Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga View Post
Get your head out of the clouds. This is New York City. God forbid somebody's child gets in your way. Next time, why don't you enforce that MTA yourself? Be a vigilante! Do us a great public service by telling those corrupt, filthy and annoying PARENTS to get the eff off the PUBLIC transportation and take up YOUR space elsewhere! YEA!

Just warning ya that if someone smacks you for being an inconsiderate and self-entitlement a-hole, that'll probably be me.
And I'll be next in line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 12:20 PM

559 posts, read 1,111,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga View Post
Get your head out of the clouds. This is New York City. God forbid somebody's child gets in your way. Next time, why don't you enforce that MTA yourself? Be a vigilante! Do us a great public service by telling those corrupt, filthy and annoying PARENTS to get the eff off the PUBLIC transportation and take up YOUR space elsewhere! YEA!

Just warning ya that if someone smacks you for being an inconsiderate and self-entitlement a-hole, that'll probably be me.
Well, obviously, at the Galleria Mall in Dubuque, Iowa, there would be no problems with strollers, right? It's precisely because this is NY that being considerate of others is so important. And my point is: those people who bring strollers into the subway cars are uncivil, inconsiderate, and selfish. It's not about being parents per se, but about how they behave as a parent (another example: uncivilized children in restaurants).

Following your reasoning if a stroller steps on the foot of someone, should the victim have the right to smack the self-entitled parent?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:33 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,267,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post
Well, obviously, at the Galleria Mall in Dubuque, Iowa, there would be no problems with strollers, right? It's precisely because this is NY that being considerate of others is so important. And my point is: those people who bring strollers into the subway cars are uncivil, inconsiderate, and selfish. It's not about being parents per se, but about how they behave as a parent (another example: uncivilized children in restaurants).

Following your reasoning if a stroller steps on the foot of someone, should the victim have the right to smack the self-entitled parent?
Someone who brings a stoller onto the the subway isn't necessarily inconsiderate by that very act. Most try to stay out of other people's way on the train.

If there are no seats, just how is a mother(or father) supposed to hold a child, a stroller and hold onto the pole?

I can guarantee you that *you've* gotten in someone else's way on the train at some point--we all do. This isn't a big deal.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:51 PM

74 posts, read 125,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanintllctl View Post

Well buddy, good luck telling people with children where to live!

Oh, my wife and I intentionally bring our baby on the trains to annoy others because we all know, people who have children in New York are just such uncivil, inconsiderate and selfish creeps. Don't worry bro, since we all know that YOU live in this city, we should just pack our bags and have your second baby in Bumblesfruck, WY. We apologize for our baby having to breath your oxygen for the first 17 months of his life. SORRY!

Also, we intentionally make him sick, sleepy and hungry so that he'll be crying constantly while you try to enjoy reading an important literary work on your Kindle. Lastly, we buy the biggest stroller we can find just to stuff it full of things we don't need, like diapers and bottles JUST to prevent you from getting off the train and catching the express across the platform.

You know what, sometimes, I just don't feel like taking my BMW to take my baby to the doctors. Parking spots are just too easy to find in the city!

Hey urbanintllctl, you keep mentioning civility. Why don't you look up what it means and how it applies?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,383 times
Actually the MTA rule for subway riding clearly states that your child remain buckle in to the stroller while riding the subway. Infact they say the only time you should take your child out of the stroller is when using an escalator.And as for the McLaren comment they are one of the most affordable strollers out there. So by saying if you can afford one you can afford a taxi is also very ignorant.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I can tell you as an MTA employee: the rule is that you're supposed to fold them up on the subway. But as you know, it's almost impossible to enforce (unless, of course, everyone who's offended starts making a lot of noise. If you begin a campaign directing complaints about this to MTA, they'll start enforcing the rule).

By the way, people bring a lot worse things than big strollers onto the subway. But we can probably complain about that in a different thread!
Well the stroller folding rule should be enforced during rush hours when the subway trains are very crowded.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:08 PM

364 posts, read 708,415 times
Many times I see women with strollers but no babies inside.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:10 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
Many times I see women with strollers but no babies inside.

I see that often near my work because there is a daycare nearby. They take the child to daycare in the stroller but then don't leave it there.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Obviously someone who has never had a child in the city.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM

364 posts, read 708,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I see that often near my work because there is a daycare nearby. They take the child to daycare in the stroller but then don't leave it there.
Is there a reason why they don't leave the stroller there? (Worried of getting it stolen? No storage space on premise?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City