Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 9,080 times

Advertisements

I live in NC and many people are moving up here from all around the usa. The variety of those moving here are the "riches". The developers are building million dollar homes, knocking the middle class,and the poor out of a home to live in. I was born and raised here. I dont really want to move but its getting too expensive. I have considered moving but looks like the same thing is happening all over. I like NY. I have been looking at homes affordable but the crime rate seems to be really high... You can find crime anywhere though. If you have any suggestions on neighborhoods that are okay in NY,it would be greatly appreciated.thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 AM

186 posts, read 1,118,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletattoo View Post
I live in NC and many people are moving up here from all around the usa. The variety of those moving here are the "riches". The developers are building million dollar homes, knocking the middle class,and the poor out of a home to live in. I was born and raised here. I dont really want to move but its getting too expensive. I have considered moving but looks like the same thing is happening all over. I like NY. I have been looking at homes affordable but the crime rate seems to be really high... You can find crime anywhere though. If you have any suggestions on neighborhoods that are okay in NY,it would be greatly appreciated.thanx
best suggestion for you would be Maspeth Queens, VERY cheap, the downside isnt crime though, its the transportation, the subways are far apart if thats ok

Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 AM

186 posts, read 1,118,797 times
research the neighborhood on Welcome to About.com and theyll tell you real estate prices too, theyll give you a range of rents for studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom, coop, etc.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:46 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
best suggestion for you would be Maspeth Queens, VERY cheap, the downside isnt crime though, its the transportation, the subways are far apart if thats ok
Very cheap?

I have YET to identify ANY neighborhood that is "very cheap". Maspeth included.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:41 AM

3 posts, read 9,080 times
Queens is in NYC...If the terriost decide to attack I prefer not to be close to the city as much as possible. I looked at Maspeth,Queens and didnt find a place to live that caught my eye.I was looking for a house: 3-4 bedroom,1/1bath. The price of the houses were out my range...For 600,000 I could live in the suburbs of NY.Thanx

Old 08-20-2007, 01:58 PM

191 posts, read 900,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletattoo View Post
Most people that i know that went to NC are basically middle/upper middle class people looking to get out of NYC/NJ. Your money simply goes much further out there than it ever will here. Many large companies are headed out to NC, TN, and the like for the huge tax breaks.

you wont find an "affordable" house in the 5 boros, if you think the "richies" are buying out NC. In nyc, in an OK neighborhood a single family 20x80 house is going for over 600k. In a NICE nighborhood, you're looking at over a mil.
ps a house in nyc is TINY compared to the 2-4000sq/ft monsters you can get out in NC for 300k. TN is even cheaper.

Jersey is alot better for buying a house, but you're going to get raped with taxes. Right now the taxing in NJ is out of control. But unfortunately nyc doest give many options. for "affordable" housing, you need to go to NJ, Upstate

The true middle class has been in exodus mode from NY for years. Even the upper middle class is getting zoned out. In those little tiny 20x100 plots of land, they are tearing down single family homes and putting up 3,4,5,6 story CONDOS. guess what one of the new 1 bedroom condos goes for. 400k. no parking. no pool. no doorman. no gym.

This is of course for PURCHASING a home, if you want to rent, its a slightly better, but not by much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City