Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,923,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
You really should check out Mumbai or Rio De Janiero when you get a chance.
I can speak on Rio de Janeiro. In Rio, the disparity between the rich and poor is extremely noticeable. You have favelas on mountainsides on Ipanema. Also, a high % of people live in Favelas (slums).

You have rich compounds with private security next to slums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,222,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
That part of your post is hilarious. There's really nothing more to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
Sure there is; why YOU find it hilarious?

Because it reminds me of this little fella...

http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-E...o-beaver-7.jpg

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-10-2011 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Copyright issue

Old 10-10-2011, 01:13 PM

615 posts, read 1,677,590 times
Quote:
Because it reminds me of this little fella...

Huh? That's before my time.

Still don't get it. You like using illustrations vs. words/dialogue?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:16 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,222,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
Huh? That's before my time.

Still don't get it. You like using illustrations vs. words/dialogue?

I find it more enjoyable, yes. The internetz are fun like that.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:23 PM

615 posts, read 1,677,590 times
Quote:
I find it more enjoyable, yes. The internetz are fun like that.
hahaha...ok; duly noted. ahahaha

So entertaining!

Quote:
I'm surprised it took you this long to notice the imbalance of this city and how many blatantly overlook this. I'll never forget an experience I had when we initially moved to the city many years ago. I was dumbfound and "frozen" in place when I saw the first homeless person in my life (may have been a drug addict too) laying on the side walk. People hustling about and business as usual.......very sad, but something that is very common here.

Ok, I will expand why I posted that comment (above) to the OP since I appeared to "hit" a funny bone with some.

I was not a lil' caucasian boy living in a "buble". However, as a child I saw for the first time a human being laying on a city sidewalk and probably dead for all I know (over dose). Thus, why I was "dumbfound"/"frozen" from my 1st experience as a CHILD seeing this.

In reality, this is not something that anyone should find "hilarious" and joke about. However, I have no control over people's behavior.

Enough said...have a good day.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,068,396 times
Great, just great, another thread that goes downhill. Mike Bloomberg does a great job hiding the poor people of NYC from the tourist and even the transplants but that has been changing lately since many poor places of NYC gain notoriourity in popularity and the consturctions of condos and conversion of coops right across the street from houosing pjs and drug infested tenements. Look at all those kids from Wisconsin who move to NYC and have to live off of thier fathers 30k a year pension from the cheese factory, while he attends occupy wall street, buys another pair of flip flop or converse, has a cup of grande at starbucks and texts his or her friends on his latest iphone 4s!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 10-10-2011 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 01:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Great just great, another thread that goes downhill. Mike Bloomberg does a great job hiding the poor people of NYC from the tourist and even the transplants but that has been changing lately since many poor places of NYC gain notoriourity in popularity and the consturctions of condos and conversion of coops right across the street from houosing pjs and drug infested tenements. Look at all those kids from Wisconsin who move to NYC and have to live off of thier fathers 30k a year pension from the cheese factory, while he attends occupy wall street, buys another pair of flip flop or converse, has a cup of grande at starbucks and texts his or her friends on his latest iphone 4s!
D**n you're good at squeezing in multiple stereotypes in one sentence!

Old 10-10-2011, 02:03 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,068,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
D**n you're good at squeezing in multiple stereotypes in one sentence!
Sorry I was replying from my android phone!

Old 10-10-2011, 05:48 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,679,571 times
Hmmm...ok.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:58 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,563,827 times
I don't understand how it took you so long to notice this. Even as a kid, the disparities of neighborhoods next to each other were right in your face (prime examples UES & East Harlem or how the wealthy Park Slope is only a couple of blocks away from mainly lower class Crown Heights with small mixed Prospect Heights right in between). That's one of those things that has made New York very distinctive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City