Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 02:31 PM

156 posts, read 327,176 times

Advertisements

The best is when u go out of town during snow... They send u to the bronx and all the street signs have snow on it... lol... Or they put u with 1 of their guys and they say stick with him.... Then u try to follow him plowing... he is going 50mphs and u r running red lights not to lose him.... And he doesnt know that you can take your 15min break and just keeps on going.... Many fun times .

Old 11-26-2011, 04:32 PM

7 posts, read 14,830 times
Great Job ! The best actually ! And yes we did all hit the lottery. Congrats...

But... Not to be Scrooge here, it is totally different then what they say its gonna be like for the most part the guys are happy at the garage but like anything else there are a few Bad Seeds. They are forced to go nights when they arent used to it anymore. out of town and especially doing collections with a NEW GUY they wanna get done early so my advice is just show up early "which is the hardest part" and just do your 30 days and get comfy working nights.. atleast for our probation time. Take a pen to work with you every day and take notes cause in 5 years when u start doing days and collections if you are lucky it will help you then. Happy Holidays and God Bless the classes of 2011 !

Old 11-26-2011, 10:32 PM

243 posts, read 681,881 times
Good luck trying to go nights at some garages... @ my garage even with 8 guys beat its gonna be imposssible to hold nights.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:46 PM

71 posts, read 116,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad397 View Post
Good luck trying to go nights at some garages... @ my garage even with 8 guys beat its gonna be imposssible to hold nights.
If they have you on day's, do you stand a better chance of making the truck?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,392,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will It Happen View Post

probably not...thats why those with seniority took nights...they couldn't make the truck either. I have friends in a few garages that say it happens often. A group of guys can't make the truck so they take nights for the differential. It's just gonna suck, accept it lol. I have. It's gonna suck and whatever you hate most...you'll do. But that's all jobs...at least with this one you know that every day is one step closer to it not sucking when you get seniority. other jobs always suck forever lol

Old 11-27-2011, 05:32 AM

269 posts, read 496,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad397 View Post
My garage is like that. I like days though. I didn't sign nights. So I am holding down 6-2 more often than not. I get sent out of town a lot. I got over 10 guys beat so I am usually goin out of town with those guys. It keeps me off the basket truck. I make half trucks here and there. And I make full truck at my district about once a week. Not complaint with 3 months on the job. But my situation is definitely not the norm.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:18 PM

233 posts, read 535,091 times
Quote:

don't chase the truck at this point in the career. jump on a tissue asap! bounced for a few years and took the first tissue that got to me. been on it for the past 4 years and will be staying on it until further notice. u will never have to look at the board. the 30 year man gets forced midnights and you remain untouched. its a good feeling!

Old 11-27-2011, 03:34 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,392,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
don't chase the truck at this point in the career. jump on a tissue asap! bounced for a few years and took the first tissue that got to me. been on it for the past 4 years and will be staying on it until further notice. u will never have to look at the board. the 30 year man gets forced midnights and you remain untouched. its a good feeling!

This was what I was thinking but I was under the impression there was always a crappy tissue to force the new guy onto if he wanted....now I see you waited years. Argh lol. I'm almost done with my masters degree and since I started it...I wanna finish it. But I can't without a steady schedule. One day...

Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 PM

243 posts, read 681,881 times
Quote:
Senior guys ate making recycling truck on nights during night plow.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
This thread has been closed, as the forum gets technical issues with threads over 1,000 posts. A new thread has been started in its place.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-6063-etc.html

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City