Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,171 times

Advertisements

Manhattan and Yonkers are very different...don't know the area but prices and space might be more reasonable. I'd guess others on this forum (or maybe NY State forum?) might know more.

It's a little confusing because it seemed like at first you wanted Manhattan, but as I say Yonkers is quite a different animal. Again, check out the NY Times online. They also have neighborhood profiles of many areas, and stats.

But I tend to agree with Hilary...cockiness from someone who doesn't know the area may not get you very far here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 PM

46 posts, read 229,419 times
It's very expensive to live here.
Mine and my boyfriend's combined income is barely getting us by.
Things that you don't include in your expenses certainly add up.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:35 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,647 times
mpope409 - Food for thought here:

You'd probably be MUCH better off renting in NJ right across the Hudson River from NYC than try to do this in NYC and boroughs. Plenty of NYC public transportation to the city from these points in Southeastern Bergen County or Eastern Hudson County. You can also have a car easier in most of these areas.

The people that have responded here are so right about the ultra expensive competitive rental market and overall cost of living in NYC and Boroughs. Do you know that to rent in NYC and boroughs you have to show proof that you earn 45 - 50 times in salary per month to what the monthly rent price is as well as having a FICO score well into the 700's?

NJ is not cheap, but for your situation it's a "better overall fit" in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Old 08-22-2007, 06:37 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilary086 View Post
How old are you?
I feel like I'm in second grade right now.

Maybe instead of being so hostile against someone who lives here and is telling you their opinion about the information you provided, you should give all information (since I had no clue you had outside income since your thread was based around 50k a year).
I wasn't being hostile, but comments like "Is this a serious question" or "You're not thinking logically" are pretty much your way of saying that I'm in over my head.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,573,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Manhattan and Yonkers are very different...don't know the area but prices and space might be more reasonable. I'd guess others on this forum (or maybe NY State forum?) might know more.

It's a little confusing because it seemed like at first you wanted Manhattan, but as I say Yonkers is quite a different animal. Again, check out the NY Times online. They also have neighborhood profiles of many areas, and stats.

But I tend to agree with Hilary...cockiness from someone who doesn't know the area may not get you very far here.
I'm not dead set on Manhattan, I just want to see if there are any options there for me. That's where the job is, so it would be convenient that I was there as well.

And I'm not cocky at all, it's just that you all are telling me things about this place that I already know. I've been here countless numbers of times, family here, family that has tried to rent in Manhattan. I appreciate the advice, but in Houston, I already lived in an apartment that everyone said I couldn't afford, but I did it.

Again, I'm not set on Manhattan, and I probably won't even end up there. Still, I'm interested in hearing about what types of places I can find in each area. Hilary086, if you didn't mind, I was still interested in hearing about your building.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 AM

46 posts, read 229,419 times
It's the Whitehall building across from Battery Park.
Studios starting at $2, 195
Studio Home/Office starting at $2,595
One Bedroom starting at $2,795
One Bedroom /Home Office starting at $3,595
Two Bedroom starting at $4,195
Penthouse Two Bedroom Duplex starting at $4,695
Three Bedroom starting at $6,295

For more information:
Contact the Leasing Office at: (212) 742 - 0201 x10

Houston is a lot different than NYC. You don't realize that everything costs a lot of money no matter how many times you visit. Have fun paying over 100$/month for laundry alone.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:18 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,538 times
Default some comparisons

From CNN Money cost-of-living caculator

Salary in Houston TX:
$50,000
Comparable salary in New York (Manhattan) NY:
$115,769.49

If you move from Houston TX to New York (Manhattan) NY...

Groceries will cost: 74.276% more
Housing will cost: 426.166% more
Utilities will cost: 35.365% more
Transportation will cost: 18.011% more
Healthcare will cost: 28.675% more

Salary in Houston TX:
$50,000
Comparable salary in New York (Queens) NY:
$81,695.33

If you move from Houston TX to New York (Queens) NY...

Groceries will cost: 51.28% more
Housing will cost: 182.89% more
Utilities will cost: 18.457% more
Transportation will cost: 11.2% more
Healthcare will cost: 13.678% more

Salary in Houston TX:
$50,000
Comparable salary in Nassau County NY:
$83,253.29

If you move from Houston TX to Nassau County NY...

Groceries will cost: 48.708% more
Housing will cost: 200.082% more
Utilities will cost: 19.144% more
Transportation will cost: 11.309% more
Healthcare will cost: 14.729% more

Old 08-22-2007, 07:56 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,242 times
Unless your parents or some other rich relative is going to pay your way, there is no chance you will be able to afford to live in a nice neighborhood in Manhattan on 50k. You couldn't even do it with 1 or 2 roommates.

Living on your own even in Southern Brooklyn is not going to be easy to pull off on $50k a year. You will have to make sure you stick to a budget.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 15,960 times
Just cause you mentioned other sources of income, i thought I'd mention that if you're not making 45 times the rent, you will have to have rock solid credit and an instate guarantor making at least 100 times the rent. And forget about anything stabilized (ie. the best deals). It is illegal for the landlord to accept additional security for those, so savings and investments (or whatever your situation is) will do you no good. Just assume the landlord is going to be very skeptical person with other options (ie. interested renters). Hope that helps.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,171 times
Mike in TN, thanks for the stats...very interesting indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City