change. And my family were good friends with a number of P.O's that left the force around that time because they didn't like where it seemed to be heading.

Nowadays, it seems like the focus is not on protecting but rather keeping an image intact through falsifying reports, appeasing the masses by not providing nowhere near factual data and on top of that the same old stories that we have heard for years now which is what we are discussing in this thread with cops not upholding the standard they expect the citizens to have... We all know this isn't a majority thing but rather the minority but it still affects the reputation a great deal knowing that there more than a good few police officers that are still doing things that we had originally thought were a thing of the past...
Agreed. I was stopped twice this year, 2 Saturdays in a row. Interestingly, They only asked to see my arms to view any tattoos I have. I have none! They were polite, I was not even frisked and they mentioned I fit a description. I was waiting for the bus both nights a week apart. I was nervous though but just cooperated. I was wearing a sports coat and dressed up as well. Wonder why a suspect would get dressed up to commit a crime though.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:50 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,054 times
Read this thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 PM

125 posts, read 229,125 times
I heard this podcast. Fascinating and crazy story.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
that always bothered me about the NYPD was how things shifted so dramatically in the early 2000s and on.

I think that dramatic shift might have been the result of the omnipresent videorecorder. Now things aren't a matter of his word against mine. Since Rodney King we KNOW what the police are up to.
Do a couple big sting operations and half the force would be gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City