Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 PM

142 posts, read 516,660 times

Advertisements

My relatives have been scouting the area for a potential house purchase within the next 12 months. According to their friends living in the neighborhood, they are advised to look below the Allerton line and to Morris Park near PP South.

What is so bad about the area above Allerton? Is it because there are lot of housing projects?

They are looking for 2 family in the area with 500K max budget. According to zillow, there are more and cheaper houses for sale above Allerton than below it.

This may have to do with the perception that above Allerton is bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 12:38 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraider View Post
My relatives have been scouting the area for a potential house purchase within the next 12 months. According to their friends living in the neighborhood, they are advised to look below the Allerton line and to Morris Park near PP South.

What is so bad about the area above Allerton? Is it because there are lot of housing projects?

They are looking for 2 family in the area with 500K max budget. According to zillow, there are more and cheaper houses for sale above Allerton than below it.

This may have to do with the perception that above Allerton is bad?

The title of your thread is misleading because there is no part of Pelham Parkway(the neighborhood) that is above Allerton.The northern boundary of Pelham Parkway is really Waring Avenue ,which is itself a few blocks South of Allerton. The boundaries of Pelham Parkway are roughly Waring(North),Bronxdale Ave and Rhinelander Ave(South),Stillwell Ave/Hutchinson River Parkway(East) and Bronx Park(West).

The North vs.South of Allerton difference is not just a perception. If you are at all familiar with the northeastern Bronx you wouldn't have to wonder.The difference between North of Allerton(Wakefield, Williamsbridge, Edenwald) and South of Allerton (Pelham Parkway/Morris Park/Pelham Gardens) is like night and day.And it gets worse the further north of Allerton you go.There are a few decent pockets between Allerton and Burke and then it gets worse and worse as you move up towards Mount Vernon which is even worse than the part of the Bronx immediately to it's South.

The projects have a lot to do with it....there are a lot of them....Parkside,Gun Hill,Edenwald,Boston Secour,etc and they are all bad.South of Allerton there is only 1 Project (Pelham Parkway Houses) and it is one of the best housing projects in The Bronx if not the city.

North of Allerton is a pretty ghetto and crime ridden area while South of Allerton is pretty middle to upper middle class ,very diverse and pretty low crime.

I recently rode under the White Plains Road el(2 train) the whole way from Pelham Parkway up to 241 St (NYC/Mt Vernon border) and the differences are startling when you go North of Allerton and particularly North of Gun Hill Road.It's not just like going into a different neighborhood up there,it's like going into another country....a 3rd world country.The houses are cheaper for a reason and it's not just because it's further from midtown.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-05-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 07:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I remember how starke the difference was between one side of Allerton Ave and the other in the 90s. One side was black, the other was white....it was very strange and disconcerting. That line has blurred a bit as blacks are now on the other side of Allerton, but they haven't gotten much farther than maybe 1 block in at most.

The area south of Allerton is quite nice, and still quite white, although middle class Hispanic families have moved in. Blacks are still non-existent however.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Thanks guys. I know you two would comment

I believe we use "10469" as the zipcode when using zillow, trulia, etc. This covers a huge part of the area where Allerton is the middle line going east west.
For Morris Park, we use 10461.

The information about the area above Allerton is worrisome to say the least. We drove around the area during day time and just a block or two above Allerton, we saw people hanging out on the stoops, watching cars go by. There are people who are approaching cars that drive by slowly. Not sure if they are dealing drugs or whatnot.

The separation between good and bad neighborhood is just a block or two and this is something we worry. Will this buffer zone increase north/south of Allerton in a few years? It's hard to know but it's one of the things potential buyers need to take into account.

Any idea on the Haffen park? Is this a good park for kids and family?
Haffen Park : New York City Department of Parks & Recreation

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I remember how starke the difference was between one side of Allerton Ave and the other in the 90s. One side was black, the other was white.....
Yup.
I remember the mid to late 8os when Allerton had a gang of white guys called N.B.O:
Ni**er
Beaters
Only

....and the other crew of thugs was MPC
Morris
Park
Crew

Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,221 times
I would also add that there's also a big difference between North/South of Allerton and East/West of White Plains road. There's more problems with crime and gangs, plus it's less greener with more tenement buildings west of white plains road. Where as east of white plains road is very quiet, mainly two-three family homes, and a lot more greener.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:00 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:

The separation between good and bad neighborhood is just a block or two and this is something we worry..............
This is a widespread and age old fact of NYC life.The line between good and bad neighborhoods or good and bad blocks is often startlingly thin.It's not just in The Bronx,it's citywide.

When I lived on the UWS( on 103rd St) years ago the East of Broadway/West of Broadway difference was more startling than the North of Allerton/South of Allerton is today.People who lived West of Broadway, on West End Ave or Riverside Dr or on the side streets literally would not walk on the East side of Broadway but did all their shopping on the West Side.The only time West of Broadway people crossed Broadway was to go in or out of the uptown subway platform.Forget about Amsterdam and Columbus. You frequently hear of the East of Broadway v West of Broadway phenomenon today in Washington Heights and Inwood.96th st has always been and continues to be to some extent the same kind of demarcation line on the UES.

If it makes you feel any better,I have a co worker who grew up on Mace just 1 block South of Allerton in the 1980's and she says the whole area is better now than it was then..... but there are no guarantees as to how lines might shift in the future.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:33 AM

Come to think of it, I have friends living in the area for years and I have been to their places numerous times, and now just realize they all live below the Allerton line (Woodhull, Mace, Tenbroeck, etc).

They live there for a reason

How are the area in Pelham Garden and Morris Park (around Jacobi) compared to the Parkway north area? In term of convenience, transportation, safety, housing stock, shopping?

And anyone knows anything about the Haffen park?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Come to think of it, I have friends living in the area for years and I have been to their places numerous times, and now just realize they all live below the Allerton line (Woodhull, Mace, Tenbroeck, etc).

They live there for a reason

How are the area in Pelham Garden and Morris Park (around Jacobi) compared to the Parkway north area? In term of convenience, transportation, safety, housing stock, shopping?

And anyone knows anything about the Haffen park?
Around Haffen Park is bad too. The area surrounding the park is called the Valley by NE Bronxites. Lot of gang activity in that area.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2011, 06:35 PM

It's a shame. The park looks nice with outdoor pool, tennis courts. I was looking forward to using it but I guess I'll avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City