Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:51 PM

14 posts, read 13,909 times

Advertisements

I've seen at least a hundred of these from all over. Things like:
  • ...you say "can I get" instead of "may I have."
  • ...you ride in the same subway car as 30 people from 30 different cultural backgrounds.
  • ...you know that Staten Island, although a borough of New York City, isn't really part of the city at all.

Post away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 09:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
If your constantly coughing up phlem.

When you call a pizza a slice.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:30 PM

166 posts, read 443,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny NYY View Post

you say "can I get" instead of "may I have."

hmmm...I say "lemmie get"...as in "lemmie get a slice"

Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
I use to see those on myspace all the time back when that site was big.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:59 PM

393 posts, read 891,536 times
I would never call myself a New Yorker, I'm a proud Wisconsinite who's in New York for awhile.

But, while living here, one of the big things I've noticed is that, here more than anywhere else, no one pays attention to any of the weird things people do, say, and wear on the streets or in the subway. There's also a lot more neighborhood pride here than in any other city I've been to.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-18-2011 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: If a word is fileted, please do not try to circumvent the filter. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:38 AM

14 posts, read 13,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddock_laker View Post
I would never call myself a New Yorker, I'm a proud Wisconsinite who's in New York for awhile.

But, while living here, one of the big things I've noticed is that, here more than anywhere else, no one pays attention to any of the weird things people do, say, and wear on the streets or in the subway. There's also a lot more neighborhood pride here than in any other city I've been to.
Like the Naked Cowboy didn't tip anybody off to that...

Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny NYY View Post
  • ...you know that Staten Island, although a borough of New York City, isn't really part of the city at all.
Completely disagree. Staten Island is as relevant to this city as any other borough, and yes I am biased on that because I have a lot of friends there.

1. You aren't afraid of living in the other boroughs and aren't caught up in the drama of living in the city.
2. You call Manhattan 'the city'.
3. You get impatient when people stop in the middle of the sidewalk to do something and huff really loudly and they look at you like you did something wrong.
4. You avoid Times Square like the plague - which is almost true. Every time my friend Michelle and I chill, we always seem to end up near there by my favorite dinner.
5. It's called a bodega, and its open 24/7.
6. It's called Duane Reade - and you get mad when it is not open 24/7.
7. When the train comes, you know exactly where to stand so that the doors will open right at the exit/stairs.
8. You buy your coffee from a cart, which is much better than that crap Starbucks makes (just my opinion - I also prefer DD over Starbucks for coffee).
9. You get annoyed when you let an old person take your seat on the train and then they get off at the next stop - and then someone else takes your seat.
10. You let a small, simple question of "where is the subway" escalate into an all out cursing match - this happened to me more than I like to count.
11. **** the people that get on an escalator and take up both sides/don't walk up or down when you are in a hurry.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:59 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
5. It's called a bodega, and its open 24/7.
Gotta disagree on this one. Everyone I know says, 'the Spanish store'!

I think "bodega" came into vogue with the first wave of gentrified yuppies in the 80s/90s, before that it was always the Spanish store, and Spanish stores were always in the hood, but then the hood was gentrified and the Spanish store became a Bodega. Maybe in the Spanish hoods they were always Bodegas.

Quote:
11. **** the people that get on an escalator and take up both sides/don't walk up or down when you are in a hurry.
I hate the people who are so impatient they can't wait til the escalator gets to the top. Duh! The reason the stairs are moving, is so you don't have to!

So, stop bothering me, will ya. In a hurry? Take a taxi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
4. You avoid Times Square like the plague - which is almost true. Every time my friend Michelle and I chill, we always seem to end up near there by my favorite dinner.
Junior's? Or Stardust?

Btw, your best friend is Michelle? I knew you were a girl!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:05 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
You know you're a NYer, when Transplants and Roaches become synonumous, and all you want to do is stomp on them at first site!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
You know that you are a new yorker when you only go to queens to use the airport!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City