Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonykhl557 View Post
umm whats matthias mean????
Heston's main adversary in the Omega Man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 01:30 PM

9 posts, read 16,677 times
i guess ill have to watch it to know what your talking about...

Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
It will come through loud and clear within about 5 minutes.

Plus its a good movie.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:28 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Don't listen to Sobroguy. Saying that 175th street around the Concourse is worse than Mott Haven is like saying dying in your sleep is worse than getting shot.

Look at all the crime statistics, poverty rate etc ...Mott Haven and sorrounding neighborhoods are many times worse than the middle Concourse area. The south Bronx is full of PR junkies and trigger happy blacks.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I would caution taking any advice from anyone who injects race into this. Full of PR junkies? Trigger happy blacks? Really? That's not only a grossly wrong statement, but shows the mentality of the people purporting to give you advice.

There are many people on here who are completely engulfed by a sea of poverty and all the social ills that come with that, and don't know anything else besides that...so that's all they will ever talk about. They are the same people who are busy "hating" PRs, or "Blacks are the problem", or whatever group they are battling today because that's all they do. Is this the person you want to take advice from?

Yikes! Unless you plan on living in the housing projects, or section 8 housing filled with the destitute, and making friends with them and becoming a thug, then I would ignore anything that SuperWario, or those like him, spew.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:13 AM

297 posts, read 729,320 times
SOrry, but I think people busting a cap in the South Bronx are muti-racial...it aint a black thing

Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 AM

People "busting a cap" anywhere come from all backgrounds, colors, and socioeconomic backgrounds. That being said, in the inner city like NYC, drugs fuel much of the street level crime, so if you stay out of the drug scene, and away from the homeys hanging around on the corner/projects, you can live decently with basic street smarts and common sense.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
...so if you stay out of the drug scene, and away from the homeys hanging around on the corner/projects, you can live decently with basic street smarts and common sense
While I do somewhat agree with this, you're QOL still sucks and that is no way to live in my opinion. I learned that a long time ago. This is a big city and there are lots of options.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM

QOL sucks overall in NYC unless you are truly wealthy. This is certainly a big city, for those with deep pockets. Everyone else just sucks it up and deals with it, b/c we wouldn't be anywhere else!

But I do agree that some neighborhoods have better QOL than others, and the Southern Bronx is definitely low on the list...but it's changing rapidly. We have a flood of new retail, restaurants, services, upgraded infrastructure/sidewalks/tree plantings, new parks, and access to the waterfront for the first time in 30+ years. We are getting top notch new buildings, and entire city blocks are being redeveloped and repositioned all at once. Things are changing, but most won't notice as they drive by along the Deegan or Bruckner.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:13 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
QOL sucks overall in NYC unless you are truly wealthy. This is certainly a big city, for those with deep pockets. Everyone else just sucks it up and deals with it, b/c we wouldn't be anywhere else!

But I do agree that some neighborhoods have better QOL than others, and the Southern Bronx is definitely low on the list...but it's changing rapidly. We have a flood of new retail, restaurants, services, upgraded infrastructure/sidewalks/tree plantings, new parks, and access to the waterfront for the first time in 30+ years. We are getting top notch new buildings, and entire city blocks are being redeveloped and repositioned all at once. Things are changing, but most won't notice as they drive by along the Deegan or Bruckner.
And you talk about supermario bringing the Bronx down??? you just brought the whole city down with that statement just to somehow find a way to support the changes in the South Bronx...

Point is... to the OP, you shouldn't take advice from anyone who isn't licensed to give it... That's why I think it's not smart period to look for answers to how an area is based on what is basically a blog... Check it out for yourself and see if it is right for you...

@ sobroguy, as for your comment on only the rich have a good QOL in this city... wow... is all I can say... I guess the working class to working middle class to middle class people living in this city in a number of areas throughout Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Staten Island are secretly hiding hundreds of thousands of dollars to the public because it's the only way to live in this city... Geez... and all this time I was doing pretty well... I didn't realize my neighborhood was a hellhole and I was poor outta my mind... Thanks for clarifying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: