Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 AM

8 posts, read 46,271 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My gf has the possibility of getting a job in Manhattan, and they want her to name her salary. They "suggested" 30k (she is entry-level, new college grad) but were unsure how much she would really need to live. The job also would want her close to work (Tribeca), so I'm not sure if we could get by moving to Queens or something!

I would be moving too, but would have to find a job when I get there (food & beverage, temp office work until I begin graduate school in January and have loans to assist).
Would 30k be enough? We would split an apartment, and I have found some in the $1,250 range...but everything else in the city is expensive--however, we cook everything and do not go out much! BTW, her dad suggested she say 38-40k.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 AM
REM

368 posts, read 994,861 times
Tho, I don't live in new york, I would say ask for more. 30k is a lot starting out here in the midwest, but cost of living is much more out there so it's generally expected to make a little more.
Then again I don't live NY, but am i right?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:26 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
You should make 40x the rent. So if you want a $1,250/month apartment, you should be making $50k salary. The landlord will require this.

Also, commuting from Queens to Tribeca is something many people do. I wouldn't cross Queens off your list. It may be all you can afford.

What is her field? Does she have other job offers? Where do you live now?

With graduate school / loan payback ahead of you, please try not to get yourself into even more debt.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 AM

129 posts, read 373,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattandchelsea View Post
Hi,

My gf has the possibility of getting a job in Manhattan, and they want her to name her salary. They "suggested" 30k (she is entry-level, new college grad) but were unsure how much she would really need to live. The job also would want her close to work (Tribeca), so I'm not sure if we could get by moving to Queens or something!

I would be moving too, but would have to find a job when I get there (food & beverage, temp office work until I begin graduate school in January and have loans to assist).
Would 30k be enough? We would split an apartment, and I have found some in the $1,250 range...but everything else in the city is expensive--however, we cook everything and do not go out much! BTW, her dad suggested she say 38-40k.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Forget about Manhattan.

30K is roughly $1500 per month take home I'm assuming?

To put into context - I know someone who lives in a less diserable neighborhood than tribeca, has 3 roommates, and his portion of the rent is $1400.

Look outside of manhattan

Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 AM

71 posts, read 229,248 times
It is not feasible to live in Manhattan on $30,000 year. The average one bedroom apartment rents for about (about!) $2,300 from what I have seen, and right from the mouth of a friend who is currently looking to move. I pay $2450 for a one bedroom in Midtown East.
Yes, living in the city is fun and convenient, but even if you found a place for half of that, you would not have any money to experience living in the city. Look in Queens - the further out you go, the less you will spend in rent.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 PM

8 posts, read 46,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
You should make 40x the rent. So if you want a $1,250/month apartment, you should be making $50k salary. The landlord will require this.

Also, commuting from Queens to Tribeca is something many people do. I wouldn't cross Queens off your list. It may be all you can afford.

What is her field? Does she have other job offers? Where do you live now?

With graduate school / loan payback ahead of you, please try not to get yourself into even more debt.
It would be an assistant position, and her field is economics/business. No other job offers yet. We weren't looking at Manhattan for the stereotypical reasons, but instead because we get the impression she will need to be near enough to 'assist' the boss--think about that realistic film about a devil wearing Prada. So Queens is not a bad commute? What about Brooklyn? We also have a fairly large dog.
As for debt, we only have one emergency CC that is cancelled if not paid off monthly. I'm also hoping to qualify for instate tuition at a CUNY, given that I'm 25 and not dependent.
Thanks for the answers!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:18 PM

197 posts, read 530,037 times
I would ask at least $45K, which is a bit high for new college grad, but it takes that much more to live in NYC. That said, I doubt she would get that unless she has had experience in internships for that particular position. No one expects her to live close to work, especially being paid that kind of salary.

Find out how long it takes you to qualify for instate tuition at CUNY. It is not that easy, they want to see that you have paid taxes in New York for a couple of years before they consider you a NY resident.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:42 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattandchelsea View Post
It would be an assistant position, and her field is economics/business. No other job offers yet. We weren't looking at Manhattan for the stereotypical reasons, but instead because we get the impression she will need to be near enough to 'assist' the boss--think about that realistic film about a devil wearing Prada. So Queens is not a bad commute? What about Brooklyn? We also have a fairly large dog.
As for debt, we only have one emergency CC that is cancelled if not paid off monthly. I'm also hoping to qualify for instate tuition at a CUNY, given that I'm 25 and not dependent.
Thanks for the answers!
I understand your dilemma about your girlfriend needing to be "on the spot" for her demanding job, but at 30K or so you'll be nowhere near Tribeca. On that salary in order to be close to her work you'll probably have to consider a communal lifestyle and have roommates.

In Manhattan most buildings strictly require 40X plus good credit. Some even go beyond 40X. In areas of Brooklyn or Queens you may find some managed buildings will give you a bit of a break on one of the requirements if the other is solid.

Of course, all this is moot if your close proximity to her work can not be compromised. If you find the right location in BK or Queens you may be able to utilize express trains cutting down on your commute time.

Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:57 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
No way for the Manhattan apartment. You can try Queens or Brooklyn. Since she works near Tribeca, Brooklyn is closer to her work place. You can probably find a place in Bay Ridge or Bensonhurst that has an express train to lower Manhattan. The last thing you want to do is spend all your money on rent just for the Manhattan high life.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:17 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
You can also look at Jersey City and Hoboken. She can commute via the PATH train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City