Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,069 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I am new to this forum but there seems to be a ton of useful information and feedback. I am in the process of exploring a job offer and move to Brooklyn. The salary would be in the 90-100k range with good insurance benefits. I am a 30 yrs old and single (and looking) male. I would be looking to live in Brooklyn.

I would prefer to keep rent in the $1500-$2000 range.

My monthly expenses in Kansas City are as follows.

Rent: $900
Car: $350
Utilities: $250
Student Loan: $160
Cable/Internet: $100
Food/Entertainment: $1300
Dry Cleaning: $80
Misc: $200

The new salary is about 45% higher than my current salary. I have a few questions for the group.

1) What can I expect to take home with the higher NYC taxes?

2) Am I going to be able to find a decent size 1br apt (600 sq ft) in Central Brooklyn within my price range? As I will be very busy with work for the first year, I am not looking for anything too fancy.

3) Compared to my expenses in KC, will I be able to maintain a similar lifestyle on the salary that has been offered?

4) Which parts of Brooklyn are the safest? I do not plan to keep my car so an area near transit (bus/subway) will be a must.

5) What would I expect to pay for a 1br at a doorman or full service building in Brooklyn?

I appreciate any advice that can be offered. This would be a huge move for me as I am a KC native.

Looking forward to the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdgdo View Post
Hi All. I am new to this forum but there seems to be a ton of useful information and feedback. I am in the process of exploring a job offer and move to Brooklyn. The salary would be in the 90-100k range with good insurance benefits. I am a 30 yrs old and single (and looking) male. I would be looking to live in Brooklyn.

I would prefer to keep rent in the $1500-$2000 range.

My monthly expenses in Kansas City are as follows.

Rent: $900
Car: $350
Utilities: $250
Student Loan: $160
Cable/Internet: $100
Food/Entertainment: $1300
Dry Cleaning: $80
Misc: $200

The new salary is about 45% higher than my current salary. I have a few questions for the group.

1) What can I expect to take home with the higher NYC taxes?

2) Am I going to be able to find a decent size 1br apt (600 sq ft) in Central Brooklyn within my price range? As I will be very busy with work for the first year, I am not looking for anything too fancy.

3) Compared to my expenses in KC, will I be able to maintain a similar lifestyle on the salary that has been offered?

4) Which parts of Brooklyn are the safest? I do not plan to keep my car so an area near transit (bus/subway) will be a must.

5) What would I expect to pay for a 1br at a doorman or full service building in Brooklyn?

I appreciate any advice that can be offered. This would be a huge move for me as I am a KC native.

Looking forward to the feedback.

This is 100% do-able on your salary, but the 1br apts may be more in the 450-500sq foot range for the price and doorman buildings are on the rare side (and more expensive). There's a lot of neighborhoods in BK close to transportation. Check out Park Slope, Boerum Hill, Prospect Heights and Windsor Terrace. There's more neighborhoods out there, but those are in spots close to transportation without a long commute and have lots to offer in terms of restaurants.

You may have to visit the NYC and NY state websites to find out what your tax bracket is. It does take a bite out of one's salary.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 PM

241 posts, read 591,751 times
Hey! I lived in the area. Lawrence and St. Louis. Welcome!

45% jump in salary would mean you will need to make very few sacrifices. Way to go!! Particularly you're getting rid of the car, that free up a lot of $$.

Okay, you say you don't need anything fancy, but then you say you want full service. Full service will cost ya and get you outside the $2000 if you want it centrally located too.

Where is your work? Near transit is not a problem. Near the right transit (ie the right train line) could be very helpful.

Food is insanely expensive! And it really depends on what you mean by "entertainment" to know if that's realistic. But you have a very comfortable budget, everything should be able to work, as long as your expectations are not in whack.

I'm relatively new to the city, so plenty more people can give you better advice.

Dating is challenging. Mainly because it's surprising hard to meet people in a sea of people. It really depends on how out-going you are.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:17 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,814,176 times
The previous poster makes a point, you say nothing fancy, but doorman and full service are 'fancy' for most people.

In Brooklyn, for a 1bdrm with doorman and service, you'll likely need to find a coop rental AND to keep in your price range you'll need to go a little deep into Brooklyn. I suggest you start looking on Ocean Parkway beginning at Church Avenue. Many buildings meet your criteria with doorman, parking and some with pool. Though virtually all will be coops. It is nice, safe, and very residential. For nightlife you'll head into Manhattan.

Generally though people such as yourself with the income prefer to live closer to Manhattan in certain popular and trendy Brooklyn neighborhoods. Though, for doorman and service you'll need to raise your budget substantially. $3000 w/b a general starting point for a 1 bdrm. For that there is generally 2 neighborhoods, Brooklyn Heights and/or Park Slope which are, respectively, the leading neighborhoods in Brooklyn and the most expensive, Brooklyn Heights a little more so than Park Slope.

Both are old Brownstone neighborhoods with few full service Manhattan type apartment buildings. Again, most will be coops, but are truly full service. I do not believe any have garages or pools. Both areas have a nice neighborhood nightlife with restaurants, coffee houses, bookstores and other shops. These are very yuppie liberal/progressive neighborhoods with a sense of community for long time residents.

There are a number of newly built buildings in and around downtown Brooklyn with doorman and service, but again $3000 is a basic starting point for rent. Depending on circumstance, rent could be less or more.

I strongly suggest you consider Hunter's Point in Queens. There you'll find a relatively new community in a reinvigorated old neighborhood. Its old and new at the same time, with a cluster of several brand new Manhattan style glass towers with doorman, service and a host of amenities such as, garages, pools, rooftop lounges, community rooms, outdoor areas and events.

Most everyone is a new NYer recently moved to the city. It is a very young yuppie community with a great waterfront park. The apartments have some of the best views in all of NYC. There is a handful of restaurants, bars, a coffe house, and a few other shops. Small but growing.

Hunter's Point is the best affordable option for doorman, service and garage. Depending on size, amenities, etc., 1 bdrms run $2500 to $3500, and parking is roughly an additional $200. Btw, when you do find a building with parking it is rarely included with the rent.

As far as your budget and salary, you'll be alright as a single, and be capable of maintaing your basic lifestyle, but your 45% bump in salary will all be eaten up by NYC's higher cost of living. If you want to save, it w/b be best to either get a roommate or downscale the above or both!

Enjoy the city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: