Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:09 AM

25 posts, read 44,946 times

Advertisements

It's a great way to sight-see. Questions are: Is it allowed? Is it recommended? Is it easy? Is it dangerous? Are bicycles easy to obtain legally?

Info, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 12:32 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4infothxalot View Post
Are bicycles easy to obtain legally?

They're like a step below heroin, so be careful.

Good luck!!

Old 09-18-2011, 08:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
It IS allowed,
It is recommended with reservations.
It is not easy.
It is VERY dangerous.

You can buy a bike at K-Mart or Target for $70 bucks. Easy to buy a LOT harder to store.

Yes, it is a GREAT way to sight-see if you are a seasoned rider.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:12 AM
s06

105 posts, read 256,493 times
If you feel worried about the possibility of being hit by a car while riding in the streets of Manhattan, there are bike tours that go through Central Park or the Brooklyn Bridge, or you can rent a bike and ride on your own on the Hudson Greenway. Here's more information.

Manhattan Bike Rental- Bike Rental in New York

New York City Bicycle Reservations | Bike and Roll

Last edited by s06; 09-18-2011 at 09:35 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 09:12 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
The Hudson Geenway is one of the jewels in the New York City crown.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
As long as you're pedaling around, remember that the oldest dedicated bike path in the United States happens to be located in Brooklyn, along Ocean Parkway (it opened in 1895). Five and a half miles, direct to the Boardwalk--where you won't be hassled if you bike there after Labor Day. Hmm, according to the calendar...

Old 09-19-2011, 08:04 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times
I have a bike and use it frequently, as do many friends of mine. Please wear a helmet. Please don't go into traffic, and please respect traffic laws. There are bike lanes but that doesn't mean they are clear of hazards. I like to use the Westside Highway path as a good north to south and vice versa route rather than being in the streets with traffic, depending on where I am going. I have also gone from one borough through others on the bike without an issue. Just be cautious - for cars, pedestrians, other bikes, etc.

Google Maps also helps you map out routes. The directions include an option for bicycle directions.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:12 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,695,142 times
I went up last month and I took my bike with me. Had a great time. I went up the bike path along the Hudson. Very beautiful. I ended up riding all the way up to where you can see the Dykman exit sign. I would have gone further but had no idea where/when it would end.

I came back down and went over the walk way around 181st. Went all the way down until I hit Central Park then took the east side all the way down to lower Manhattan. I took the ferry back to SI.

That was one of the most enjoyable times I've had on a vacation and I've been on a lot of vacations. I hope to ride my bike again.

The next day I ended up going out at night and riding around. I felt pretty safe and there are a lot of side streets that are one way so you don't have to worry about as much traffic.

The main streets that have bike paths will very depending on safety. Some are not blocked off by cars while some will put you right by the regular traffic which would mean you'd want to be more careful.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s06 View Post
If you feel worried about the possibility of being hit by a car while riding in the streets of Manhattan, there are bike tours that go through Central Park or the Brooklyn Bridge, or you can rent a bike and ride on your own on the Hudson Greenway. Here's more information.

Manhattan Bike Rental- Bike Rental in New York

New York City Bicycle Reservations | Bike and Roll
Thanks for the info and links
This sounds doable.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:35 PM

I was hoping for some info on bike paths. Are most of themin Manhattan undependable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City