Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 08:56 AM

337 posts, read 512,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicysanlady View Post
the last number called was 1549
are you serious i only missed it by less than a hand full!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:06 AM

103 posts, read 207,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneBronx View Post
are you serious i only missed it by less than a hand full!!!
that stinks. Hang in there and get that cdl now if you can. At least you'll know that you've done everything you can to improve your odds.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulSanMan View Post
that stinks. Hang in there and get that cdl now if you can. At least you'll know that you've done everything you can to improve your odds.
You are right!! I just wanted them to get to my number so that I can finally find out about my Medical Status.
I'm still going to get my CDL license now. $65 per class for 1 hour class....... It's not the same as going to FBF but I got to do what I have to do in order to improve my chances of getting in!
Thanks again Everyone!!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 11:24 AM

***Just an FYI *** BLACK FRIDAY DICK'S SPORTING GOODS HAS $25 OFF ANY BOOT PURCHASE

Old 11-10-2011, 12:39 PM

71 posts, read 116,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round robin View Post
That just means they send you to work at a different garage for the day. Either they tell you the day before on the board, or at the garage during your shift. Like you go to your district for a 6 am shift (or any shift, just an example) and they don't need you there, so they transport you to another garage where they need you. And lets say you work in Brooklyn, and they tell you the day before you're working in Manhattan, you get 4 hours "in the books". The more hours you build up, you can use to take off work and still get paid. Obviously, 8 hours is one day. It doesn't have to be a different borough either to get the hours, it just depends on where you go. If you work in q6, you wont get hours for walking across the street to work in q2 for the day.
thanks Robin. for a minute i was thinking that one would literally be working out of town (as in leaving NY). was wondering where that would be. looks like i better make arrangements to buy a car now rather than later. i would hate to bounce around from to garage to garage using public trans.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:48 PM

86 posts, read 145,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will It Happen View Post
thanks Robin. for a minute i was thinking that one would literally be working out of town (as in leaving NY). was wondering where that would be. looks like i better make arrangements to buy a car now rather than later. i would hate to bounce around from to garage to garage using public trans.
You're welcome. Yeah, it may be diffucult traveling around without a car. Usually though, you being a junior guy in your garage, you wont really go too far out of town because the senior guys will go first to get the hours. Or, you'll most likely be going to work and then they'll decide where you're going out of town and a supervisor or someone will drive you and if anyone else is going too, to the garage. Then when you're done, they'll take you back to your garage.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleneBronx View Post
You are right!! I just wanted them to get to my number so that I can finally find out about my Medical Status.
I'm still going to get my CDL license now. $65 per class for 1 hour class....... It's not the same as going to FBF but I got to do what I have to do in order to improve my chances of getting in!
Thanks again Everyone!!!!
the FBF route is cool, but a bit intense. you have one week to cram everything. its very doable of course. they have a high success rate. i got my CDL with them. also, youre not laying any money out upfront for the training. you pay it back when youre hired. the one downside to doing it at FBF, is that if you fail the road test, your name gets taken off the list. then you cant be re-instated unless you take the road test again and pass. thats quite a bit of added stress. doing it with a driving school, will eliminate that headache should you fail, plus it may be cheaper overall. FBF would cost $900. you may save a couple of hundred doing it on your own. just something to think about.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by round robin View Post
You're welcome. Yeah, it may be diffucult traveling around without a car. Usually though, you being a junior guy in your garage, you wont really go too far out of town because the senior guys will go first to get the hours. Or, you'll most likely be going to work and then they'll decide where you're going out of town and a supervisor or someone will drive you and if anyone else is going too, to the garage. Then when you're done, they'll take you back to your garage.
oh cool... that doesnt sound too bad. but i better get a car anyway lol. i cant wait to start. im excited.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM

8 posts, read 11,188 times
Any rumors on when there might be another call? im hearing spring but who knows for sure??? so frustrating when you fall short by a hand full of people

Old 11-10-2011, 05:47 PM

876 posts, read 2,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fab23nysan View Post
Any rumors on when there might be another call? im hearing spring but who knows for sure??? so frustrating when you fall short by a hand full of people

There is no way they are hiring in the spring. If they do hire it will be around the sametime they did this year. Also from what I know there isnt going to be any class in 2012. Sorry for all those waiting but better you know the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City